View Full Version : anxiety vs ADHD vs bipolar

karbouris
09-22-15, 11:40 PM
So, as many of you know I have been diagnosed with suspected bipolar ADHD and OCD. I'm perscribed 300mgs Tegratol 20mgs of dexidrene and 10mgs of celexa. Anyways, I don't really take the Tegratol. It makes me lady times kinda weird, and my dexidrene got washed in the washing machine (don't ask). So, I've just been taking celexa and ironically I feel so much better. I'm really tired and I don't want to eat, but I've got more done on just celexa than I have any other time lol. I'm calm, rational, I have a sense of humor, and most of all I can feel emotions again. It is so much easier to get out of bed. Is it possible that I could have depression and anxiety vs ADHD OCD and bipolar?

BellaVita
09-23-15, 12:04 AM
If you have bipolar - be careful with just being on an SSRI without a mood stabilizer because this can trigger a manic episode.

I guess anything is possible, but I would trust the doctor's judgment.

Can you give him a call and tell him your med situation?

And make sure to tell your doctor next appointment the side effects you are experiencing with your medication.

I don't know, those diagnoses are all very different, but I'm sure with time you'll figure things out.

dvdnvwls
09-23-15, 12:09 AM
Yes, it's possible. It's also possible that you do have those others too, but that right now the anxiety and depression are affecting you much worse, and so you're noticing the others much less. Don't let meds (or lack of them) be your doctor - you can't diagnose anything this way - but definitely do tell your doctor about this weird observation next time you're there.

(Don't forget that bipolar can be still there even when it's not bothering you at the moment.

Kunga Dorji
09-23-15, 01:36 AM
So, as many of you know I have been diagnosed with suspected bipolar ADHD and OCD. I'm perscribed 300mgs Tegratol 20mgs of dexidrene and 10mgs of celexa. Anyways, I don't really take the Tegratol. It makes me lady times kinda weird, and my dexidrene got washed in the washing machine (don't ask). So, I've just been taking celexa and ironically I feel so much better. I'm really tired and I don't want to eat, but I've got more done on just celexa than I have any other time lol. I'm calm, rational, I have a sense of humor, and most of all I can feel emotions again. It is so much easier to get out of bed. Is it possible that I could have depression and anxiety vs ADHD OCD and bipolar?

There can be substantial overlap- and most ADHD people will have more anxiety than non ADHD people- and more depression too- life outcomes can be depressing with ADHD.
There are common causative pathways in all these conditions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellar_cognitive_affective_syndrome
Anxiety is a core symptom-and there is very significant implication of this syndrome in ADHD, bipolar and depression - to name a few significant links.

If ADHD is part of the problem then it will usually be obvious that it was present before the anxiety and depression, and the attention problems will be present even when not anxious.

Then it becomes a question of how helpful the stimulants are and do they have unacceptable side effects?

sarahsweets
09-23-15, 04:34 AM
Like dvd said, you could be dealing with the bipolar aspect of things right now vs the adhd part of things. The tricky part about bipolar is often when we feel good, our mind plays tricks on us and we can sometimes think we dont have bipolar which can then lead us not to be compliant with our meds. Not saying this is you, just something to think about. A mood stablizer is a must with bipolar. I would make an appt with the doctor asap and talk about this.

karbouris
09-23-15, 07:38 PM
I'll def keep the bipolar in mind. Thanks guys. I have 10 days until I can get my dexidrene. I'm going to try to ride out.

karbouris
09-23-15, 07:40 PM
The ONLY concern I have is a mild edginess to it. Maybe a motivation type edge? Not sure.

dvdnvwls
09-23-15, 08:18 PM
The ONLY concern I have is a mild edginess to it. Maybe a motivation type edge? Not sure.

"Motivation type edge" can be just what you said. But most of the time when someone (especially someone on this forum who is already diagnosed bipolar) actually notices and mentions that they have a "motivation type edge" lately, it means "possibly/probably a bipolar symptom".

karbouris
09-23-15, 11:54 PM
Touché. I'm starting to see the bipolar just a smidge. I'm agitated and irritable. But the only symptoms I have are agitation. I don't have just straight up mania. I'd take the tegratol tbh, but I started nursing and you're not supposed to nurse on tegratol. My 3 month old refuses to wean, that and it always induces a period.

Marinedevildog
10-28-15, 01:38 AM
Have all three take seroquel and lithium Xanax klonopin and had bad opiate problem got shot 3 times and was hooked on morphine dilaudid then became immune that I went to suboxone clinic weened off subs but there is one drug that thousands agree it's not a bad pill clonodine .3 mg 4 times a day with my other anxiety pills completely wiped my severe withdrawal from opiates clean helps me clear headed and concentrate also great sleep aid for my night terrors combined with klonopin 2 mg

but I just wanted people to become aware and do some research on clonodine it helps with evrythimg pretty much and I try to tell all my boys that it's a miracle drug the main purpose is for high blood pressure bit like any other drugs and Drs I talked too clonodine is a miracle drug but it's combined with my Xanax 2 mg but if u look on Wikipedia it cures so many anxiety adhd specially and other

just wanted to share and maybe my goal is to hel p others as long as they don't have high blood pressure but 3 highly known dr said there in the process of making stronger and it's not a harmful pill it really is a life saver and I have all 3 but clonodine alone or especially with high or medium strength benzo it could save a lot of lives sorry just wanted to inform people

Becuz I been deployed 5 times now i went to va dr and diagnosis was I had every anxiety disorder there was thank u and God bless hope it will save another life because eventually I was gonna eat that strong of painkillers to kill prob 50!peoele let me know I know there's a lot of people that it didn't help in jails people with severe bipolar terrors PTSD like me they give u clonodine but dr has to contact jail thanks hope I can get through specially to a kids head I 100percent support it also use it as a stimulant when they put patients under

qanda
10-28-15, 11:12 AM
My daughter was initially diagnosed bipolar because of extreme irritability, and she also has huge anxiety, and just a few days ago diagnosed ADHD. The thoughts in the past , with children anyway, was that irritability was the same as mania, so when my daughter was both depressed and irritable, it was seen as bipolar.

Then a women Liebenluft changed the way docs thought when she studied kids with huge irritability (no mania) with depression and when they grew up, they were not bipolar (never any mania even as adults). They turned out with anxiety and depression. So the thought is now it might be extreme anxiety and AHDH. She is trying a combo of an ssri with Ritalin? or some ADHD med can't remember. The results of the study are not out yet. Can't wait to see the results.

I was on a bipolar kids forum where parents warned of an SSRI as it sent their kids over the edge. But we eventually tried it and it had no negative effects on my daughter. Can't say it really has helped, but certainly never caused mania as many warned it could.