View Full Version : What were you thinking about in the last 10 minutes ? (before reading addf)

neewsmonth
09-24-15, 11:21 PM
Also, when I asked people what they were thinking about and they told me "nothing", I always thought they were lying.

One of the most embarassing questions. Interestingly, I can't recall guys asking me what I am thinking. Even if they do, they don't really care. Ladies, however seem to insist on a positive answer. "Nothing" seems to be almost rude.

So, flirting aside, do women think "nothing" differently than men ?

Do they search their inner spacetime differently ? Like when you wake up and remember 2 dreams, but have no idea whether you spent an hour or 5 minutes dreaming them.

Do their thoughts have longer emotional payload so they don't notice the shorter "nothing" in-betweeens as often as men do ?

What about NT- vs ADD- "nothing" ?

BellaVita
09-25-15, 12:03 AM
I was thinking about a million things.

I was frantically trying to search for answers to a problem in my brain, was overloaded and heavily stressed out about another topic, was intrigued by something else, was notified I have to use the restroom, was thinking about what food I'll make, was thinking about how much I love someone, was thinking about a dream I had last night and how it made me feel and replaying parts of that dream, was trying to imagine what it must be like to be a certain person and what they are going through emotionally, was worried about someone, was admiring the sounds of the rain, was thinking about a friend of mine, and thinking about what it would be like to have kids (short daydream)......(there are probably more things I'm forgetting)

That was all in 6 minutes.

My brain always goes non-stop. I never think of "nothing" - haha that's a joke. :p

Greyhound1
09-25-15, 12:40 AM
I think actually thinking of nothing would be great. It would give my racing mind a break.

I have tried meditation and intentionally focusing on nothing and that seems impossible for me. I last about a second if that and get frustrated or I forget and go off thinking again.

peripatetic
09-25-15, 12:54 AM
usually when i say "nothing" what i'm indicating is that i can't articulate or identify "a thing" i'm thinking about. sometimes it's because my thoughts are scattered/fragmented, sometimes they're what you might call amorphous, sometimes i'm not thinking anything that's appropriate to say but saying "nothing positive" just encourages further questions when i don't want to discuss my thoughts and certainly don't want to have to deal with the facial expression that would elicit, but oftentimes it's that there are too many thoughts and when asked it snaps me out of all of them and i go blank at that moment and there's "nothing" i'm thinking apart from "think of something to say"...which tends to be a stressful thought and renders it impossible for me to actually think of something to say.

as a female, i don't see that it's a characteristic of women to not accept the response "nothing" and i know just as many women who reply "nothing" as men who do, so i can't relate to this being related to gender...

Daydreamin22
09-25-15, 01:13 AM
i was playing brain games

stef
09-25-15, 02:30 AM
There should be " other", i was waiting for the train and wondering if there actually would be a train at displayed time and calculating where to get on if its crowded and will i have time for a coffee and checking to see if i had work emails yet
Ok thats active solving problems i guess !

Gilthranon
09-25-15, 03:57 AM
I had this weirdest dream last night. Was a girl and had to find a why to kill my abusive bf because no other way out. In the end the confrontation becomes a Hollywood-worthy intense thriller-drama and I manage - while blowing up the apartment without leaving evidence. Then I'm on the run. Oddly enough literally. I can see myself - as a girl - the entire time. As I start running away a man with a moustache thinks it's a funeral while actually the crowd of people walking with us in the same direction knows it's an inspection of the exploded flat (unaware of my ex bf, I'm the only one who understands this guy) and can't help but awkwardly laugh. Suddenly I'm dressed in a grey jogging jacket, jogging with the crowd in a nature landscape. Now the chain on my car is why police can't find me, hence I decide we can't take it off as I'm, w my mother I think (?) escaping to get home.

sarahsweets
09-25-15, 04:00 AM
A peanut butter sandwich but I didnt see that option.;)

mildadhd
09-25-15, 09:49 PM
usually when i say "nothing" what i'm indicating is that i can't articulate or identify "a thing" i'm thinking about. sometimes it's because my thoughts are scattered/fragmented, sometimes they're what you might call amorphous, sometimes i'm not thinking anything that's appropriate to say but saying "nothing positive" just encourages further questions when i don't want to discuss my thoughts and certainly don't want to have to deal with the facial expression that would elicit, but oftentimes it's that there are too many thoughts and when asked it snaps me out of all of them and i go blank at that moment and there's "nothing" i'm thinking apart from "think of something to say"...which tends to be a stressful thought and renders it impossible for me to actually think of something to say.

as a female, i don't see that it's a characteristic of women to not accept the response "nothing" and i know just as many women who reply "nothing" as men who do, so i can't relate to this being related to gender...

wishing I could communicate better.

