View Full Version : Lowest effective dose?

jman05
09-16-15, 08:36 PM
I know 100mg is what you are supposed to work yourself up to, but do most people really need 100mg for maximum effectiveness? I ask because I used to take 100mg, but started to take less and I haven't noticed any differences in its effectiveness.

namazu
09-17-15, 01:31 AM
100mg isn't necessarily a "goal" to work towards; it's the maximum recommended daily dose, based on what's been studied.

According to the manufacturer, 80mg is actually the "target" dose for adults. Some people may not need or be able to tolerate that much.

The general wisdom with medications that don't have a clear weight-based or serum-level-based dosing formula is to start with a low dose and increase gradually until you get the therapeutic effects you need without side effects you don't.

If a lower dose of Strattera still provides symptom control for you over time, then it probably makes sense to stick with a lower dose. (If you've only recently decreased the dose, bear in mind that this is one of the medications that has a longer time-frame for building up in your body and leaving it, so be sure to watch for changes over the next few weeks or couple of months.)

That all said, be sure to keep your doctor in the loop if you feel you would prefer / benefit from a lower dose.

jman05
09-18-15, 04:00 PM
100mg isn't necessarily a "goal" to work towards; it's the maximum recommended daily dose, based on what's been studied.

According to the manufacturer, 80mg is actually the "target" dose for adults. Some people may not need or be able to tolerate that much.

The general wisdom with medications that don't have a clear weight-based or serum-level-based dosing formula is to start with a low dose and increase gradually until you get the therapeutic effects you need without side effects you don't.

If a lower dose of Strattera still provides symptom control for you over time, then it probably makes sense to stick with a lower dose. (If you've only recently decreased the dose, bear in mind that this is one of the medications that has a longer time-frame for building up in your body and leaving it, so be sure to watch for changes over the next few weeks or couple of months.)

That all said, be sure to keep your doctor in the loop if you feel you would prefer / benefit from a lower dose.

I do take a lower does by breaking up the pills and keeping whats left. So for a week I break up 6 pills to make a 7th dose for the week. Now I'm splitting two of those extras on half in the weekends.

I have no plans on telling my doctor to lower my does because 100mg cost the same as 40mg, so I'm just stocking up on strattera given that its $400 a month uninsured. I have insurance but you never know if it will quit being covered or I lose my job or whatever. Plus the pharmaseutical companies already rip of the public enough.

AnxiousLapras
01-07-16, 03:48 AM
I've actually read that 40mg is the average dose, don't know where you're getting 100mg from

jman05
03-04-16, 06:46 PM
I've actually read that 40mg is the average dose, don't know where you're getting 100mg from

"Heard" where? Just to a Google search.

http://www.rxlist.com/strattera-drug/indications-dosage.htm