View Full Version : Birth complications could be factor in SCT?

Donny997
09-15-15, 04:27 PM
Hey guys,

I've been noticing a trend of sct-like people having had birth complications, and was wondering if my fellow SCT friends can share some info regarding their own possible normal/ complicated birth process, to see if there might be a link.

I consider myself very ADDI-I / SCT, and was born a couple weeks early via elected c-secion because I would not turn into place and also, if I had, I could have been strangled by the floating cord. Now, I doubt this qualifies as a birth complication, but if you think about it, in pre-historic times if the baby has not flipped into the head-first position near the expected delivery time, it could lead to disastrous or even fatal consequences to one or both parties. It's obvious that being born feet first CAN (not always) cut off oxygen to the baby's brain.

So I wonder, might there be a reason for a baby not turning into place at 38 or so weeks? Is it just a random event? Or could this be evidence of something having gone wrong with the pregnancy? I know my Mother had told me she had periods of high stress when she was pregnant with me, and I'm the only one out of my brother and sister with SCT symptoms.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this? There's lots of info connecting birth complications with ADHD, but not much RE SCT. I'm just wondering why I'm the only one in the family who is such a space cadet, and my unique birth situation comes to mind as a possible cause....

Donny997
09-15-15, 06:07 PM
It's also possible that SCT is nothing more than ADD-I + lifelong emotional problems, i.e. anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. It'd be interesting to find out how "normal" were the formative years (0-3 yrs) in SCT adults.

In terms of personality connection, there were some researchers I read recently that showed evidence for SCT people to have remarkably caring/ kind personalities. Here's the link: http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(05)82654-X/pdf.

So perhaps SCT is simply ADD-I plus a phlegmatic/ calm/ dependent type of temperment. I know for me, my mother was destructively infantalizing and a therapist recently diagnosed me with having dependent (symbiotic in his words) personality style in how I deal with the world. And you can make the connection intuitively that a dependent personality is not going to be as aggressive, active, quick, sharp, and of the "mover and shaker" variety of person.

Dependent persons by definition are usually passive and slow. And of course there'd be difficulties with arousal because if everything is done for them, there's no environmental need to FORCE the brain to be AWAKE and ALERT to manipulate the environment. And often, there is subconscious communication from the parents telling the child to NOT be too active, too smart, too aggressive, because that would mean establishing a separate identity and breaking away form the family system. Dependent personalities - I think second only to avoidant personalities - also have the highest reported rates of social anxiety (I'll cite the book if anyone wants a source).

Reading the big SCT thread with people posting suggestions of increasing their study/ learning habits to increase their functioning in life/ relationships/ conversations would also fit in with this idea. Phlegmatic/ dependent types are not exactly scholarly and their lack of knowledge, experience, and competence in life hinders them professionally, academically, and socially.