View Full Version : What is the opposite of a bad feeling?

mildadhd
09-13-15, 11:39 AM
What is the opposite of a bad feeling?

p

Greyhound1
09-13-15, 11:45 AM
That's an interesting question. I would think the opposite would be a good feeling but I looked it up anyway.

http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-opposite-of/bad_feeling.html

mildadhd
09-13-15, 11:54 AM
"a good feeling"

Good feelings.

Thanks

Friendship, Loving..

http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-opposite-of/bad_feeling.html

P

dvdnvwls
09-13-15, 01:33 PM
It depends how strictly you define the term "opposite". In some sense, a bad feeling is a unique thing without any opposite at all. Sort of like "What's the opposite of tofu"? - there's no possible truly-correct answer.

mildadhd
09-13-15, 07:27 PM
It depends how strictly you define the term "opposite". In some sense, a bad feeling is a unique thing without any opposite at all. Sort of like "What's the opposite of tofu"? - there's no possible truly-correct answer.

Do you feel you dislike tofu, or, do you feel you like tofu?

P

mildadhd
09-13-15, 08:09 PM
Does tofu make me feel unhappy or feel happy? (biological emotional feelings)

Does tofu make me feel hungry or feel not hungry? (biological homeostatic feelings)

Does tofu taste bad or taste good? (biological sensory feelings)

P

dvdnvwls
09-13-15, 08:55 PM
Do you feel you dislike tofu, or, do you feel you like tofu?

P

It's not about that - that's the wrong question. The question is, what's the exact opposite of tofu? (and the answer to it is that there is no opposite of tofu, because tofu isn't part of a pair of opposites. Dark is the opposite of light; full is the opposite of empty; but there are many things that have no opposite at all.)

I'm saying that I think some feelings don't have opposites at all - that those feelings just are what they are, without any opposite.

Little Missy
09-13-15, 09:28 PM
tofurkey!

Lunacie
09-13-15, 09:44 PM
I've heard that the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. Same with hate.

So is it the same with a good feeling (or feeling good)? Apathy? Not feeling
anything at all really?

mildadhd
09-13-15, 10:01 PM
It's not about that - that's the wrong question. The question is, what's the exact opposite of tofu? (and the answer to it is that there is no opposite of tofu, because tofu isn't part of a pair of opposites. Dark is the opposite of light; full is the opposite of empty; but there are many things that have no opposite at all.)

I'm saying that I think some feelings don't have opposites at all - that those feelings just are what they are, without any opposite.

But the OP question is about feelings.

So I posted 3 types of basic biological feelings.

Examples..

The opposite of unhappy emotional feelings, is happy emotional feelings.

The opposite of hungry homeostatic feelings, is not hungry homeostatic feelings.

The opposite of bad tasting sensory feelings, is good tasting sensory feelings.

All that being said, I do agree that terms not so based on the actual biology can be confusing.

P

SB_UK
09-13-15, 10:09 PM
A feeling would have to be a guide.

We might have good feelings about becoming wealthy or bad feelings about becoming wealthy, because of the inequality which we're then responsible for driving.

So 2 feelings.

2 models for behaviour.

2 logical modes of operation.

With dramatically different effects on our emotional subsystem.

Completely dependent on worldview.

The child (and the many who don't grow their minds up) favour increasing material wealth.

When in actual fact - that should (if people had a mind) cause profound disorder.

ADHD.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

SB_UK
09-13-15, 10:14 PM
On the sensory level - there's simple exposure to sensory experience ie the 'bang' is too loud (overloads neural sensitivity) regardless of one's world view.

On the homeostatic level - there's simple exposure to homeostatic effectors ie the salt changes the osmotic pressure of bodily compartments regardless of one's world view.

On the emotional level - and this is interesting - see above ... ... but also see this:
http://m.today.duke.edu/2012/12/socialprimate
... ... since the monkey was able to learn by reward system activation when s/he gave that it felt good ... ... to obtain reward from giving AND taking.

We might have good feelings about becoming wealthy or bad feelings about becoming wealthy, because of the inequality which we're then responsible for driving.

And then along comes mind and people pursue only TAKING.

SB_UK
09-13-15, 10:18 PM
So the opposite of a bad feeling is a behaviour; a directionality to behaviour geared towards reversing bad feelings and establishing - happiness (correct defn).

