View Full Version : Is ADHD medication addictive?

mildadhd
09-15-15, 08:28 AM
Is ADHD medication addictive?

P

Abi
09-15-15, 08:33 AM
Yes, however there is nothing wrong with that.

My anxiety medication is addictive, but I'd rather be addicted to it than suffer anxiety.

Little Missy
09-15-15, 08:33 AM
NO it is not.

Unmanagable
09-15-15, 08:41 AM
From my life experiences, I've learned that anything can become addictive, be it prescribed or recreational.

Little Missy
09-15-15, 08:59 AM
From my life experiences, I've learned that anything can become addictive, be it prescribed or recreational.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that, she's right. :)

Lunacie
09-15-15, 01:56 PM
The risk of addiction when under a doctor's supervision is minimal.

When one goes off the rails and abuses the meds, addiction is possible.

SB_UK
09-15-15, 02:20 PM
I looked forward to taking the pill.
The body tells you when it's time for the next dose.
When we come off it - we're tired and eat more for a period.
The haziness/lack of focus returns.
You want the clarity and the energy back.

I guess for it to be addictive we need to know whether we're in a worse state after we quit the medication than we were going into it.

And that this relates to negative feedback - homeostasis - altering a set-point related to increased exposure leading to resistance.

That should be quite easy to experimentally determine.

Has to be dosage dependent - would be nice to think that resistance would occur only at levels far in excess of therapeutic range ?

It's slihtly more confusing though because we can also transcend the reward system which dexedrine operates within - dependent on what we use dexedrine to pay attention to - meaning that in a stressful world - the learning path/life path one takes determines whether it leads to loss of effectiveness or lifelong requirement.

SB_UK
09-15-15, 02:23 PM
You could suggest a car is addictive.
Increasing use of car - increasing laziness - increasing unfitness.
Lack of ability to cycle/walk.
Increased reliance on car.

When we 'quit' car we're in a worse state than when we first started using one.

Unmanagable
09-15-15, 08:12 PM
I hope this isn't too far off base for the intent of this thread. If so, I sincerely apologize.

But whenever folks bring up addiction as of late, I'm jolted back to a harsh reality regarding food and how highly addictive it is, and how so many of us are current hardcore addicts, by design, whether we realize it or not.

Food is something we need to sustain life. But there's hardly any life left in the food, especially anything processed. Working around that particular addiction, which is mostly ignored, has been the most challenging, thus far, compared to street drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, and cigs.

Pilgrim
09-15-15, 09:56 PM
Yes, however there is nothing wrong with that.

My anxiety medication is addictive, but I'd rather be addicted to it than suffer anxiety.

This premis is exactly correct. If you need it you need it.

SB_UK
09-15-15, 10:58 PM
I hope this isn't too far off base for the intent of this thread. If so, I sincerely apologize.

But whenever folks bring up addiction as of late, I'm jolted back to a harsh reality regarding food and how highly addictive it is, and how so many of us are current hardcore addicts, by design, whether we realize it or not.

Food is something we need to sustain life. But there's hardly any life left in the food, especially anything processed. Working around that particular addiction, which is mostly ignored, has been the most challenging, thus far, compared to street drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, and cigs.

EXACTLY.

Dexedrine timings are spaced to exactly the periodicity of hunger post-carb-based meal (3 3/4 hrs) consumption; the spacing between breakfast toast, lunch sandwiches and night-time potatoes.

EPIC FAIL.

Agriculture has permitted us to grow addiction.

Fat vs Carb

There's only one winner here - and once one shifts to fat - one experiences -
(a) weight loss
(b) increased energy
(c) reduced need to sleep
(d) mood stability

... ... and more ... ...

Note - glutamate and glucose gum (glu!) up the system - pain (glutamate - IGF-1 glucose - Insulin) - the classic badboys of anabolism/growth - as we complete growth associate with really intense hand and foot pain - and it extends into the back ... ... elsewhere - mouth too.
Just pain.

glutamate - prototypic excitotoxin eg watch a human/animal on MSG and they knock themselves out eating far beyond any physiological appetite regulatory mechanism
glucose - prototypic excitant eg 'energy drinks'

mildadhd
09-15-15, 10:59 PM
Wonderful discussions.

