View Full Version : Unexpected Prescription

Powderbucket
09-29-15, 03:42 AM
Hello lovely people,

So for the past month or so, I have been suffering from the worst kind of sleeping problems. Basically, it doesn't matter how exhausted I am, I wake up after feeling asleep with a racing heart, anxious thoughts and adrenaline. It's been taking me 3 hours to fall asleep at night and it's officially affected my health, work, relationship and general well-being.

I sleep AMAZINGLY when I don't have to go to work the next day. Also, I had an 8-day break from Concerta and I can certainly rule it out as a cause for insomnia. My P-Doc agrees with me because I can Concerta on a Friday and a Saturday and will sleep absolutely marvelously because I don't have work the next day.

Anyway, to the point:

She has prescribed me with 100mg of Trazadone. I don't feel like Googling this medication, but I'd really like to know what your thoughts and feeling are with regards tot his, especially for someone like me who is ADHD, takes Concerta and who now has anxiety attacks at night. I've never taken anti-depressants before and I don't know what to expect. I don't even know what Trazadone is, and something in me actually doesn't want to know because I don't want to jump to silly conclusions, I just want your experiences, thoughts and feelings.

And we're not going the Benzo route.

Thank you in advance :)

P.S. I'm slightly worried about it making me gain weight.

Abi
09-29-15, 03:52 AM
It's a common choice. Many here take it.
I'm a benzo guy personally but I respect your position.

Powderbucket
09-29-15, 04:21 AM
It's a common choice. Many here take it.
I'm a benzo guy personally but I respect your position.

I'm a stubborn woman :p

It's funny.

I start Concerta, I start excelling at life, then the excelling creates pressure, pressure creates stress, now I need another medication for the new problem.

:confused:

Abi
09-29-15, 04:24 AM
:(

Excelling at life is relative I guess.

BellaVita
09-29-15, 05:00 AM
I was on Trazodone for around 7ish years.

It worked decent, worked better with Clonazepam.

I would have preferred to have been on Clonazepam only, though.

Pilgrim
09-29-15, 05:01 AM
Hope this is on topic. I had this problem of not sleeping. Took Citalopram for a month and for me it got rid of a lot of the anxiety.

I think heavy chronic doses of anxiety are a no no for ADD

Powderbucket
09-29-15, 09:32 AM
:(

Excelling at life is relative I guess.

I forgot to mention that you can read my replies with a hint of thick sarcasm, especially when I'm talking about myself. I think it's my way of brightening up a dreary situation.

Powderbucket
09-29-15, 09:34 AM
Hope this is on topic. I had this problem of not sleeping. Took Citalopram for a month and for me it got rid of a lot of the anxiety.

I think heavy chronic doses of anxiety are a no no for ADD

The anxiety feels like someone slapping me with a muddy, sloppy hammer.

Last night, I went for a walk around the house and then fell asleep on the floor from exhaustion. I woke up minutes later because I was cold. It was strange though because at least I fell asleep! Just in the wrong place.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Powderbucket
09-29-15, 09:35 AM
I was on Trazodone for around 7ish years.

It worked decent, worked better with Clonazepam.

I would have preferred to have been on Clonazepam only, though.

Thanks Bella.

I made the mistake of Googling it and the first thing I read was how it didn't help for sleep :|

Really need to remain positive about this.

BellaVita
09-29-15, 10:16 AM
Thanks Bella.

I made the mistake of Googling it and the first thing I read was how it didn't help for sleep :|

Really need to remain positive about this.

Oh it works, but it still took me a couple hours to fall asleep after taking it sometimes. (that's much better than how I am off it)

Getting the dosage right is important, too.

Lunacie
09-29-15, 10:47 AM
I started with only 50 mg of Trazadone, and never had to increase it. After
about 6 months I was able to stop taking it. Now I just take for 2 or 3 days
every other month if I find I'm having trouble sleeping again.

I also take sertraline for the anxiety. It's amazing what a difference that makes.
I don't get so wound up during the day, and that surely helps me sleep at night.

Powderbucket
09-29-15, 11:14 AM
Oh it works, but it still took me a couple hours to fall asleep after taking it sometimes. (that's much better than how I am off it)

Getting the dosage right is important, too.

Well, the problem is the amount of hours it takes to fall asleep... not the feeling tired bit. So I'm really hoping ti reduces the hours needed to fall asleep.

Tonight is my first 50mg dose and I'm excited.... So here's hoping.

Powderbucket
09-29-15, 11:22 AM
I started with only 50 mg of Trazadone, and never had to increase it. After
about 6 months I was able to stop taking it. Now I just take for 2 or 3 days
every other month if I find I'm having trouble sleeping again.