Ummmmmmmm.

I want to become a Affective Neuroscientist but I can't seem to get it together.

Ummmmmmmmm.

It is so mildly depressingly frustrating daily to feel something but not have the terminology to describe the things.

I don't seem to forget, example, I think and feel sometimes daily about many members posts, I do not forget about them, but I can't seem to write.

Umm.

Many times it has proven a blessing that I did not reply at the time.

Like I am rewarded with , if I wait (mostly unintentionally), although the sometimes awareness to wait, has helped things process somethings, a little better, over time.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I am all over the place at the moment. :)

P

SB_UK
09-25-15, 10:29 PM
What were you thinking about ?

Any hole in understanding which is protected by a 'here be dragons' sign.
You can feel it.
When you try and think about things that you don't understand, you can feel the desire not to think about them.

But these are the subjects which're most satisfying to think about, since, finding an answer to questions which one formerly has no solution to - resolves - each question a little more - one's mind

- and it feels like a sense of relaxation -a a bit like people tell us it feels when a knot is removed from muscle.

A feeling of comfort from eliminating a source of pain which we weren't really aware existed until it was removed.

The human mind has to have a mechanism to encourage its own build.
Despair at lack of understanding - 'here be dragons' - the despair keeps us away from delving deeper.
Satisfaction (a feeling of relaxation) - as our worldview resolves just that little bit more.

Most troublesome - devolving one's power of thought to some other person.

To a teacher, priest, mentor -
- none of that works.

You have to think for yourself to resolve one's own worldview.

-*-

So - from previously - we've looked at:

deductive and inductive reasoning

deductive - general -> specific
inductive - specific -> general

You can see the mind as a hierarchical model from the nature of deductive and inductive reasoning.

Where is my mind ? (http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=yFAnn2j4iB0#Pixies_-_Where_is_my_Mind_%28Fight_Club_Soundtrack%29_HQ)
A hierachical logical structure mirroring the hierarchical nature of evolution.

Where's the satisfaction in inductive/deductive reasoning ?
To construct a mind (that hierarchically layered structure)

- we have general observations/ideas (such as the mechanism of evolution operating through dualities) and specific observations/ideas eg the idea of male geometry as eversion of female geometry ... ... and it's fun connecting the two.

Paraphrasing Stabile.

Although it's tempting to characterize ADDers as big picture (top down) thinkers, we are just as capable of bottom up - thinking
- though the top down structure (wisdom structure of mind) acts as template for bottom up.

We cannot not do it - and so don't feel special about being it.

Top down ie generalization first and bottom up specifics first.
Top down - genealization
Bottom up - specifics first

Top down - Systems thinking and Bottom up - molecular thinking.

You could think of it as a jigsaw in which the outline is connected as a necessary precursor to the central pieces being placed in.
Crystallizes the picture coming together with outer template.
Or alternatively - ADDers gifted with pieces which will only fit in one place.

-*-

The trick is to see that there isn't actually any question that exists which isn't simple to solve.

... ... And ... ...

Also, when I asked people what they were thinking about and they told me "nothing", I always thought they were lying.

what happens is that resolving structure quietens because it (just by virtue) finds that there's actually nothing left to think about.

Why'd one ever think about any question which has been solved to the satisfaction of the mind ?

And if the mind was satisfied that it understood reality sufficiently ?
What would happen ?

It'd quiesce.

SB_UK
09-25-15, 11:00 PM
Sorry - missed 30 minute deadline.

What were you thinking about ?

Any hole in understanding which is protected by a 'here be dragons' sign.
You can feel it.
When you try and think about things that you don't understand, you can feel the desire not to think about them.

