View Full Version : Can our brains turn off? Literally.

mildadhd
09-27-15, 01:48 PM
i am assuming different areas of the brain turn on and off, but the brain never completely turns off?

Superduperlayhuman

Opinions appreciated?

P

Unmanagable
09-27-15, 01:52 PM
As soon as this thread came up and I read the title, our power went out for a few seconds, then came back on. Woah. lol It's raining here, but not storming.

I feel as if my brain is never ever turned off, even in the deepest of meditative states.

mildadhd
09-27-15, 02:01 PM
As soon as this thread came up and I read the title, our power went out for a few seconds, then came back on. Woah. lol It's raining here, but not storming.

I feel as if my brain is never ever turned off, even in the deepest of meditative states.

Neat.

My TV signal just turned off, but not the TV.

Honestly

Quiet ( can hear the wind outside)

Was quiet fridge just turned on, can't hear the wind so well anymore.

"There's a jet"

P

dvdnvwls
09-27-15, 04:00 PM
I don't think our brains have the possibility of truly turning off until death. Coma is the closest we get, and it's apparent from the fact that comatose people sometimes respond to stimuli that something in there keeps going even during a coma.

BioLiberate
09-29-15, 01:39 AM
Turning the brain off is called death. The brain is always active in some way until death. Maybe some near-death experiences can count, but even then, there is usually still some type of electrical activity going on.

SB_UK
10-05-15, 11:27 PM
Cure for anxiety - turning the mind off ?
Balancing the mind -
- or at least changing channel.

If we see the mind as a generator of un-ease (stress) based on cognitive dissonance - (ie holding 2 conflicting ideas simultaneously which grates) - then we can see how worldview would result (in the absence of balanced/complete/globally logically consistent/wise mind) in dysfunction.
Accumulated wealth can not be taken with you when you die - and yet all that people do is aspire to the accumulation of wealth in life.

If - there are 2 sides to the things we do ie computer games can be used for learning or destruction, TV can be used for learning or destruction, sports can be used for learning or destruction -

- then mind can be used for learning or destruction. All depends on the make-up the mind wears. Smothered or uncovered.

We can shape the mind with understandign and we can assume that the brain will play along - but it's too difficult to imagine real-time individual neural activity.

That is - it's easy to identify why an idea may come to mind - but not why an action potential comes to brain.

Is this the closest we can get to suppressing brain activity ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_mode_network

Or delta (0 Hz) cortical EEG ?

Or both ? Since DMN appears to associate with withdrawing reactivity to external cues.
DMN invesely correlated with processing external visual signals - absence in visual signals when we enter delta EEG in eg sleep ?

I've noted (elsewhere on site) that when I drop down the EEGs - that the optical informational stream appears to go out of focus.

SB_UK
10-05-15, 11:42 PM
The highly significant correlation found between the delta power within the DMN and the parahippocampal gyrus is in line with the association of delta frequencies with memory processes. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24505434

The default mode network is an interconnected and anatomically defined[5] brain system that preferentially activates when individuals engage in internal tasks such as daydreaming, envisioning the future, retrieving memories, and gauging others' perspectives.[5]

SB_UK
10-05-15, 11:53 PM
A strong link between the spontaneous BOLD response of the left parahippocampal gyrus and the delta-band extracted from the anterior cingulate cortex was found.
The highly significant correlation found between the delta power within the DMN and the parahippocampal gyrus is in line with the association of delta frequencies with memory processes. delta band ACC -> parahippocampal gyrus
delta power DMN -> parahippocampal gyrus

delta band ACC [species memory] -> parahippocampal gyrus [individual memory] in delta power DMN [mode of interaction between individual and species memory]

Anterior cingulate gyrus connects us to others.
Hippocampus is individual (a transmitter/receiver).
Memory consolidation (storage) and retrieval in delta power DMN space ?

storage -> cloud server HDD -> retrieval

So - the idea of storage/retrieval of memories (hippocampus-anterior cingulate cortex in DMN mode as bi-directional wireless network card onto a cloud server) onto and from an enforcedly shared public domain space ?

