View Full Version : Starting a habit..

Shhhhh
09-10-15, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, so I was diagnosed with add back in the end of may and its ridiculous how much the medication for add works! I'm 17 and I started with 5mg of Adderall, then 10, and now 20. Ill make this as short as possible. When taking these doses I obtained a tolerance to them rather quickly, although I think 5 and 10 were a bit to low because I often have a natural tolerance to really every just about every type of drug. Anyways 20mg seemed perfect, I was focusing on work and doing it at such a higher level as I was actually interested in it! Its ir by the way.

Due to the fact that its ir, the max length is 6 hours, when even in the beginning 20mg only lasted 4 hours. Point of this is that a school day is 8 1/2 hours and so the addy doesn't last long enough and my doctor seems to think that Adderall is a once a day medication and that she cant prescribe me 2 a day. As I did some research I immediately saw that most websites describing ir Adderall say its meant to be taken multiple times throughout the day and she's telling me that she cant do it because its not meant to be taken like that.

Ok sorry that was background, closing up; I resorted to taking 2 a day for school, and I'm starting to think that I'm basing if the drug is working or not based off the motivation and euphoria. Today for the first time I seriously abused the medication and took 4. I never have taken that much and today it seemed I was chasing a high more than taking the meds to attend my add symptoms. It was rather strange, I just kept going to the bathroom to pop another one, it literally was like it was out of my control. Now that I took so many I worry my tolerance is pretty high now.

I get addicted easily to things(nicotine,weed) but I have quit when I felt like I need to but I don't want to mess with amphetamines. Any advice? It really does help me so much and to be honest I would probably of never done this if I had consistent coverage off my add throughout the day. Should I take a break for a while and try talking to a dr. who actually knows about add meds? I have asked her questions about the medication(s) and she gave incorrect answers to. (She told me that Adderall isn't affected by food and that vyvanse lasts the same amount of time as ir Adderall) Not so short huh :/

dvdnvwls
09-10-15, 10:22 PM
You don't have tolerance, and you don't need a break. You can take a break if you want to though - it won't do any harm.

Stop taking your medication wrong. Just stop. It doesn't matter why you did it, it doesn't matter how much you did it - just don't do that.

If you can see a doctor who's more knowledgeable, then I think you really should.

sarahsweets
09-11-15, 02:21 AM
I get addicted easily to things(nicotine,weed) but I have quit when I felt like I need to but I don't want to mess with amphetamines. Any advice? It really does help me so much and to be honest I would probably of never done this if I had consistent coverage off my add throughout the day.
Yes you would have abused it regardless of coverage because you said you get addicted to things easily. Its nice to think that its because you dont have enough meds for the day but thats just an excuse.
Should I take a break for a while and try talking to a dr. who actually knows about add meds? I have asked her questions about the medication(s) and she gave incorrect answers to. (She told me that Adderall isn't affected by food and that vyvanse lasts the same amount of time as ir Adderall) Not so short huh :/
Yes. Finding a doc that knows more and is willing to work with you is key. It was not tolerance despite what you say happens to you with meds. Tolerance is actually a very rare occurence. You need to get a handle on this now before you cause harm and are unable to stop. And this is coming from one alcoholic to another possible addict- meds arent totally out of the question, but your behavior is in red flag territory.

Shhhhh
09-12-15, 01:09 PM
I appreciate the responses, guess I' am making excuses but just don't want to think of it like that. I meant taking a break as in maybe if I stop for a while ill forget about the Adderall and just get used to not being on it, and then maybe when I get back on it I wont feel the need to abuse it. Also any advice about finding another doctor? I hope its not as long as a process as getting diagnosed with add is.. I'm thinking of going back on vyvanse as it is harder to abuse.

Shhhhh
09-12-15, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=sarahsweets;1754773] It was not tolerance despite what you say happens to you with meds. Tolerance is actually a very rare occurence.

Uh I'm 100% sure that tolerance is a VERY common occurrence, especially with amphetamines. I looked up tolerance to Adderall when I was wondering why the Adderall wasn't working like it did so quickly, and from hours of just reading everyone said that tolerance with any stimulant medication is ridiculously easy to obtain. Given of course you cant just believe people on the internet but when 100% of them say that its hard to ignore.

Lunacie
09-12-15, 02:02 PM
Uh I'm 100% sure that tolerance is a VERY common occurrence, especially with amphetamines. I looked up tolerance to Adderall when I was wondering why the Adderall wasn't working like it did so quickly, and from hours of just reading everyone said that tolerance with any stimulant medication is ridiculously easy to obtain. Given of course you cant just believe people on the internet but when 100% of them say that its hard to ignore.

If you are looking at personal reporting, you may find a lot of people who
think they've built a tolerance to their stimulant meds.

But if you talk to doctors with knowledge of ADHD, they will say that there
can be many reasons to experience what looks like tolerance to meds.

I suggest you rule those other factors out before you decide this isn't the
med for you. Check this link. Medscape Drug Tolerance (http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/529856)

Some people have a very difficult time with taking the meds as prescribed ...
either forgetting to take them or taking more than they should. A couple of
things that can help are putting each days dose into one of those plastic pill
minder boxes, or having someone else be in charge of giving you your meds
and locking them away. We often see people using these methods.

Shhhhh
09-12-15, 04:40 PM
If you are looking at personal reporting, you may find a lot of people who
think they've built a tolerance to their stimulant meds.

But if you talk to doctors with knowledge of ADHD, they will say that there
can be many reasons to experience what looks like tolerance to meds.

I suggest you rule those other factors out before you decide this isn't the
med for you. Check this link. Medscape Drug Tolerance (http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/529856)

Some people have a very difficult time with taking the meds as prescribed ...
either forgetting to take them or taking more than they should. A couple of
things that can help are putting each days dose into one of those plastic pill
minder boxes, or having someone else be in charge of giving you your meds
and locking them away. We often see people using these methods.

Yea something I've tried when I go to school is I take only one with me and leave the rest at home so I cant take more. I have to do this impulsively though because if I think about it I end up taking them all with me. I'm gonna take a break from them and deal with my add and hopefully when I'm ready ill get back on them as they do really help me. I'm looking for an answer to my problems when they're isn't really one, I just got to stop like Dvdnvwls said. Thank you :)