View Full Version : Trying to find the right treatment for my 12 year old son! Help!

ldestefano
09-27-15, 10:22 PM
I feel like I am at a loss here. My son has been on medication for about 5 years now. For the most part he has been on Concerta 54 until recently. It worked while in elementary school. He took it at 8:30 am and it lasted til around 4:30-5. Now in the middle school he takes it at 6:30 and its out of his system by around 2:30 while he is still in school. In addition he was taking Clonidine .2 for sleep at night. One of the issues we have been struggling with is the meltdowns in the early evening and first thing in the morning. They have gotten worse. We have tried different medications like Vyvanse, Daytrana and Focalin XR which helped a little in focusing longer and increased meltdowns in the evening turning my whole household upside down.

I am trying so hard to get the right medication for him and still keep peace in my home! I have 3 kids 17, 14, and my 12 year old. My two older ones never had this.

We recently had a ekg test done at his neurologist office (it was on his head) and the results were that he was completely disengaged. So they put him on Focalin XR but shortly after we have noticed increased behavioral problems at home.

Now the doctor had prescribed Clonodine ER to be taken twice a day. I just started him on it over the weekend and so far it is okay. I am keeping my fingers crossed. His big issue is impulsivity and hyperactivity. He has trouble focusing at school but not understanding the material. I feel horrible. All my husband and I do is holler at him. My 17 year old daughter barely wants to be around because of all the yelling going on with him. And my 14 year old son and him are constantly at each other.

He is such a good kid at heart and deep down he knows he has an issue and often feels bad about it. My husband and I are trying everything with medication a 504 plan at school and also fine tuning his diet as well. I just wish there was something out there that would help him with focusing without these nasty meltdowns. He struggles in the morning as well but once the medicine is in him he is okay.

sarahsweets
09-29-15, 04:24 AM
A couple of things:
All of the medications you have tried for him are extended release. Did you know that? Some kids just dont do well on any extended release med. Sometimes the instant release is gentler for themj. In your case, since concerta is part of the methylphenidate class of drugs, ritalin would be a good alternative. Also, 504's can be great, my oldest daughter has one, but sometimes IEP's are a little more specific and hold the school accountable. Just a thought.

ldestefano
09-29-15, 10:11 PM
Thanks! The Concerta 54 I don't believe was extended release but yes the others are. The problem is the shorter term ones don't last throughout the school day and after school for home work. At one point in elementary it did because the day was shorter but the time he has to leave and when he gets home it's long. The other thing was severe meltdowns. It wasn't as bad with concerta but the others yes and we immediately stopped. We never tried Ritalin before.

I'm actually thinking about doing a 36 and an 18 of Concerta. Doing 36 in the morning and 18 at school in the late afternoon. I may consider the iep as well. We really had to fight for the 504. So far so good though as long as we are all following the plan. I'm hopeful this year. His teachers seem to be on board with everything. Last year I was made to feel like I was inconveniencing the school with the plan that we had in place.

sarahsweets
09-30-15, 04:59 AM
Thanks! The Concerta 54 I don't believe was extended release but yes the others are. The problem is the shorter term ones don't last throughout the school day and after school for home work. At one point in elementary it did because the day was shorter but the time he has to leave and when he gets home it's long. The other thing was severe meltdowns. It wasn't as bad with concerta but the others yes and we immediately stopped. We never tried Ritalin before.

I'm actually thinking about doing a 36 and an 18 of Concerta. Doing 36 in the morning and 18 at school in the late afternoon. I may consider the iep as well. We really had to fight for the 504. So far so good though as long as we are all following the plan. I'm hopeful this year. His teachers seem to be on board with everything. Last year I was made to feel like I was inconveniencing the school with the plan that we had in place.
Concerta is a long acting form of ritalin. There is no short acting form of concerta. It was made to be an alternative to taking multiple short acting doses of ritalin.

wrd9000
10-13-15, 09:51 AM
Have you tried Adderall or Dexedrine instead? Also perhaps Lithium or Depakote might work, they are mood stabilizers. Lithium doesn't necessarily have to be at high dose, if he's not bipolar with mania a low dose is quite safe and can be effective.