-*-

That's difficult to imagine in action - however - it's much simpler to explore morality and to separate what is right from what is wrong - as a method of rationalising - clearing - deactivating anxiety - which is why we originate the idea of 'turning our brains off'.

When stressed it is nice to fall asleep and leave our worries behind.
Sadly as stress escalates - sleep becomes impossible.

Sleep should allow (delta EEG) for memory consolidation ?

-*-

Shifting to individuals as dumb terminals (the original underlying principle of the UNIX OS).

The Unix environment and the client–server (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%E2%80%93server) [DUMB TERMINAL MODEL] program model were essential elements in the development of the Internet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet) [UNIX-NETWORK DISTRIBTION-INTERNET] and the reshaping of computing as centered in networks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_networking) rather than in individual computers [SOCIAL STRUCTURE FORMATION].

It will be so nice to shift to a fully functioning google chrome-like system - rather than supporting so many incompatible operating systems and architectures.

Life spent trying to keep the machines up and running - and not actually using them.
Life spent engaged in the bureaucracy of living (paying bills, travelling to work, ferrying kids, changing energy suppliers, reading fine print) - and not actually in sampling life.

SB_UK
10-06-15, 12:31 AM
dumb terminal *1 <-> cloud server *2

short term memory - very limited - 7 +- 2 data points (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory#Short-term_memory)
long term memory - consolidated

The hippocampus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocampus) is essential (for learning new information) to the consolidation of information from short-term to long-term memory, although it does not seem to store information itself.

Hippocampus is individual (a transmitter/receiver).

Without the hippocampus, new memories are unable to be stored into long-term memory ... ...
The Hippocampi look like internal antennae (https://ewwgrosser.wikispaces.com/file/view/hippocampus.jpg/259851022/hippocampus.jpg)

... the hippocampus is believed to be involved in spatial learning and declarative learning (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declarative_learning), while the amygdala is thought to be involved in emotional memory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_and_memory).declarative - tendency to rational [ie logical facility reducing distress felt]
emoional - tendency to moral [ie moral facility reducing distress felt]

Although declarative and emotional learning/memory can go awry when the rational and moral facilities diverge - the goal isn't to suppress one or the other.

rational - 'mind'
moral - 'heart'

The basis to the idea of winning 'hearts and minds' - but not in the usual context of war - which represents misappropriation.

To be human would be to aspire to the union of heart and mind - referring to a rational moral code for living one's life.

The net effect of obtaining wisdom (the rational moral code) would be to result in placing the individual within a world-view which does not distress -

absence in distress -> cortisol sensitivity -> from which -> we can jump to -> - implies optimal basal sensitivity to cortisol

Cortisol is neithe bad nor good.
DHEA is neither bad nor good.

The key is optimal basal balance - the evolutionary motif - of standing wave fielding periodicity.

A spring moving in eustressful elastic avoiding distressful plastic behaviour <- physiological homeostasis.
(http://image.slidesharecdn.com/hookslaw-110719233301-phpapp02/95/hooks-law-10-728.jpg?cb=1311118880)

But why allow the spring to move at all - wouldn't it be better for the spring to be at rest ?

There's no such thing as rest - there's simply balanced motion.

From which (the idea of the evolving but balanced male / female standing wave) - we see that the zero-energy universe theory states that the total amount of energy in the universe is exactly zero.

SB_UK
10-06-15, 01:06 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Multistore_model.png

Looks good.

So a laptop wireless card is responsible for cloud server storage/retrieval.

Rehearsal - repetition in sensory cortical - cerebellar - motor cortical loops in learning.

Short term memory is learning.

Does a dumb terminal have a local hard disk drive.

Evolution

sensory (informational stream) - short term (local disk) - long term memory (cloud disk)

->- to ->-

sensory (informational stream) - long term memory (cloud disk)

Model of Attention in ADHD (see image above)
Attention is wrestled from one's local concerns to higher (species) concerns by nature of direct connectivity between dumb terminal and source.

Bypass short term memory - access real-time functioning ... ... ...

