View Full Version : More than twice a day?

IMissCoffee
09-14-15, 05:01 PM
Hi there! I'm new to the forums and was recently diagnosed. My psych recently prescribed me Ritalin (pharmacy gave me Sandoz) and I have a couple of questions, that I wish I had asked him at the time. If it helps answer my questions, I'm currently taking 5mg doses since I just started the medication. I'm supposed to increase it to 10mg per dose in 3 days, and then to 15mg if needed after another 5 days or so.

Disclaimer: I fully intend to ask my psych these questions as soon as possible. Just don't know if they're a big enough deal to try and get through to him like today, or if it can wait until my next appointment.

1) He mentioned taking it twice a day under the belief that it would cover my 8 hour workday. This made sense to me during our appointment, but I've noticed this weekend and today, that that doesn't actually work for me in reality: I start my day at 4:30am (working out, getting kids off to school, getting ready for work, heading to work, etc) and I don't normally get home until 6pm. So I would say it's more of a 12 hour day instead of an 8 hour day.

If I choose to take a third dose, am I misusing my medication? I took my first dose at 4:30am this morning, and for the first time in years, I was able to do all the things I mentioned above and actually get out of the house on time, all without any anxiety, or stress, or forgetting anything. I would really like to be able to start my dosages at this time every morning.

2) He mentioned the medication lasts between 3-4 hours. Because of my workout and eating schedule, taking my medication closer to the 3 hour mark works better in order to ensure I can take it on an empty stomach. Again, am I misusing my medication if I do so? Maybe I should just work on moving my schedule around instead?

2.5) Follow-up to #2, if I end up closer to that 3 hour mark, I feel like I may need a 4th dosage to finish off the day, which puts me back in the boat of question #1. Is taking the extra dosage ok?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

Lunacie
09-14-15, 05:36 PM
If you take a 3rd dose you will run out of pills before you go back to the doctor.
Two a day may not be enough, but it's better than running out, no?

If you will be seeing the doctor soon, wait until you see him/her to discuss
the problem with dosing for 8 hours when you really need it last longer than
that. Taking it too late in the day may mess up your ability to sleep though.

If it will awhile before you see the doc again, call the office and mention that
your day is longer than 8 hours and ask about taking 3 doses a day.

You are on the minimum dose right now, so when the dose increases it may
last longer than it lasts now. But titrating medication is a good idea to give
your body time to adjust and minimize any unwanted side effects.

Pilgrim
09-14-15, 06:47 PM
Don't run out I think.

IMissCoffee
09-14-15, 07:56 PM
Thank you both! Luckily, I'm seeing him again in 2 weeks or so (instead of 4 since i'll be traveling), so I have plenty of medication to last me until then.

I'll see if I can give his office a call or maybe send an e-mail?

dvdnvwls
09-15-15, 01:06 AM
Thank you both! Luckily, I'm seeing him again in 2 weeks or so (instead of 4 since i'll be traveling), so I have plenty of medication to last me until then.

I'll see if I can give his office a call or maybe send an e-mail?

Even if you "have plenty", don't take more than the doctor prescribed.

sarahsweets
09-15-15, 04:24 AM
Without and ok from the doctor, you shouldnt take more than you are prescribed.

Abi
09-15-15, 05:28 AM
Talk to your doctor ASAP

IR 2ce a day metabolises too fast for most people.

I took it 3ce a day, 4 times is not uncommon.

But talk to your doc first, ADDF does not condone misuse of meds.

IMissCoffee
09-15-15, 12:54 PM
Thank you all for your responses! I do not intend to misuse my medication, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I only mentioned having plenty of medication because the first two people mentioned not running out. Probably a poor response since it seems it insinuated I would misuse them as a result. Lol.

Thanks again!

IMissCoffee
09-15-15, 01:03 PM
I just wanted to add that the main reason I asked is because as a new medicine user, I got the impression that some flexibility in dosages may exist. My doctor mentioned the slowly building up to avoid side effects, but gave me the ability to increase or decrease that dosage until I felt like I was at the correct amount. From the small slice of these forums I've seen, it seems a lot of people commonly adjust their dosages as well. So yeah, I thought it was possible this flexibility also extended to the quantity of dosages per day.

Thanks again! I definitely appreciate all of your feedback. Im glad I found this I run and had the opportunity to ask this question.

Lunacie
09-15-15, 01:50 PM
I just wanted to add that the main reason I asked is because as a new medicine user, I got the impression that some flexibility in dosages may exist. My doctor mentioned the slowly building up to avoid side effects, but gave me the ability to increase or decrease that dosage until I felt like I was at the correct amount. From the small slice of these forums I've seen, it seems a lot of people commonly adjust their dosages as well. So yeah, I thought it was possible this flexibility also extended to the quantity of dosages per day.

Thanks again! I definitely appreciate all of your feedback. Im glad I found this I run and had the opportunity to ask this question.

I didn't realize your doctor told you to tinker with the doses on your own
within certain limits. That's not very common at all. I think it can be a good
idea for some people.