It might be the 'correct' (leading to happiness) or the 'incorrect' (leading to some definition of a growing hunger which leads headlong into overt adiction) behaviour but a behaviour (the opposite of a bad feeling) - it is.

The 'incorrect' behaviour can be differentiated from the 'correct' behaviour by the state we're left (increasingly bad feelings) in when the bilogical 'effects' of exerting that behaviour have worn off.

SB_UK
09-13-15, 10:22 PM
In our case - the bad feeling increases 'hunger'.
The good feeling accomplishes satiety.

We have the mechanisms for standard 'hunger' and satiety and know that the love/desire of ... ... (money/carbs) grows with consumerism/consuming carbs and that satiety (no good feelings when we eat, no bad feelings when we do not) arises in a fat metabolising ketone-adapted state.

-*-

From medial and lateral hypothalamus balance, anorexgenic and orexigenic balance, anterior HPA and posterior HPA, PNS and SNS, narcotic (endogenous opioid) and stimulant (endogenous stimulant), glutamate and GABA BALANCE arises mind, body, spirit homeostasis - peak physiology.

SB_UK
09-13-15, 10:35 PM
How does feeling work from the strict perspective of mind ?

The mind is our own encapsulation of science.
It desires to field the simplest explanatory model over reality.
It is similar to an electrical network.
There's a repeating evolutionary pattern into which it itself wishes to recapitulate - and each tme one shifts one's mind closer to it - one achieves the 'aha!' moment of greater understanding.

So - from the level of mind - 'good feeling' representing the convergence between the logical model of understanding with the evolutionary pattern from which reality unfurls from that initial 'genesis' moment.

The issue is that there has to be mechanism to drive 'good feelings' as the mind consolidates upon the sole model by which reality evolved - and this is simply that the mind, as a product of the same pathway which gave rise to the mind (And the rest of evoluton) will be defined by the drive to achieve happiness (resonant synchrony) with that original pattern - making our arrival at enlightenment as inevitable
(just a matter of time).

And our arrival 'back to the garden' soon thereafter - but we'll note that as we arrive - that people will forget what came before - won't be able to entertain the notion of what floated their boats before.

Will awaken like Dorothy back in Kansas - not be too sure whether their memories of their materialistic people-hating past - were real.

Whether she dreamt it all.

None of that is (properly) human.

Who wants to be a brain surgeon when mind surgery is so much cleaner ?

What once was 'de rigeur' {slavery, racism, abuse, hate ... ... ) losing legitimacy.

We won't be able to do things which are written out of our (new enforcedly social/moral/rational) programming.

Will feel bad if we even think about them.

As it should be.

And then on to a collective exploration of quality - the cerebellar / sensori-motor [micro-circuit] cortical loop
- which has a long way to run.

To be the intrinsic best that we can be, to support other people to be the intrinsic best that they can be.

And not what we have now - of human minds as clogged sewage pipes.

mildadhd
09-13-15, 10:40 PM
What are the differences between aversive feelings (negative valence) and attractive feelings (positive valence)?

P

Valence, as used in psychology, especially in discussing emotions, means the intrinsic attractiveness (positive valence) or aversiveness (negative valence) of an event, object, or situation. However, the term is also used to characterize and categorize specific emotions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valence_(psychology)

mildadhd
09-13-15, 10:52 PM
"The Affective-Cognitive/Cognitive-Affective Renaissance", and, "The Cognitive-Affective/Affective-Cognitive Renaissance".

P

SB_UK
09-13-15, 11:05 PM
Appetite -> <- Satiety [extreme version - aversion] - satiety balances appetite, aversion counter-balances appetite into eg anorexia.

Satiety over-balances appetite.

Materialism.

Appetite -> <- Satiety [extreme version - aversion]
Appetite -> <- Satiety [maladaptive version - aversion]
[maladaptive version - greed] Appetite -> <- Satiety [maladaptive version - aversion]

Goal - to achieve healthy balance.

-*-

<hr style="color:#D1D1E1" size="1">The Affective-Cognitive/Cognitive-Affective Renaissance?

And.

The Cognitive-Affective/Affective-Cognitive Renaissance?
To achieve balance between 'heart' and 'mind'.

However there is no 'heart' - there's simply subconscious logic.