I also take sertraline for the anxiety. It's amazing what a difference that makes.
I don't get so wound up during the day, and that surely helps me sleep at night.

Thanks Lunacie. I am hoping that this is temporary.

Ultimately, my goal is to take it for as long as it is needed and one day go back to my normal ways.

So I take it that it's not bad to take an anti-depressant with a stimulant like this?

BellaVita
09-29-15, 11:26 AM
Well, the problem is the amount of hours it takes to fall asleep... not the feeling tired bit. So I'm really hoping ti reduces the hours needed to fall asleep.

Tonight is my first 50mg dose and I'm excited.... So here's hoping.

Awesome :)

My suggestion: take it with a glass of water. It always seemed to work better for me when I did that instead of just two sips of water.

Also - set an alarm for the morning in case you being sleep-medicated makes you sleep heavily.

Lunacie
09-29-15, 12:56 PM
Thanks Lunacie. I am hoping that this is temporary.

Ultimately, my goal is to take it for as long as it is needed and one day go back to my normal ways.

So I take it that it's not bad to take an anti-depressant with a stimulant like this?

Trazadone is actually an antidepressant, but they found that it works better
as a sleep aid than an antidepressant. ;)

The psychiatrist prescribed both these meds for me and said they are safe
to take together. I take the Traz at bedtime and the Sertraline in the a.m.
I find it works best to take it about half an hour before I lay down.

Apparently my sleep sched gets wonky from time to time, but it only takes
a few nights to reset for the next few months. Don't know if it works like
that for every, but I was pleasantly surprised because I know I'll need the
Sertraline and hypertension meds for the rest of my life. I'm good with that.

Powderbucket
09-30-15, 04:56 AM
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

So I took my first 50mg last night at 9pm with the intention of getting into bed at 10pm. It was the strangest experience.

At about 10pm I started to feel slightly different, and my mood suddenly became good. I felt like I REALLY needed to go to bed now - super tired. The only thing that bugged me was that my heart was still THUMPING in my chest and I could hear it. I was kind of annoyed by this, because it's what keeps me awake.

Anyway.

Although the heart beat was keeping me awake, I wasn't annoyed, anxious or upset. I was jokingly thinking how my heart must "relax now" and take a "chill pill". My mouth got dry at some point, which annoys me with Concerta. It took me one hour to fall asleep, as opposed to 3 hours. I woke up feeling groggy, but different, almost like my body was in a state of shock of actually getting some R.E.M. time.

I have been in a wonderful mood the whole morning. My eyes are sore, and I feel like a nap, but I'm thinking it might be because I got sleep, and they're not all that used to it :P Not feeling depressed or anxious is really, really wonderful.

Going to take it earlier tonight.

What a relief! I feel like hugging the pharmacists that developed this thing.

Donny997
09-30-15, 08:44 AM
I'm a stubborn woman :p

It's funny.

I start Concerta, I start excelling at life, then the excelling creates pressure, pressure creates stress, now I need another medication for the new problem.

:confused:

This is so true!! I'm dealing with the same thing. For example, my adderall helps me speak more fluently and converse in a way I've have before - but this has now raised my "conversational bar" and adds more pressure when I converse with people, as if I'm trying to make up for a lifetime of limited conversational ability. This increases stress.

Mmm... but I don't know if adding another med is the solution... stress-management should work.

Oh, you can try melatonin, magnesium, and a warm bath to knock you out... lol.

Lunacie
09-30-15, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

So I took my first 50mg last night at 9pm with the intention of getting into bed at 10pm. It was the strangest experience.

At about 10pm I started to feel slightly different, and my mood suddenly became good. I felt like I REALLY needed to go to bed now - super tired. The only thing that bugged me was that my heart was still THUMPING in my chest and I could hear it. I was kind of annoyed by this, because it's what keeps me awake.

Anyway.

Although the heart beat was keeping me awake, I wasn't annoyed, anxious or upset. I was jokingly thinking how my heart must "relax now" and take a "chill pill". My mouth got dry at some point, which annoys me with Concerta. It took me one hour to fall asleep, as opposed to 3 hours. I woke up feeling groggy, but different, almost like my body was in a state of shock of actually getting some R.E.M. time.

I have been in a wonderful mood the whole morning. My eyes are sore, and I feel like a nap, but I'm thinking it might be because I got sleep, and they're not all that used to it :P Not feeling depressed or anxious is really, really wonderful.

Going to take it earlier tonight.

What a relief! I feel like hugging the pharmacists that developed this thing.

I'm only aware of my heart thumping when I first wake up. When going to
sleep, it's the tinnitus in my ears that bothers me. Having an electric fan
running helps mask that. Don't know if that would help with the thumping.