-*-

Summarising [series of posts]
[1] 2 informational streams - with optical and aural channel streams/encoding representing our two key sources/links to the outside world.
[2] Intuitive connection between optical and visual and aural and verbal - with visuo/spatial and verbal representing the 2 oft-repeated forms of thinking*.
[3a] Intuitive connection between optical/visuospatial and 'hearts' and aural/verbal and 'minds'.
[3b]
optical/visuospatial/'hearts' ->- emotional facility
aural/verbal and 'minds' ->- logical facility
[3c]
optical/visuospatial/'hearts' ->- emotional facility ->- moral facility
aural/verbal and 'minds' ->- logical facility ->- rational facility
[4] We need balance between these 2 informational streams (ie neither path is either good or bad - we need both) which operates (ie as we drive an appropriate (rational moral response) towards individual learning) increasing capacity in discerning aural/optical sensitivity (sensitivity in information processing).
[5] Leading us back to the idea that we're predisposed (current evolutionary task set) with the goal of improving personal (informational stream resolution) quality.

Summarising [series of posts]
[1] Shifting nature of ADDer bypassing short term memory unit between sensory information and long term memory storage/retireval noting connectionto ADDer preference for theta EEG (shape/access creativity - the idea of creativity in mind and in quality ie 2 species-wide shared informational structures which we've needed to create).
[2] Altered mode of attention from 'local' to distributed'.
[3a] Intuitive connection between shifting from local to distributed in shifting us from individualistic into a social species
[3b]
Short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> short term memory/competitive ->- not in real-time functioning
Discard short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> long term memory/collaborative (social species) ->- real-time functioning
[3c]
Short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> short term memory/competitive ->- not in real-time functioning ->- executive (local) function
Discard short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> long term memory/collaborative (social species) ->- real-time functioning ->- abandonment of executive functioning
[3d]
Short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> short term memory/competitive ->- not in real-time functioning ->- executive (local) function ->- lack of informational sensitivity
Discard short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> long term memory/collaborative (social species) ->- real-time functioning ->- abandonment of executive functioning ->- informational sensitivity

*Spatial thinking is the principal complement to verbal thinking

SB_UK
10-06-15, 01:53 AM
Missed post-edit deadline

[3d]
Short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> short term memory/competitive ->- not in real-time functioning ->- executive (local) function ->- lack of informational sensitivity ->- distress insensitive ->- unenforcedly** rationality, morality, intrinsic quality as reward system
Discard short term memory module/attention defined by sensory info <-> long term memory/collaborative (social species) ->- real-time functioning ->- abandonment of executive functioning ->- informational sensitivity ->- distress sensitive ->- enforcedly** rationality, morality, intrinsic quality as reward system

** enforcedly = altered logical structure (connectivity) of information handling from EOR to AND.

Prove it
See structural evolution of carbon towards global consistency ie single structure formation.
Trigonal planar - graphite - planar structures slide alongside one another - absence of cognitive dissonance - capacity for doublethink
Tetrahedral - diamond - enforced logical consistency by structural modification

-*-

Or more simply.

The basic pattern of evolution.

Stage 1 - Initial structure
Stage 2 - Phenomenological unit - time - periodicity - orthogonal standing wave to
Stage 3 - Phenomenological unit - space - 2 dimensions - standing wave (duality)
Stage 4 - Social impulse - cohesion

Stage 1
|

Stage 2
||_

Stage 3
||_|/
|_||\

Stage 4
|_|/
|_|\

With labelled geometries

(http://employee.heartland.edu/rmuench/chem120/geometry_files/image001.jpg)

Stage 1
|

Stage 2
||_

Stage 3 - trigonal planar
||_|/
|_||\

Stage 4 - tetrahedral
|_|/
|_|\

SB_UK
10-06-15, 01:55 AM
^^^

The creative/evolutionary motif.

Trigonal planar is simply Tetrahedral waiting to happen.

Diamond is enforcedly moral whereas graphite slip slides around.

A slippery, slithery character is graphite.