Human beings know what the right (moral) thing to do is.
And tell people that they're it.
But aren't.

Their subconscious models are not aligned.

With subconscious logic (mind) arrayed properly (morally) - the individual both SAYs and FEELs (actual mind and heart) the right (moral) thing.

Back around to famous historical intellectuals (that crossed academic boundaries) being conscientious objectors.

David Bohm occupies pride of place.

SB_UK
09-13-15, 11:26 PM
In conclusion, the EEG substratum of the sleep offset period is characterized by a pattern of increased EEG power in the delta-theta and low-alpha bands, and of decreased power in the beta range. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16242789

Low frequency EEG.

Waking up (in all people).
ADDer brain/mind preferred frequency.

-*-

[a] Earth's magnetic field is weakening.
[b] Schumann resonance peak principal node (theta/alpha EEG) will be becoming more (signal:noise ration) prominent.
[c] Carrier wave for mind - selection for lower frequency neural activity.
[d] E = hf therefore Energy usage reduced.
[e] Fat (ketones) cf epilepsy reduces central nervous excitatory activity.
[f] The melanin pigment can generate short chain fatty acids.

The pattern of Western disorder should represent the emergence of a novel type.

Melanized fungal spores are common in the sediment layers of the early Cretaceous period when many species of animals and plants died out which coincides with the Earth's crossing the “magnetic zero” resulting in the loss of its : “shield” against cosmic radiation [12] (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0000457#pone.0000457-Hulot1)
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0000457

SB_UK
09-13-15, 11:49 PM
Ahhhh
- so from previously - theta (conolidation of memories)
eg
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-playing-field/201402/flow-states-and-creativity
Alpha is associated with day-dreaming mode—when we can slip from thought to thought without much internal resistance. Theta, meanwhile, only shows up during REM or just before we fall asleep, in that hypnogogic gap where ideas combine in truly radical ways. Since creativity is always recombinatory—the product of novel information bumping into old thoughts to create something startling new—being able to slip between thoughts quickly and combine them wildly enhances creativity at a very fundamental levelMan
Class (species model of mind) [theta/alpha EEG interface] -> Object (Individual) [alpha/beta and higher EEG]

Evolution

Class (species model of mind) [theta/alpha EEG interface] -> Object (Individual) [alpha/beta and higher EEG]
ie Class -> Object

Novel class -> class -> individual (object)
Novel class -> novel individual (object) now enforced with the classe rules of the previous stage ie enforced moral consistency

Novel individual - fixed in mind (completed mind)
Novel class (diversity in species quality) -> Novel individual (object) to define (the metaphysics of) quality for him/herself - to add to the species quality landscape.

Definitely.

To imagine human quality contributed by all people into one 'larger' class model - and a model which is difficult to place a limit on.

What is perfect quality ? In the phenomenological world - sensory discrimination down to the fundamental (Planck length) scale - which isn't going to happen :-) soon.

I can't even tell if my rear derailleur is wonky.

A hierarchical transition representing transcendence/mathematical integration/social group formation/abstraction level formation ... ... and so it continues ... ...

SB_UK
09-14-15, 12:08 AM
Summarising
Environmental (galactic environmental) species selection according to the classical rubric of enhanced 'happy' survival; which is a relief - because the low quality life which whether rich or poor live in this current world asphyxiates.
What is the opposite of a bad feeling? It depends on one's programming.
Note - changing model (with speciation) of a model for behaviour which determines whether we feel 'good' or 'bad'.

Personal selective/exclusive ownership feels bad - makes us feel bad - like a burden - a soon to be deprecated model (http://techterms.com/definition/deprecated) (materialism just for the sake) of behaviour.
Personal acquisition of quality (central nervous circuitry of quality) - attracts - feels good - makes us feel good - dominant model.

dvdnvwls
09-14-15, 02:07 AM
But the OP question is about feelings.

I know that, my post was about feelings too, I was telling you I think there are many feelings that have no opposite. Not everything has an opposite. Some things just exist without an opposite.

mildadhd
09-14-15, 08:30 AM
I know that, my post was about feelings too, I was telling you I think there are many feelings that have no opposite. Not everything has an opposite. Some things just exist without an opposite.

Thanks.

I do get that terminology can be confusing.

Could you post some examples, so I could understand better?

P