View Full Version : Winter depression

midnightstar
09-10-15, 05:23 PM
I know from previous years that when it gets to November through to when spring starts that I do get depressed, is it worth seeing the doctor before November starts so it doesn't get bad like it did 2 years ago?

namazu
09-10-15, 05:33 PM
Yes.

If you are not taking medication for it now, but feel like it's looming, you may be able to restart it before things get bad, and prevent them from getting bad.

Also, there are some non-medication things you can do to stave off seasonal depression, including using a light box and having strategies in place to be sure you're getting out enough, getting exercise, and watching for signs that you may need to take a more active approach (like seeing your doctor again and/or starting medication if you notice that you're starting to sleep the days away or feeling hopeless).

Unmanagable
09-10-15, 06:01 PM
Have your doc check your vitamin D levels, too. I'll be ordering extra D3 in the next few days in preparation for myself.

Getting rid of as much unnecessary stuff as I can now, too, to lessen the feeling of suffocating self in useless stuff when I'm spending more time indoors.

Brightening up my favorite room(s) with things I love and removing energy draining stuff.

Making room in more than one room to be able to hula hoop inside.

Stocking up on joint relieving tools for the aches and pains that accompany the damper cooler weather.

Wishing I could relocate to a tropical scene and be fanned all day on a sandy beach as I'm fed grapes until the cold gloomy days expire. lol

Lunacie
09-10-15, 07:59 PM
I think the Vitamin D-3 helps me too. Before I started taking this supplement
the depression would start closing in on me around the start of the school year,
which is the last of August here. I also take an antidepressant, Sertraline.

demfabbones
10-05-15, 03:43 PM
Heck yeah! Being proactive is always a good idea.

I feel ya on this, too. Some things I do that have helped me:

Plan fun activities for the times of day I know are most anxiety-inducing. (For me, I feel most anxious when the sun goes down, because I start to think, "It's night. How am I going to be entertained and not anxious for the rest of this long, dreary night?" So if I plan something for 6 or 7 p.m., I have that to look forward to when the sun is setting at 5 or 5:30.)

Get outside as much as possible when the sun is out, even if it's cold.

Get outside even if it's dark, if you live in a neighborhood where it's safe to do so. I go on walks sometimes if it's not too cold. I've slightly retrained my brain into enjoying the cold/darkness. I'm never going to like it as much as warm daylight, but I don't hate it as much as I used to because I feel less trapped in my house.

Exercise! Of course. Join a gym and it doesn't matter what the weather's like outside.

I've never tried a light box and I haven't found one available in my area, but at times of desperation I slather on the SPF and hit the tanning bad. Yes, I know it's bad for you ... but desperate times call for desperate measures, and I truly believe it helps me.

TangledWebs
10-05-15, 05:40 PM
Yes, I would if I were you. Sounds like you could have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

stef
10-06-15, 03:58 AM
Heck yeah! Being proactive is always a good idea.

I feel ya on this, too. Some things I do that have helped me:

Plan fun activities for the times of day I know are most anxiety-inducing. (For me, I feel most anxious when the sun goes down, because I start to think, "It's night. How am I going to be entertained and not anxious for the rest of this long, dreary night?" So if I plan something for 6 or 7 p.m., I have that to look forward to when the sun is setting at 5 or 5:30.)

Get outside as much as possible when the sun is out, even if it's cold.

Get outside even if it's dark, if you live in a neighborhood where it's safe to do so. I go on walks sometimes if it's not too cold. I've slightly retrained my brain into enjoying the cold/darkness. I'm never going to like it as much as warm daylight, but I don't hate it as much as I used to because I feel less trapped in my house.

Exercise! Of course. Join a gym and it doesn't matter what the weather's like outside.

I've never tried a light box and I haven't found one available in my area, but at times of desperation I slather on the SPF and hit the tanning bad. Yes, I know it's bad for you ... but desperate times call for desperate measures, and I truly believe it helps me.

I'm so glad you started this thread because I have the SAME problem, and it's been since I moved to Europe with these rainy fall and winter days. (the winters are brutal in the US midwest but much brighter)

All of this is great advice!
Especially planning fun activities during the worst parts of the day. Or just expect you"re going to feel bad - watch some youtube or shows you like, or whatever is relaxing and distracting. If you can catch yourself physically reacting to the weather before you start having horrible thoughts you will have a way better day. This is now just a short window of time for me, I easily lose confidence at work (sudden feeling of I have no idea what I'm doing/just an imposter/no one here likes me). Last fall was very difficult and now as soon as I see the sky going bad I am upset.

I have a light box, they really help; i use it for like 15 minutes in the mornings before work and then at least 30 min Sundays (I'm rarely home on Saturday late afternoon but that's ok i go to bright, happy places :) ). I'm waiting to get it out till we change times and move back an hour (why??? why must this happen :confused:) ?

I think it helps to see this as a physical problem more than psychological. And finally, goodness if there's sun, GO OUTSIDE. even if you feel a little better because your room is brighter, etc.

