View Full Version : Exercise: I never would have believed it really helps!

stef
09-10-15, 06:48 AM
Benefits to exercise ? I never would have believed it. I dislike playing any sports and anything related to “working out”, gyms, jogging, whatever, send back nightmare memories of gym class and being uncoordinated and picked last for every sport. I’ve always walked a lot because we don’t have a car but that’s it. If I walk “because I feel I should”, for the sole purpose of walking, I end up hating it. and I hate hiking with a passion, if you need sturdy shoes and a map it’s not fun anymore. The exercise threads here mainly made me feel inadequate and vaguely annoyed.

Also vigorous exercise does nothing for me; I feel tired and frustrated and instead of calm, it just makes all of the things in my mind spin faster.

Anyway, this all came about without any plans; It was a difficult year and I lost some weight from losing my appetite; when I started feeling better I realized I felt physically better from losing those few extra pounds; I started eating healthier and a little less without going on A Diet; the pool in my town reopened this year, it’s been completely remodeled so I started going on Sundays, but especially just because it was hot out; and when I was swimming I noticed how great this felt after a few laps and it was so good for my back! And I started doing some “ab crunches” at home. I bought a new rug (rather than an ugly, intimidating exercise mat) , I literally just have to slide off the couch and exercise a little in front of the TV.

So, if you HATE these kind of things as much as I do, think about some kind of activity which doesn’t seem unpleasant or daunting and go for it! really you can feel better with way less effort than you had ever imagined.

Fuzzy12
09-10-15, 06:55 AM
I've found that it's absolutely crucial for me to find something that I would enjoy unless I just can't stick to it. I was a member of our local gym for about 7 years and I probably went about 7 times. :rolleyes:

I love swimming too. I find it super relaxing. It's something I'd even do if it didn't have any major health benefits. I rarely go swimming though because it requires so much initial effort, going to the pool, changing, making sure I'm completely hair free, etc. :rolleyes: Uggh..and then having a shower in the sports centre.. :rolleyes: I need to find a good way to simplify all this stuff. :scratch:

Unmanagable
09-10-15, 08:57 AM
YES!!!! Whenever I tried typical workouts/gym memberships/attending classes/using the terminology "workout", etc. I would loathe it and avoid it and have those same feelings in being inadequate.

When I spontaneously dance, hula hoop, hop on the machine that was gifted to me, walk in my favorite woods that I don't need a map or special shoes for, gardening, yard work, etc., it never feels like "a workout", but I benefit from it just the same, if not more.

When I don't make it a point to be active in some way that I enjoy within a day, I end up wallowing in the sorrows that surround me much sooner, and stay situated there much longer.

It's like I can feel the energies of the endless worries building up and picking up steam, and becoming active (Other than in my damn head) helps to shake that s*** loose.

I think I've mostly learned that when I try to mimic how other people do something, without giving it my own flavor and tweaking it to be how I need it vs. giving more weight to how I think everyone else thinks I need it, then I rarely, if ever, benefit. Other than once again learning what NOT to do. lol

stef
09-10-15, 09:06 AM
I rarely go swimming though because it requires so much initial effort, going to the pool, changing, making sure I'm completely hair free, etc. :rolleyes: Uggh..and then having a shower in the sports centre.. :rolleyes: I need to find a good way to simplify all this stuff. :scratch:

It's only a 10 minute walk from my apartment. I just put my swimsuit on under a tshirt type dress before I leave. I don't "do" locker rooms and public showers!!! I just bring towels, money for entrance fee (I dont have a membership) and a hair clip and the strict minium to fix my face after being assaulted by chlorine. Believe me, if it weren't this easy I wouldn't go and even so it takes me at least half an hour to make up my mind to go, and put these few items into a bag.

TygerSan
09-10-15, 10:36 AM
I can so relate. Somehow I think my husband might've killed me long ago if I hadn't started running. it keeps my mood more stable, and I've even gone out when I'm ticked at the world and felt better afterwards.

I love to swim but hate the way chlorine dries my skin and hair out. One of the things I like about running is that I can put on an outfit and go out the door if I so choose. I prefer running in a slightly less urban environment, but if I'm just going out for a quick 4 miles, I can.