SB_UK
10-06-15, 02:12 AM
quote=_;1760374]
Stage 4 - tetrahedral
|_|/
|_|\
[/quote]

|
standing wave orthogonal to
_

/
\

|

-*-

Tetrahedral introduces chirality
where
Eversion male <-> female archetype geometries shown here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Invertedcarbon.png/300px-Invertedcarbon.png

What's the importance of chirality ?
Information content (of essential utility in increasing universal informational entropy) - we need a 1 and a 0 - trigonal planar has no information content.

Ahhhh!

So ... ... the mind without tetrahedral enforced consistency is (of course) not a mind at all.

-*-

Answering the question - why don't human beings with mind operate in line with rational morality ?
Because human beings don't yet have a mind.

Scarecrow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarecrow_%28Oz%29) wicker man (http://www.heyuguys.com/images/2010/11/The-Wicker-Man-1.jpg).

SB_UK
10-06-15, 02:30 AM
[a]
pre-Big Bang |
[b]
into the physics of wave

| Planck time
< Planck unit standing wave,
| gravity

[c]
through material world particulate physics / atomic chemistry

... ... into ... ...

[d]
the informational, globally logically consistent structure of completed mind.

-*-

An exponentially increasing informational/informationally entropic Universe.

Three basic sequential motifs

- the domain of Planck wave (electromagnetic spectrum) giving way to
- the domain of the material world (from fundamental particle onwards) giving way to
- the informational world (human-accessible structures of understanding and quality)

TracyLauren
10-06-15, 10:07 AM
SB_UK < :scratch:

TracyLauren
10-06-15, 10:23 AM
I can totally relate to Peripheral's OP. I've used this analogy before to explain to people how my medication works for me. Without medication my brain is in a complete fog just wandering around from thought to thought. For me to focus on a task would require significant effort or a dose of adrenalin. Without being "switched on" I'm not very useful!

The problem for me is my meds aren't working like they used to. Caffeine helps very little and the effect is short lived so I've just been avoiding it. I'm on Concerta and it used to work well for me but it's effects are steadily declining. I've been looking for a therapist so I can review my treatment.

Lunacie
10-06-15, 11:31 AM
Members here say that caffeine and stimulants don't mix well.

My granddaughter started out on Concerta, it was wonderful for about a year.
Then the duration began reducing and it wasn't getting her through a full day
at school. Doctor was hesitant to add a short-acting booster and switched her
to a med that caused all kinds of side-effects. Eventually she stopped taking
any meds at all. Her anxiety attacks got worse, causing depression. Now she
relies mostly on caffeine.

SB_UK
10-06-15, 02:12 PM
SB_UK < :scratch:

I wanted to know why people with mind act like people without a mind.

Can their brains be turned off? Literally.Turns out - that they can (in effect)
- and that one doesn't actually have a mind until the state of wisdom is achieved.

And that wisdom can be understood using evolutionary logic
ie that we can infer mind (how to understand it) from the areas of research which are amenable to empirical experimentation - and which provide us with this evolutionary logic.

Just building a structure by the pattern described in the posts above.

-*-

Would we want to turn our brains off if they were the source of fun ?

They're only to be despised when they're expected to be used for nothing of deserving consequence - instead only shades of pain.

Pointless mind, Pointless society.

Lunacie
10-06-15, 02:16 PM
I wanted to know why people with mind act like people without a mind.

Turns out - that one doesn't actually have a mind until the state of wisdom is achieved.

And that wisdom can be understood using evolutionary logic
ie that we can infer mind (how to understand it) from the areas of research which are amenable to empirical experimentation - and which provide us with this evolutionary logic.

I don't think that's what Peripheral was asking. The mind is not the same as
the brain. The brain controls our autonomous functions. The mind is what does
the thinking, planning, reflecting.

The mind may turn off when we sleep, but studies have shown that there is
an underlying awareness even when under anesthesia, so I don't think the
mind ever shuts down completely.

The brain only shuts down when it dies.

SB_UK
10-06-15, 02:40 PM
Just thinking about

sensory deprivation shutting down sensory - interneurone - motor loops and association with out of body experiences ... ...

Deprivation of sensory input shut shutdown a major part of brain activity - sensory deprivation though associating with connection to 'extra sensory perception'

- which ... ... ... just a sec ... ...

post edit

sense of self separates from sense of body ie they're 2 different things - sense of self is maintained when sense of body is lost (eg sleep) -

sense of self (distributed) occupies sense of body.

