View Full Version : Switching from Ritalin to Adderall

Boggdad
09-16-15, 02:50 PM
I finally decided to do something about my inattentive ADD which I did not realize I had until recently. After extensive research and reaching out to a Psychiatrist I was able to confirm this was the problem I was dealing with my entire life. Long story short I was prescribed 20mg methylphenidate twice a day. I've had experience with drugs before but never had a problem with addiction or anything along those lines. There was only one drug that I was ever attracted to and that was Adderall. It made my anxiety go away, let me focus and stay motivated, kept me interested in what was important, and allowed me to be sociable. It made me feel "normal". Now that I was diagnosed it makes sense to me why I was drawn to it. But to my point, the methylphenidate doesn't quite feel the same. Compared to adderall I feel way more of the norepinephrine's presence than dopamine. I get excited way too easily with the flight or fight feeling which causes me to become anxious. I've never had that problem with adderall, it significantly decreases my anxiety. Has anyone else experienced this? And how can I convince my doctor to switch to adderall? I feel like if I tell him its causing me to become nervous and anxious he might take me off stimulants all together.

Donny997
09-17-15, 10:19 AM
I've had similar reactions to concerta. Adderall also is good for me, for now I guess. I suggested it to my psych after he tried me on wellbutrin which was terrible for me. He was about to prescribe straterra and then i suggested adderall. You might have to at least try one of his/her suggestions before suggesting your own. And I dont think stimulant = anxiety therefore no add diagnosis, but I could be wrong and he might be alerted to that.

Boggdad
09-17-15, 11:33 AM
I've read that Ritalin is more likely to cause anxiety in adults. Also, that it is more related to cocaine. Cocaine addicts are sometimes given methylphenidate at rehab centers? So far with my experience from Ritalin I'd say its likely. It's short acting for me and gives me energy to do physical work, not so much with the mind. Adderall gives me energy to do physical work but its much more beneficial to my mind. It stops the racing thoughts and lets me focus completely on the task at hand. So far I think the only advantage for me in Ritalin is that the comedown is not bad at all and I can still sleep like a baby at night, and I feel alright the next day. Adderall will keep me up if I take it after 3 in the afternoon, and the next day isn't as pleasant. Also, my vision seems to get worse with ritalin. It gives me accommodation problems. I've always had good vision and I don't want to risk damaging my eyes. The co-pay for my script (60 20mg pills) is a lot. I wonder if asking my doc to switch me to something stronger so I only need half the dosage to save me money will get him to suggest adderall?

sarahsweets
09-17-15, 11:54 AM
I I've had experience with drugs before but never had a problem with addiction or anything along those lines.
recreational or prescribed?
There was only one drug that I was ever attracted to and that was Adderall. It made my anxiety go away, let me focus and stay motivated, kept me interested in what was important, and allowed me to be sociable. It made me feel "normal".
Im confused...who prescribed you the adderall?
the methylphenidate doesn't quite feel the same. Compared to adderall I feel way more of the norepinephrine's presence than dopamine.
Judging a medication's effect by how it feels is danger red flag territory. And I doubt you are able to feel the difference between norepinephrine and dopamine.
I get excited way too easily with the flight or fight feeling which causes me to become anxious.
I too had horrible anxiety and mood swings on ritalin. I am also bipolar so maybe that played into it.
I've never had that problem with adderall, it significantly decreases my anxiety. Has anyone else experienced this? And how can I convince my doctor to switch to adderall?
Again, who prescribed the adderall? And very rarely can you convince a doctor to prescribe what you think you need without some thorough oversight-at least a good doctor wont.

Jenn1202
10-13-15, 12:52 AM
Adderall made me very calm, much more than Ritalin.

TangledWebs
10-13-15, 01:06 AM
I've never tried Ritalin. You could tell your psychiatrist you joined an ADD forum and read positive reviews about Adderall and would like to give that stimulant a try.

TangledWebs
10-13-15, 01:12 AM
I wonder if asking my doc to switch me to something stronger so I only need half the dosage to save me money will get him to suggest adderall?

No, you have to be careful with how you ask for Adderall. I would say you read good reviews about Adderall and you would like to try a newer drug. I mean, Ritalin is kind of old school.

TangledWebs
10-13-15, 01:24 AM
Judging a medication's effect by how it feels is danger red flag territory.

Just curious what you mean by this.