But these are the subjects which're most satisfying to think about, since, finding an answer to questions which one formerly has no solution to - resolves - each question a little more - one's mind

- and it feels like a sense of relaxation -a a bit like people tell us it feels when a knot is removed from muscle.

A feeling of comfort from eliminating a source of pain which we weren't really aware existed until it was removed.

The human mind has to have a mechanism to encourage its own build.
Despair at lack of understanding - 'here be dragons' - the despair keeps us away from delving deeper.
Satisfaction (a feeling of relaxation) - as our worldview resolves just that little bit more.

Most troublesome - devolving one's power of thought to some other person.

To a teacher, priest, mentor -
- none of that works.

You have to think for yourself to resolve one's own worldview.

-*-

So - from previously - we've looked at:

deductive and inductive reasoning

deductive - general -> specific
inductive - specific -> general

You can see the mind as a hierarchical model from the nature of deductive and inductive reasoning.

Where is my mind ? (http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=yFAnn2j4iB0#Pixies_-_Where_is_my_Mind_%28Fight_Club_Soundtrack%29_HQ)
A hierachical logical structure mirroring the hierarchical nature of evolution.

Where's the satisfaction in inductive/deductive reasoning ?
To construct a mind (that hierarchically layered structure)

- we have general observations/ideas (such as the mechanism of evolution operating through dualities) and specific observations/ideas eg the idea of male geometry as eversion of female geometry ... ... and it's fun connecting the two.

Paraphrasing Stabile.

Although it's tempting to characterize ADDers as big picture (top down) thinkers, we are just as capable of bottom up - thinking
- though the top down structure (wisdom structure of mind) acts as template for bottom up.We cannot not do it - and so don't feel special about being it.

Top down ie generalization first and bottom up specifics first.
Top down - genealization
Bottom up - specifics first

Top down - Systems thinking and Bottom up - molecular thinking.

You could think of it as a jigsaw in which the outline is connected as a necessary precursor to the central pieces being placed in.
Crystallizes the picture coming together with outer template.
Or alternatively - ADDers gifted with pieces which will only fit in one place.

-*-

The trick is to see that there isn't actually any question that exists which isn't simple to solve.

... ... And ... ...

what happens is that resolving structure quietens because it (just by virtue) finds that there's actually nothing left to think about.

Why'd one ever think about any question which has been solved to the satisfaction of the mind ?

And if the mind was satisfied that it understood reality sufficiently ?
What would happen ?

It'd quiesce.

The apparent 'Land of Confusion (http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=TlBIa8z_Mts#Genesis_-_Land_Of_Confusion)' which the video characterizes us as - is solely related to the individual/species clinging to confused models of understanding.
There's too many men
Too many people
Making too many problems
Can't you see
This is a land of confusion.
With resolution in mind - the individual shifts from a model [reward system] of 'take' to a model [reward system] of 'give'.

This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them and let's start trying
To make it a place worth living in.* David Bohm (scientist) describing the same idea
Thought is constantly creating problems that way and then trying to solve them. But as it tries to solve them it makes it worse because it doesn’t notice that it's creating them, and the more it thinks, the more problems it creates. (pp. 18–19)

** Science describing the same idea
http://m.today.duke.edu/2012/12/socialprimate

-*-

So from Bohm's 'Thought as a species level system' to Mirroring reward (in others).

What's the problem with mirroring reward ?

What if other people (Defective worldview) derive reward from hurting you ?

How does one obtain reward from another person deriving reward from one's own suffering ?

A key problem in ADDer - we need people to grow up their minds - so we can all derive reward from meaningful (where the collective landscape becomes ever better) rewarding activities.

-*-

So - bringing it all together.

Human beings are tasked with denying their own false models of understanding and replacing them with true understanding.
Individual confusion gives way to Collective enlightenment.
As this individual to speces awakening occurs, individuals shift from a reward system which 'takes' to a reward system which 'gives'.
The structuring mind ceases to hurt (logical inconsistencies) and we stop destroying our collective landscape with the awakening/enlightenment of the species.