Thanks

Why do people get addicted to pots?

Why do people get addicted to opioids?

Why do people get addicted to foods?

Why do people get addicted to cars?

Why do people get addicted to ADHD medications?

Why do people get addicted to cell phones?

Why do people get addicted?

P

SB_UK
09-15-15, 11:14 PM
Glutamate's natural opponent (balance/control factor)
Male archetype -> <- Female archetype
Glutamate -> GABA

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15578966
GABA puts a stop to pain.

Glutamate -> GAD -> GABA in (1) brain (2) Pancreas

Pancreas
GAD antibodies found in - Type I Diabetes
Dietary basis to Type I Diabetes

Of course - dietary basis to Type II Diabetes

Epilepsy - dietary basis (fat/ketone usage) - to reduced excitotoxicity

Bipolar disorder - dietary basis to mood stability (see above)

Hard to think straight as one shifts from frenetic to stagnant mood.

SB_UK
09-15-15, 11:19 PM

That's a question and a half.

mildadhd
09-15-15, 11:23 PM
"Why the pain?" (Paraphrasing Gabor Mate M.D.)

P

SB_UK
09-15-15, 11:24 PM
Wonderful discussions.

Thanks

P

Because there's a need for something.
A dependence.

A dependence which need be satisfied.

But which can be satisfied - and in the process - the
need
dependence

transcended.

.. .... dependent on what we use dexedrine to pay attention to - meaning that in a stressful world - the learning path/life path one takes determines whether it leads to loss of effectiveness or lifelong requirement.

The subtle irony of
(my first question here > 10 years ago)
- is that the resistance syndrome to neurotransmitter / hormone / drug leads to tolerance -
- but that transcending need parallels tolerance in that the drugs (in this completely opposed state) results in the (experiential perspective of) loss of effectiveness ... also ... ...

'cept it's totally different.

Need towards ever increasing dosage vs Need for ever decreasing dosage

SB_UK
09-15-15, 11:27 PM
"Why the pain?" (Paraphrasing Gabor Mate M.D.)

P

I think that there's an optimal firing rate of neurone.
That the mechanism for deleting neurone is increasing usage.
That prior to deleting neurone - there's a transition involving increasing pain.

So - in one sentence -
Excitotoxicity - increasign the neural firing rate beyond that which the system is homeostatically regulated towards maintaining.

SB_UK
09-15-15, 11:28 PM

Accursed potheads. (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/qRJzRfASUX0/maxresdefault.jpg)

'flob a lob a lob'

SB_UK
09-15-15, 11:29 PM

mildadhd
09-17-15, 08:50 PM

Indica medication leans toward parasympathetic (sedative).

Indica-Sativa medication leans toward parasympathetic-sympathetic. (sedative-stimulant)

Sativa-Indica medication leans toward sympathetic-parasympathetic. (stimulant-sedative)

Sativa medication leans toward sympathetic (stimulant).

...? ?

"THC-CBD ratios"? (paraphrasing Eeyore)

CBD-THC ratio's ?

Other chemistries, other ratios? (not sure, looking for basic possible neurophysiological directions to explore, a starting point with seeking and playful experiences in mind, but not limited to?)

Example anadamide to ??? (Could be phrasing wrong, unsure of the general ideas)?

Thoughts....additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions...Feelings appreciated, ("MindBrain" (-paraphrasing Prof Panksepp.))?

P

Pilgrim
09-17-15, 09:17 PM
Maybe the question should be how much is life impaired without it?

If life is terrible without it are you really addicted to something? Reliant yes.

Cost / benefit analysis. What would happen if you were on a desert island unable to get medication.

Could you survive ; or is this whole situation a product of this life and others opinions.

mildadhd
09-17-15, 09:31 PM
Maybe the question should be how much is life impaired without it?