2 separate things.

Near death experiences / out of body experiences - connect to feelings of peace / painlessness.

Pain comes from the physical body.
The sense of self is elsewhere.

Sense of self dissociated from sense of body gives us a path into extrasensory perception.

A virtual encoding.

SB_UK
10-06-15, 03:33 PM
Virtual encoding

Earth 40,000 km around.

3 Hz 100 000 km wavelength
6 50,000 km
8 ~40,000 km theta/alpha EEG interface
12 25,000 km
24 12,500 km
30 Hz 10,000 km

theta EEG - daydream,creativity (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Q4QQAjtLP80C&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=theta+EEG+daydream+creativity&source=bl&ots=88m1Ebad13&sig=YhPCt-dnWok1u3z79O43tJiuiF0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CE8Q6AEwCGoVChMIr_3hgsuuyAIVhCUeCh1U1ggw#v=on epage&q=theta%20EEG%20daydream%20creativity&f=false)

Getting there.

mildadhd
10-06-15, 10:15 PM
Our minds are experiences of our brains.

BrainMind (bottom-up function)

MindBrain (top-down function)

Our brains are the operating systems of our minds.

Can our BrainMind/MindBrain turn off?

P

SB_UK
10-07-15, 12:55 AM
Near death experiences / out of body experiences - connect to feelings of peace / painlessness.

Pain comes from the physical body.
The sense of self is elsewhere.

Under the cover (and as repeated many times over) - I like software but not hardware - hardware breaks - software - if written properly - does not.

The cell has a limited timespan - it must reach a point when it dies.

However, one can attribute a sense of immortality to the complex radio wave-form within atmospheric cavity -
a waveform within waveguide of the cavity between electrical flows of the planet and ionosphere ... ... electrical/lightning activity like a child revving a spinning top.

The revving mechanism - lightning.
The spinning top - a waveform representing an individual's world view.

From which point - we can return to the idea of:
destructive interference (wave, physics) and cognitive dissonance.
ie the idea of rationalising the collection of individual models (individually-held models of reality) and generating one overarching structure which is 'compatible'.

The next stage - to see increasing individual quality arising through diversity in waveform -
however - as above -
generation of a compatible waveform (species wide behaviour in line with wisdom) is required before the waveform may diverge to compatible intricacy.

Informational complexity.

To overcome personal demons through mind.

The idea then - separation of 'mind' and 'body' referring to instructional code of individual (what people would call mind) and the seat of sensation ie physical body transduced through sensory neural system - information.

Imagine life as a dumb terminal - we would appear as though we were a local computer - without underlying intuition into the network link which gives us our character.

So hardware - dumb client hardware - brain
software - distributed - mind

Of extreme importance (see above) - the hippocampal network card - fielding bi-directional communication of physical body into mental waveform.

So - the beauty of this is that evolution's trick to permit seamless integration of hierarchically higher abstraction layers into cohesion - is performing just that in giving we, dumb terminals the experiential perspective of mind being stored within brain - when - the pattern of evolution is to 'take it higher' ... ... we're fooled by the elegant integration which characterizes the evolutionary process working ever over.

Next - the feeling - upon death - of the soul leaving the body.

This is actually physical separation and incorporation of our higher encoding into the collective waveform.

The waveform is still a construct of phyenomenological reality - should we reall call it soul ?

As a tree ages - the past is encoded within its trunk.

As people live - the individual has an impact.

All events which occur, shape - in some way - the future.

{to be continued}

-*-

Now - more simply - we can return to the idea of -

suffering - caused by material world attachment.
If we see the indivdual as -
mental self - physical self
- and if we experience a painless / peaceful state on near-death-experience - then we can see that it's pain which arises from the higher
under-the-cover drive to have elegantly coded software without hardware facility (waveform) in association with neural train passing along the standard physical body's sensory system.

So - are you suggesting that we need to sever the connection ?
The brain only shuts down when it dies.

Doesn't exactly sound optimal, does it ?