BellaVita
09-25-15, 11:02 PM
Wow SB, and I thought *I* thought about a lot in 10 minutes!

SB_UK
09-25-15, 11:06 PM
eg the idea of male geometry as eversion of female geometry ... ... and it's fun connecting the two.

That's a bit rude if read the wrong way.
:eyebrow:

SB_UK
09-25-15, 11:11 PM
Wow SB, and I thought *I* thought about a lot in 10 minutes!

Thing about thought as a system is that it all merges into one.

why do people buy overpriced designer clothing ?
why do people display nationalist tendencies ?
where will technology take us ?
what's the ideal range of emoticons to use on a forum ?

Anything we think about automatically connects elsewhere in order to solve itself

- which is a long way around of suggesting that when we think we 'travel the world in the blink (rather than 80 days) of an eye'.

You can't travel from the UK to Australia without passing over intervening territories.

SB_UK
09-25-15, 11:27 PM
What were you thinking about in the last 10 minutes ? (before reading addf)

So the answer would be some considraton which requires resolution through mind.
Where the mind is by definition a global structure.

So - what were we thinking about ?
Everything necessarily.

And is this a good state to be in ?
No - we overload with this type of mind in a society which demands we 'do'.

So - the mind needs to resolve - such that we actually can 'do' without fielding internal inconssitencies.

Developing mind is protective against insanity.

How would a computer program fair if we used the same variable name for multple disparate things ? The program would fail (what we'd call through confusion).

SB_UK
09-25-15, 11:40 PM
Instead of asking what people were thinking about 10 minutes before - we can ask (more generally) what people think about ?

We generally have some issue which needs to be resolved through throwing what we have (in mind) at it.

Many of our thoughts aren't though satisfying.

How do we make kids who hate their music lessons play ?
Ultimate solution to define a form of learning which is enjoyable ...... but until then ... ... ...

How do we get kids to football matches ?
Ultimate solution - to define a society with nice humans and no cars - where they can walk ... ... but until then ... ... ...

How do we ensure that the world becomes ever better ?
Ultimate solution - for people to want to take themselves and the planet in that direction ... ... but until then ... ... ...

-*-

So - a series of ideas with working solutions, but underlying each working solution is an ideal solution - but where the ideal solution is out of an individual's hands.

And requires the species mind to just grow up.

Resolution (quietening) of the indivdual and collective mind.

Ahhh - so does that mean that we'll walk around with a blank mind ?
There's something interesting about the resolved mind.

It operates creatively without effort.

People will operate creatively without mental effort.

Although it appears as though we're not thinking - thought is occurring without conscious roadblocks - we engage a hyperfocus like state in which time passes, we create and we're happy.

-*-

To complete some creative project without being too sure when we did it.

'lost in music (http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=43qB9FpfCR8#Sister_Sledge_-_Lost_In_Music)'

Why waste life in a pointless 9-5 when we can lose ourselves in an immersive sensual world ?

Is it a trap ?
No - the 9-5 of wage slavery driving the love/desire of money or the addictive/primtiive/lower reward system is by definition the trap.

Corina86
09-26-15, 10:01 AM
Well:

-I have no idea what men think since I'm not a telepath
-I have no idea what other women think since I'm still not a telepath
-I have no idea what neurotypical people think because I'm not a telepath
-I have no idea what other ADHD-ers think because... we're all distinct individuals.

I think a lot, I daydream almost all the time and most of it is just mental masturbation (not always sexual, but stupid, useless, and satisfying), so I wouldn't share it with other.

About men taking "nothing" for an answer: I believe men are expected be more introverted and less unemotional, to hide their own thoughts and feelings, so they probably understand better when others do the same.

Women are taught to talk about stuff, especially deep, emotional stuff, and "nothing" is seen as a cop-out answer- it's rare to not think about anything, unless you're tired or bored. Instead it can be interpreted that you don't want to talk about what you're thinking of with the other person (since not talking about it to anyone is not so easily understood). So they might insist in order to get you to open up.

Sometimes people insist to know what others are thinking about when they're zoning out, because the silence can be very awkward and unpleasant, so they're hoping that if they talk about whatever it is that interests you at the moment, they'll actually have a conversation with you.