If life is terrible without it are you really addicted to something? Reliant yes.

Cost / benefit analysis. What would happen if you were on a desert island unable to get medication.

Could you survive ; or is this whole situation a product of this life and others opinions.

When I am unable to get medication, finding some other way to self medicate, seems to be my trend.

P

Pilgrim
09-19-15, 10:24 PM
When I am unable to get medication, finding some other way to self medicate, seems to be my trend.

P

Good point. I do the same thing. I think it's just hard to turn me off.

I do have a lot of me time and I try to get out to nature. Guess it's all down to

Balance.

SB_UK
09-20-15, 02:52 AM

Indica-Sativa medication leans toward parasympathetic-sympathetic. (sedative-stimulant)

Sativa-Indica medication leans toward sympathetic-parasympathetic. (stimulant-sedative)

...? ?

CBD-THC ratio's ?

Other chemistries, other ratios? (not sure, looking for basic possible neurophysiological directions to explore, a starting point with seeking and playful experiences in mind, but not limited to?)

Example anadamide to ??? (Could be phrasing wrong, unsure of the general ideas)?

Thoughts....additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions...Feelings appreciated, ("MindBrain" (-paraphrasing Prof Panksepp.))?

P

sativa - male morphology (convex)
indica - female morphology (concave)

So - indica should associate with PNS and sativa - the other ... ...

checking ... ...

SB_UK
09-20-15, 03:08 AM
cannabis -> memory

What do people want to remember ?

Mind, immersed in history - where there is no uplifting precedent in mind.

It's enough to get PTSD - all variations on psychopaths from dictators, emperors, kings to CEOs shaping history - little worth remembering relating to people.
? mechanism of PTSD on memory destruction shared by learning history (ie all of the terrible things humans have done and still continue - on a daily basis - to do) ?

Memory - limited compared to computer - wearable tech connects us to all information all of the time.

What do we want to remember ?

Can one be in the present with a memory ?

Back on topic

Irony once again - flooding our brains with endogenous cannabinoids would provide a similar perspective to Alzheimer's disease - similar (this entire story)- to eg meds losing their effectiveness through transcending their need vs dependence.

SB_UK
09-20-15, 03:23 AM
If we assume that evolution seeds the same motif -
of

male / | \ female archetype balanced -> synchronization signal

space 1 / | \ space 2 -> time signal

2 space dimensions - the 2 waves of a standing wave with the time pulse which the standing wave transmits

Then

space 1 / | \ space 2 -> time signal

s1 / | \ s2 -> t

time{{{s1/|\s2}}}

abstraction layer complete -> time{{{s1/|\s2}}}

Emergence (evolution)

time{{{s1/|\s2}}} -> s1new

Memory
temporal recollection eg history (dates)
spatial eg map directions

I can't do either.

TIME
But - why absorb dates (arbitrary) instead of understanding why things happened ?
Einstein 'anybody can know, the object is to understand'

There's an infinity of data points to know; but only 1 knowledge structure which represents understanding.

SPACE
4 dimensional Euclidian space is an unacceptable simiplification, and one which my mind canot entertain ie can't remember space to a 3 spatial dimensional template.

- to suggest that nonADDer mental encapsulations of space and time are heuristics put in place to make sense of reality - but instead what happens is that theories are stacked on false axioms.

SB_UK
09-20-15, 03:45 AM

...? ?

CBD-THC ratio's ?

P

wikP/endocannabinoid
CBD does not affect CB1 or CB2
CBD -> 5HT1A agonist !!

... .... gut bacteria manufacture about 95 percent of the body's supply of serotonin, which influences both mood and GI activity.
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/09/gut-feeling.aspx

SB_UK
09-20-15, 03:52 AM
Interestingly, in animal models, butyrate has also been shown to both affect intestinal serotonin levels[45] and increase serotonin transporters (SERTs) in the hypothalamus.[46]Butyrate fermentation (anaerobic bacteria) (yesterday's thread)
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/837381_4

- wellbeing -

Transmitted signal to brain.

