View Full Version : What factors into the time it takes for Ritalin to begin its effect?

BlackKeys96
09-15-15, 02:13 PM
Hey, I just registered here because I have a question. What are the reasons that Ritalin may take longer to start working than usual? My usual dose is 15 mg, and it generally takes 45 minutes for it to work (give or take a few minutes.) However, today it took over 2 hours for it to work. I'm a college student and I took it because I planned on studying at that time, but it never worked, which puzzled me. Then about 2 hours later, I was eating lunch and I suddenly realized that the effects had just begun. Why might this be?

Info that you may need (not sure), I'm 19 years old, 5 ft 7 in (1.7 m), and 150 lbs (68 kg), I don't take Ritalin on a scheduled basis, but rather my neurologist said to take it as needed (as long as the doses are 4 hours apart, and doesn't exceed 60 mg in a day). I've been taking Ritalin for almost 9 months, but it's never taken this long to work. I had eaten a relatively small breakfast 3 hours before, so I don't think that having a lot of food in me was the reason.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

sarahsweets
09-16-15, 04:36 AM
That is a little usual. With all of the instant release drugs I have taken, they work in about an hour. I suppose metabolism plays into that and maybe food. I dont think dose has anything to do with it because more of a drug wont make it work faster.

Jenn1202
09-18-15, 03:36 AM
Ritalin usually takes me around 30 minutes to kick in (or at least to start kicking in). I think things like room temperature can affect it too.. Keeping your tabs/caps in a hot room will make them less effective. Other possible factors include tolerance and how close it is to the expiration date.

Btw, was it a long active tab/cap that took forever to kick in? If it only happened once, maybe the cap/tab was defective.