Fuzzy12
10-06-15, 05:58 AM
Yes..and all the great advice you got from the others. Hope this winter won6 be too bad. :grouphug:

midnightstar
10-06-15, 06:06 AM
Yes..and all the great advice you got from the others. Hope this winter won6 be too bad. :grouphug:

Hope not Fuzz :grouphug:

I'm hoping that my walking talking comedy routine aka Tigger will help keep the depression at bay this winter (because I can't go to work's occupational health just yet until I know for certain and have the letter saying that my 6 months probation is up and the job is mine permanently - that's because I have heard that if we take sick leave a lot then we're more likely to be let go so I don't want to be going down the sick leave route nor do I want to have to let work know about the depression while it's not interfering with my work just in case because I know how hard it is to get work round here and don't want to go back to unemployment)

Lunacie
10-06-15, 11:19 AM
If you can get some Vitamin D3 it'd be worth giving it a try. It helps me.
The depression used to begin closing in on me at this time of year, and
though I've felt it's nasty little tentacles probing at me, they haven't gotten
a grip on my psyche. :D

stef
10-06-15, 11:42 AM
What's the right dose of vitamin D3?
I bought some at Target (I'm at work, I cant remember what it is...), but I'm running out and I've seen I can get some online (they dont really have it over the couter in pharmacies).

TracyLauren
10-06-15, 11:50 AM
Imagine working all day in a basement with no windows or plumbing. The lighting is intentionally low and there's a constant drone of fans and other noises coming from racks and racks of computers humming away 24 hours a day. The air conditioning is on year round to keep the equipment cooled so I need a space heater at my desk. In the dead of winter I go to work in the dark, work in the dark, and go home in the dark. I need more than a vitamin I think!

stef
10-06-15, 12:12 PM
IT jobs can be terrible! my husband wasn't with the servers but there were no windows and he would have certain shifts where he would never see daylight in winter
(he has regular office hours now and doesn't have to run programs anymore)

Lunacie
10-06-15, 12:15 PM
What's the right dose of vitamin D3?
I bought some at Target (I'm at work, I cant remember what it is...), but I'm running out and I've seen I can get some online (they dont really have it over the couter in pharmacies).

It's different for everyone. It sucks that you can't get them OTC.

Mine come in 400 IU gel tabs. I take two a day most of the year, but when
I noticed those dark tentacles I bumped it up to three each morning. Some
people take even more than that to get relief. So far, three is covering it.

TracyLauren
10-06-15, 12:23 PM
Vitamin D doesn't seem to help me much but maybe I wasn't taking enough. Believe it or not I have trouble remembering to take pills at different times in the day but this winter I have a new prescription that I need to take in the evening. Perhaps I can add the D to that dose.

Lunacie
10-06-15, 12:30 PM
Vitamin D doesn't seem to help me much but maybe I wasn't taking enough. Believe it or not I have trouble remembering to take pills at different times in the day but this winter I have a new prescription that I need to take in the evening. Perhaps I can add the D to that dose.

Yeah, I'm leery of taking too much of anything, but a little bit more seems to
be helping where only two wasn't enough.

I can't remember to take pills at different times of the day either. Sometimes
I forget to take my morning meds! I got a pill minder box and take all of them
at the same time every morning because that's the only way I remember to
do it at all.

I've recently read that many of them work better if taken with food so I've
been trying to eat a snack in the morning ... never been a breakfast person.

TracyLauren
10-06-15, 12:44 PM
I now have two of those little weekly pill boxes, one for morning and one for the evening, and I still forget to take my pills occasionally. I keep a full day dose in my purse for those days I get to work and remember I forgot to take my pills!<O:p</O:p

demfabbones
10-27-15, 02:50 PM
I have a light box, they really help; i use it for like 15 minutes in the mornings before work and then at least 30 min Sundays (I'm rarely home on Saturday late afternoon but that's ok i go to bright, happy places :) ). I'm waiting to get it out till we change times and move back an hour (why??? why must this happen :confused:) ?

I should probably just get one. I bet it isn't that expensive, especially if I compare the cost to what I would spend on tanning... and you know, the whole not getting cancer thing is pretty appealing, too.

Yeah, daylight savings. Ugh. So dumb. Dark at 4:30 here in the dead of winter.

excelsior
10-29-15, 04:21 PM
I'm glad someone started a thread on this! I moved a few weeks ago, and my new apartment is NICE! Except... I don't get a lot of sunlight.

I get the winter blues. Maybe talk to the doc about getting my Prozac dosage increased? I'm on that, and Adderall.

coffeesudoku
01-21-16, 12:26 AM
Yes, the best thing that you can do would be to see the doctor. That way he will be able to give you the medicine that you need so that you can feel much better.

aeon
01-21-16, 01:04 AM
Iíve been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

As if the dysthymia wasnít enough! :rolleyes:

I was going to try getting a light, but I have found that I can keep it fully at bay (and the dysthymia too!) with the combination of 450mg bupropion daily and exercise.

Cheers,
Ian