-*-

Butyrate - ketosis, soluble fibre fermentation and butter.

SB_UK
09-20-15, 03:54 AM
(but I'd prefer to eliminate the need for food)

Needing to eat to survive isn't elegant.

Isn't quality.

Choosing to eat would be in lne with quality ie to extend one's palate.

SB_UK
09-20-15, 03:58 AM
And finally

THC (remove memory) -> <- CBD (consolidate memory)
ie
endogenous CB1/CB2 agonists -> <- 5HT1a agonist -> learning.

To remove maladaptive memories/learning ie 'rubbish' and to replace that with better learning - greater explanatory capacity

- tending towards global consistency.

There's an interestign central <-> peripheral interplay.

General pattern of shifting short term memory into long term memory.
The CBD female archetype overcoming the THC male archetype.

Long term memory - is by virtue less arbitrary.
Anything (eg standard schoolin') be forced (even complete rubbish) into short term memory.

http://youtubeonrepeat.com/watch/?v=oZ_M-ZF0fPk

SB_UK
09-20-15, 04:10 AM
Summarising
Basic change in man away from fielding knowledge within the mind to housing understanding; acquisition of understanding will inevitably tend towards the individual acquiring a rational/moral world view (and leaving behing the childish, materialistic, selfish, ego-centric world view which chararctizes people generally currently).
&
More complicated - the individual's relationship with tme and space relates to the individual's point in evolution.
Time and Space re-discover themselves with each evolutionary emergent event.
We - as the products of the evolutionary project - get to infer our own state by examining our mind's relationship to time and space and working out whether the time and space definition which we are drawn towards is better (more explanatory) than the time/space definitions incorporated into society.
This idea's difficult - because the first evolutionary product was Planck time an Planck space - but then what followed was a sequence of evolutionary events characterized by species formation (eg fermion) held together by social impulse (synchrony, Planck time evolved form, boson) ... ...
and so with mind as continued form of this evolutionary expansion
- so worldview offered by mind echoes state of evolution.

* that's actually quite challenging to explain - needs to be made much simpler

How about ?
Evolution operating at the level of structure of mind.
2 different structures represent 2 differing complexities of mind.
The relationship between less and more complex is identical to the relationship between all pre- and post-emergent structures ie Integral of pre-emergent leads to post-emergent form.
This structure is what we access when we think.
A lower (less evolved) structure will echo a lesser model of understanding of reality.
A higher model will echo globally consistent understanding; but that's then the 'end' of mind, ina sense.
Now the tricky bit - is that time and space arise as the first emergent properties, but also rediscover themselves at each stage of emergence, but also in this specific case of mind - they've rediscovered themselves providing us with our experiential perspective - and even though they're an evolved form of time/space - giving us (a little confusingly) a more complex natural perspective over time/space referring back to:
Memory
temporal recollection eg history (dates)
spatial eg map directions

I can't do either.

TIME
But - why absorb dates (arbitrary) instead of understanding why things happened ?
Einstein 'anybody can know, the object is to understand'

There's an infinity of data points to know; but only 1 knowledge structure which represents understanding.

SPACE
4 dimensional Euclidian space is an unacceptable simiplification, and one which my mind canot entertain ie can't remember space to a 3 spatial dimensional template.

- to suggest that nonADDer mental encapsulations of space and time are heuristics put in place to make sense of reality - but instead what happens is that theories are stacked on false axioms.

SB_UK
09-20-15, 04:42 AM
More simply
It (structure of mind representing an evolutionary product to the time/space progression) is 'us' (template for our and hence representing (conditional on learnig)* our experiential perspective).
* Why conditional onlearning ?
Simply - a bad food processor processes food badly.
A good food processor won't process food well unless we have food to process.

Even more simply
You see when your eyes are open.
You don't when they're closed.

Kunga Dorji
09-20-15, 05:21 AM
Wonderful discussions.

