View Full Version : Biphentin, 7 year old and Anxiety

CanadianDad
09-24-15, 09:55 AM
As explained previously, my 7 year old son has been diagnosed ADHD Combined, with an EF LD mixed in. He's been on Biphentin (methylphenidate controlled release) since March and we've seen much improvement with his attention.

He's always been a loner kid, prefering to play his way, and seems perfectly fine by himself. However, though he has always been anxious, he seems to be more so now. The teacher told me he doesn't seem to play with other kids at break, but pretty much just watches them. Recently on a day out with a friend and his 10 year old (someone he gets along with and knows) he showed no interest in playing with him, and he does seem more nervous out in public. At home he's normal as he's always been :)

I've got an email into his Psychologist, and we'll talk to his Family Doctor next time we go in, but can I get some feedback from other parents in the same boat as to if this is to be expected or something to worry about. I'd prefer not to add another med on top of what he's taking if there's another option.

Thansk in advance,

/CD

sarahsweets
09-24-15, 11:36 AM
Here is my experience with the methylphenidate class of drugs both personally and with my kids. Personally it worked, but blunted my personality a bit. When it wore off I felt like sh*t. With my girls, it made them weepy. irritable,blunted,almost quiet, ancd very introverted which is not a part of their personality normally. Amphetamines might be something to look into.

CanadianDad
09-24-15, 11:46 AM
Here is my experience with the methylphenidate class of drugs both personally and with my kids. Personally it worked, but blunted my personality a bit. When it wore off I felt like sh*t. With my girls, it made them weepy. irritable,blunted,almost quiet, ancd very introverted which is not a part of their personality normally. Amphetamines might be something to look into.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming you switched to Amphetamines with your girls? Did you still maintain any positive results of the medication after the switch, and did any other negative side effects rear their head?

When it's just my wife, my son and myself he's not introverted at all, but I can tell he's more anxious when he get's weepy at the drop of a hat of something negative happening to him. In company though, he hardly says a word and doesn't want to do anything. Though he still struggles a little academically, he is better at that overall, but the social stuff is what is worrying his mother and me at the moment. Though, to be fair, neither me or my wife are social butterflies, and don't want to hold him to a standard we probably don't meet ourselves :)

sarahsweets
09-27-15, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming you switched to Amphetamines with your girls? Did you still maintain any positive results of the medication after the switch, and did any other negative side effects rear their head?

When it's just my wife, my son and myself he's not introverted at all, but I can tell he's more anxious when he get's weepy at the drop of a hat of something negative happening to him. In company though, he hardly says a word and doesn't want to do anything. Though he still struggles a little academically, he is better at that overall, but the social stuff is what is worrying his mother and me at the moment. Though, to be fair, neither me or my wife are social butterflies, and don't want to hold him to a standard we probably don't meet ourselves :)

My one daugher ended up taking adderall for about a year and a half but when she got to the second half of 8th grade it seemed like her body chemistry just changed and she couldnt handle stimulants anymore.This was a shame because they really did help her but it wasnt worth the negative effects it was having. None of my kids are currently on stimulants anymore.