Without thinking though - there are multiple schools of thought which introduce us into the world of 'losing material world attachment'
:-)
... ... which I'm not going to repeat again -
:p

East
"I have taught one thing and one thing only, dukkha and the cessation of dukkha."
West
"This suite of texts can be considered to have but one basic message - cessation of worship of 'false idols' ... ..."
Note 'false idols' = addictively alluring pursuits and none of the above has anything to do with what people call 'God'.

-*-

So ... ... ... the dumb client can be switched off.
The dumb client can appear dysfunctional if cloud server software/hardware is defective.
The dumb client can appear defective if network card stops working.

-*-

An underlying level of stress 'Dukkha is a term commonly translated as "suffering", "anxiety", "stress", or "unsatisfactoriness"'.So - we;re bak around to the idea of an inividual being under stress whilst trapped within material attachment paradigm.

And of course - the solution to the stress of life is - to go one way or the other.

So - connection to:

addiction* -<- choice ->- transcendence**

* - morphine - opiatee
** - note connection between transcendence/dissociation and opioid system activation.

Excellent

Dissociatives (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative) - NMDA receptor antagonists and k-opioids receptor agonists.

NMDA receptor antagonists - dissociate by taking a sledgehammer to network card.

k-opioid agonist - common observation that extreme pain leads to dissociation.

The common belief that pain can secure happiness through release.

-*-

Doesn't sound like much fun does it ?

-*-

To escape pain - all we need do - and in line with the relationship between
physical body - seat of physical self
mental body - virtual waveform

is develop the virtual waveform to rational morality and then to stipulate a world in which the physical body exists in which the sensitive (see Markram's hyperfunctional sensory-cerebellar-motor micro-circuitry) central nervous system is not exposed to harm).

Sensitivity requires a matching external environment in which to blossom and not die.

Sensitivity requires a world without co-ercion -

a world of voluntaryism without any human being required to work for happy survival.

Co-operative generation of proper food and sustainably generated housing.

-*-

So - can we turn off the brain ?

No - we can imagine evolution as creating - an onion in which each layer moves over one another - the beauty of 'abstraction layer' exactly as we see in ISO/OSI or TCP/IP model is that each layer handles its own issues to ensure that the upper (higher) level operates smoothly ... ... in our case - upon acquisition of wisdom - the personal for collective wavefrom complexity - exploration, acquisition of personal quality.

-*-

Connection to soul and spirit.

Soul - underlying feed into pre-Big Bang reality.
Spirit - the evolutionary thrust towards transcendence (ie increasing informational entropy by evolutionary mechanism).

What happens when we die ?

As a tree ages - the past is encoded within its trunk.
As people live - the individual has an impact.
All events which occur, shape - in some way - the future.
{to be continued}The individual's waveform is incorporated into the collective waveform.

A dumb terminal's files in a central server will (ie the files) continue to exist even when the dumb terminal is lost.

But is the individual observing their soul leaving the body ?

Since the generation of mind - and the physical body moving on - to generate a collective species wide property
- the shared construct of mind - so we can attribute the soul (soul - connection to ground, spirit - evolutionary thrust towards transcendental) as connected to higher waveform ... ... and so I don't know that I'd like to call it the soul leaving the body -

- but would call it something like the effects associated (upon death) of the class of dissociative (NMDA R.A. and k-opioid A.) on experientail perspective.

-*-

Summarising
[1] Physical Death is the ultimate dissociative (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative).
[2] 2 neural feeds - physical and mental senation ie physical and mental bodies
[3] Root of suffering - attachment between 2
[4] Loss of suffering - release of attachment, not through physical death, but through structural re-organization (cf enlightenment/resurrection) of the higher facility of mind towards enforced rational morality =the state of= wisdom.
[5] Mental self and 'Sensory quality' self can be understood as rationalising and then adding intricacy to a fundamentally shared waveform which is generated (ie species cohesion) by a wave with wavelength equivalent to the circumference of the planet - giving us the 8 Hz theta/alpha EEG transition which connects us to this waveform ie the state of neural coherence required to interact with this overarching waveform.

SB_UK
10-07-15, 01:24 AM
How do we tend towards shutting down the brain ?
We either over or under-stimulate the brain.