Thanks

P

This is a very well referenced and argued explanation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html?ir=Australia

But in the 1970s, a professor of Psychology in Vancouver called Bruce Alexander noticed something odd about this experiment. The rat is put in the cage all alone. It has nothing to do but take the drugs. What would happen, he wondered, if we tried this differently? So Professor Alexander built Rat Park. It is a lush cage where the rats would have colored balls and the best rat-food and tunnels to scamper down and plenty of friends: everything a rat about town could want. What, Alexander wanted to know, will happen then?

In Rat Park, all the rats obviously tried both water bottles, because they didn't know what was in them. But what happened next was startling.
The rats with good lives didn't like the drugged water. They mostly shunned it, consuming less than a quarter of the drugs the isolated rats used. None of them died. While all the rats who were alone and unhappy became heavy users, none of the rats who had a happy environment did.

Professor Peter Cohen argues that human beings have a deep need to bond and form connections. It's how we get our satisfaction. If we can't connect with each other, we will connect with anything we can find -- the whirr of a roulette wheel or the prick of a syringe. He says we should stop talking about 'addiction' altogether, and instead call it 'bonding.' A heroin addict has bonded with heroin because she couldn't bond as fully with anything else. So the opposite of addiction is not sobriety. It is human connection.

So it would seem that the cause of addiction is loneliness.

So what does that have to do with ADHD?

Our ADHD is very socially impairing. Most of the worst symptoms stem from our impulsive irritability, our tuning out in conversation, or inability to remember to keep in touch with our friends and give them enough attention.

These symptoms all lead to isolation.

Kunga Dorji
09-20-15, 05:32 AM
Re Addiction- there are several aspects to the problem:
Psychological dependance.
Physiological Dependence.
The latter is well covered in the WIkipedia entry on Dextroamphetamine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextroamphetamine#Addiction

The physiology and chemistry of physical dependence are pretty well understood and are related to the expression of the Delta Fos B gene in the nucleus accumbens:

The effects of amphetamine on gene regulation are both dose- and route-dependent.[/URL]Most of the research on gene regulation and addiction is based upon animal studies with intravenous amphetamine administration at very high doses.[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextroamphetamine#cite_note-Addiction_genetics-107"] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextroamphetamine#cite_note-Addiction_genetics-107)The few studies that have used equivalent (weight-adjusted) human therapeutic doses and oral administration show that these changes, if they occur, are relatively minor.[ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextroamphetamine#cite_note-Addiction_genetics-107)This suggests that medical use of amphetamine does not significantly affect gene regulation.

So it would seem that physical addiition is not an issue at therapeutic doses of medical stimulants.

Kunga Dorji
09-20-15, 05:54 AM
I think that there's an optimal firing rate of neurone.
That the mechanism for deleting neurone is increasing usage.
That prior to deleting neurone - there's a transition involving increasing pain.

So - in one sentence -
Excitotoxicity - increasign the neural firing rate beyond that which the system is homeostatically regulated towards maintaining.

Actually SB-- the mechanism is decreased usage.

daveddd
09-20-15, 07:48 AM
https://books.google.com/books?id=we9VqAYovdoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Addiction+attachment&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAGoVChMIzs6oyMSFyAIVhp-ACh1P_AJp#v=onepage&q=Addiction%20attachment&f=false

This book on addiction as an attachment disorder reminds me of whst you were saying about lonlinesd and addiction

Makes sense to me

The first words are " addiction is a disorder of self regulation"

Abi
09-20-15, 08:48 AM
Thread temporarily closed pending review due to Cannabis discussion.

Abi
09-26-15, 10:41 AM
Moderator Note

I will allow the discussion of the biochemical properties of cannabis as an addictive substance.

I will NOT allow

1) Advocacy of Cannabis for any purpose, including but not limited to as an ADHD Treatment;
2) Debates on making it legal.

For the above there is a thread in the private Debates section for this discussion.

Please be advised that we default to US FEDERAL LAW on this topic and cannabis is still illegal in that context.