So - we've covered increased sensory and decreased usage of the neurone - both leading to deletion of neurone.
So [over] distress -<- eustress ->- distress [under]

So - although not 'switching' off - we're eliminating neurone.

Which (as the brain tends towards absence in nerve) will represent a 'dimmer' switch - definitions 1 and 7. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dim)

-*-

Furthermore - physiological homeostasis / negative feedback.

Increased exposure (prior to overt deletion of nerve) will lead (ie with increasing ligand/neurotransmitter) in physiology down-regulating level of receptor to reduce sensitivity.

IE first we downregulate (physiological negative feedback) sensitivity to stressor and then we (if nerve chronically activated) - delete the nerve cell.

So ... ... ... we are required to see that over-cranking the material world body results in desensitization - and working towards developing the internal quality character - does not.

A fundamental choice between addictive and transcendental release.

Currently - society supports people making only the addictive choice of spending one's life pursuing happiness through the pursuit of the empty idols of beating other people, having more money than other people, exerting power over other people, being higher in some scheme than other people, abuse of other people ... ... and not in making oneself better.

Making oneself better should make others better also.

SB_UK
10-07-15, 01:27 AM
How do we tend towards shutting down the brain/mind/... ?
We may drape a light-tight sheet over a shoot.

How do we tend towards opening up the brain/mind/... ?
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

SB_UK
10-07-15, 01:39 AM
Currently - society supports people making only the addictive choice of spending one's life pursuing happiness through the pursuit of the empty idols of beating other people, having more money than other people, exerting power over other people, being higher in some scheme than other people, abuse of other people ... ... and not in making oneself better.

Making oneself better should make others better also.

Exposure to intermittent episodes of social defeat stress can increase drug seeking and leads to intense drug taking in rats.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3707112/

Nobody can win if any individual places beating other people as reward system.

Everybody can win if making oneself better (from morality to personal quality acquisition) is the reward system.

The placeholder and properly human reward systems of competiion and collaboration, respectively.

-*-

What's the key problem that people will have to this idea ?
Habituation to a world of money where competition and survival have become seemingly irreversibly intertwined.

Collaboration is alien to people in a world where 'greed/competition is good' has become the prime directive.

-*-

What're we required to do ?
Simply to allow people to develop mind and quality by removing all of the bureaucratic hurdles we place in front of people -
- all people living to make pension payments such that, when finally free at pensionable age - the individual that dies 1 day before pension payable ... ... can finally live.

We can't wait until tomorrow - because the nature of the physical body is that tomorrow may never come.

Knowing mortality should provide incentive for the individual to pursue life and not to satisfy oneself in a waiting line, docile sheep - a species in a queue to enter a building - which nobody has even the faintest clue - within lies (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lie).

SB_UK
10-07-15, 01:54 AM
Conclusion
Physical education [body]
^^
||
vv
Rational/Moral education [mind]
^^
||
v
Art(istry) education [spirit defined as current (ascendent) under development/evolutionary instantiation or abstraction layer]

Top down and Bottom up models of learning/education which uniquely specify what it is (and will soon be) to be human.

SB_UK
10-07-15, 02:00 AM
Re: Can our brains turn off? Literally.
With a rational/moral/sensitive mindbrainspirit we can tune out to nonsense.

SB_UK
10-07-15, 02:05 AM
Define nonsense ?
Any unsustainable process which is not permissive/facilitatory on an ever improving {betterment,happiness,fun} ENTIRE collective environment.

The drive towards becoming personally better has no relationship with the drive to be better than others; one provides one's own redemptive pathway and need assist and not impede others in their various, diverse journeys towards a meaningful existence.

SB_UK
10-07-15, 02:26 AM
Define redemptive ?
In metaphor - to make it back to, after ejection from 'The garden' ... ...
Ejection from 'The garden' is a necessary aspect of evolution/creation in its inexorable (it has no choice) thrust towards further evolution/creation.
Otherwise uneasy a-rrest - 'lessness'.

Abi
10-07-15, 04:39 PM
Thread temporarily closed for staff review.