Adenosine
09-26-15, 01:03 PM
Therapeutic doses of amphetamine and methylphenidate can cause mild withdrawals in some people, and I suppose you could define the desire to keep taking them for focus-related reasons as a sort of psychological dependence, but true addiction combines a severe, almost uncontrollable compulsion to use with a host of negative consequences that outweigh the drug's benefits. It is a self-defeating process, one driven by blind pain or desire instead of rational utility. As long as you use your medicine in way that achieves a reasonable cost-benefit ratio, you probably aren't anywhere near it.

SB_UK
09-26-15, 01:38 PM
To be addictive, I think we need some measure of whether we're worse off after a period spent on the agent.
Lot like the Bourne Legacy.

Agent given special drugs - accelerated brain function - has drugs withdrawn - fights to re-establish supply through fear of regression ... ...or better still - learns that banking gains without need for further medication supply is possible ... ... ...

All of that pretty much perfectly describes the ADDer's relationship with dexedrine as long as we apply our mind (ie pay attention) in a very specific way with our newfound ability to pay attention.

To understand our own context.

The whole pathway which we're tickling with meds is simply the mind's way of ensuring that it builds itself to completion.

When it completes - the meds no longer work.

We've banked the gains.

Lovely biochemist/geneticist in the Bourne Legacy too - rush out and see it !!
Not sure why - quite liked that series of movies.

SB_UK
09-26-15, 01:51 PM
Basic point (as ever) being

We need to know what ADHD is ? ie sensitivity
We need to know what the disorder represents ? ie distress
We need to know what the drugs do ? Stress relief returning us to a normal state capable of paying attention
We're supposed to know what to pay attention to ? Completion of mind

And then we'll find ourselves naturally losing the desire to partake of any addictive substance.

So - what does it feel ike ?

In all honesty - unbelievably happy in the silence in the sun.

Of course - as soon as any interaction with human beings (in current society) occurs - the pain returns.

What's the higher mode of interaction with people ?
An individual sees what you want (intuitively) and gives it to you without expectation of reward.
The reward is in the satisfaction that s/he feels in giving.

All that's required is that we teach somebody something that we KNOW (through intuition, experience and 'mind-reading') that they want to learn.

It's very easy when you've gotten it down - though most often - I won't have the specialist knowledge to help ... ... nailing down though what people want is ever so easy.

People just want to be free.

Little Missy
09-26-15, 04:45 PM
Well, fly on over SB.
It is 97 with 8% humidity @ 3800 feet and nary a cloud in the sky.

Nothing addictive here.

Unmanagable
09-26-15, 04:54 PM
Oooooo.....stop and grab me along the way, please. It's monsoon season here this weekend. Stock up on those lemon things, LM. :)

Little Missy
09-26-15, 05:12 PM
Oooooo.....stop and grab me along the way, please. It's monsoon season here this weekend. Stock up on those lemon things, LM. :)

Those Lemon Figgies are redic good. Sinful. But totally real, no weirdly named anything in them. Sooooooo good.

Kunga Dorji
10-01-15, 09:38 PM
https://books.google.com/books?id=we9VqAYovdoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Addiction+attachment&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAGoVChMIzs6oyMSFyAIVhp-ACh1P_AJp#v=onepage&q=Addiction%20attachment&f=false

This book on addiction as an attachment disorder reminds me of whst you were saying about lonlinesd and addiction

Makes sense to me

The first words are " addiction is a disorder of self regulation"
As is ADHD

Abi
10-01-15, 09:41 PM
As is Bipolar Disorder

Sorry, didn't want to feel left out.

Impromptu_DTour
10-11-15, 02:25 AM
As is being a Male. (according to the DSM, apparently)

Impromptu_DTour
10-11-15, 02:35 AM
i decided i didnt like my post. so.. :goodpost:

meadd823
10-11-15, 06:58 PM
Is ADHD medication addictive?

P

No but functioning is very addictive, so if you need medications to function then it may just be easier emotionally to blame the addiction on the medications than on ones need to survive in a world of un-natural but none the less very real expectations .