Powderbucket
09-30-15, 03:18 PM
This is so true!! I'm dealing with the same thing. For example, my adderall helps me speak more fluently and converse in a way I've have before - but this has now raised my "conversational bar" and adds more pressure when I converse with people, as if I'm trying to make up for a lifetime of limited conversational ability. This increases stress.

Mmm... but I don't know if adding another med is the solution... stress-management should work.

Oh, you can try melatonin, magnesium, and a warm bath to knock you out... lol.

Thanks Donny. Even though the Concerta has a role to play in some new "issues", they're not that bad and I'm far more capable to handle them and be positive towards them.

As for the suggestions, I have tried everything (literally) and more that you've mentioned. Unless I move to a beach house by the sea and become a beach bum, I think I'm finding the solution with my psychiatrist and medication.

Powderbucket
09-30-15, 03:21 PM
I'm only aware of my heart thumping when I first wake up. When going to
sleep, it's the tinnitus in my ears that bothers me. Having an electric fan
running helps mask that. Don't know if that would help with the thumping.

It's so funny that you mention the ceiling fan, because my GF and I have had major arguments about it - she hates the heat in summer but I really hate the noise!

I'm incredibly noise sensitive.... The Concerta took that away at first but it returned when the anxiety started. Maybe the new medication will help me grow less sensitive to this again. I'm also hoping that my heart becomes more quiet.

Abi
09-30-15, 03:22 PM
922 OMO

Bedtime :p

Lunacie
09-30-15, 03:23 PM
It's so funny that you mention the ceiling fan, because my GF and I have had major arguments about it - she hates the heat in summer but I really hate the noise!

I'm incredibly noise sensitive.... The Concerta took that away at first but it returned when the anxiety started. Maybe the new medication will help me grow less sensitive to this again. I'm also hoping that my heart becomes more quiet.

My ceiling fan squeaks ... utterly drives me mad!

Seems strange to buy a box fan when there's already a fan in my room,
but the box fan doesn't squeak. :rolleyes:

Abi
09-30-15, 03:25 PM
AC FTW!!!

xx

Powderbucket
09-30-15, 03:30 PM
922 OMO

Bedtime :p

Hush I must study still!

((You know your medication has worn off when.... <_<))

Good night :p

Powderbucket
09-30-15, 03:32 PM
My ceiling fan squeaks ... utterly drives me mad!

Seems strange to buy a box fan when there's already a fan in my room,
but the box fan doesn't squeak. :rolleyes:

Hahaha...

I'm a no-fan kind of person. I'm also a no-bug and no-car kind of noise-person (if you catch my drift). Actually, any unnatural noise is a no-no. I recently started to wear ear plugs and they're nice but I have a feeling that it's not a good idea to get used to them. :eyebrow:

Give me the sound of the wind and/or the sea though and I'm the happiest person.

Lunacie
09-30-15, 04:26 PM
AC FTW!!!

xx

Yes, AD and heater as appropriate, but ...
that blower runs for a few minutes then shuts off for half an hour.
And I hear a noise and I wake up and can't go to sleep until the blower
kicks on again.

Fan, constant soothing noise. Fan FTW!

Lunacie
09-30-15, 04:27 PM
Hahaha...

I'm a no-fan kind of person. I'm also a no-bug and no-car kind of noise-person (if you catch my drift). Actually, any unnatural noise is a no-no. I recently started to wear ear plugs and they're nice but I have a feeling that it's not a good idea to get used to them. :eyebrow:

Give me the sound of the wind and/or the sea though and I'm the happiest person.

You can buy sleep-sound machines or tapes that play the sound of wind or
waves. Didn't work for me.

Little Missy
09-30-15, 05:04 PM
Oh boy, just watch out for the weight gain!:eek:

Donny997
09-30-15, 09:11 PM
Unless I move to a beach house by the sea and become a beach bum, I think I'm finding the solution with my psychiatrist and medication.

Hahaha fair enough. But I'm surprised melatonin hasn't worked. How much do you take? 10 mg of that stuff and it's a fight to stake awake for another hour, even with my being on adderall daily.

I'm not against meds obviously I just know withdrawal from anti-depressants are particularly brutal.

Donny997
09-30-15, 09:16 PM
Unless I move to a beach house by the sea and become a beach bum, I think I'm finding the solution with my psychiatrist and medication.

Hahaha fair enough. But I'm surprised melatonin hasn't worked. How much do you take? 10 mg of that stuff and it's a fight to stake awake for another hour, even with my being on adderall daily.

I'm not against meds obviously I just know withdrawal from anti-depressants are particularly brutal.

Lunacie
09-30-15, 09:29 PM

That seems like a high dose. Drugs.com reports that 5 mg is the usual dose
for difficulty falling asleep.

Donny997
10-01-15, 10:00 AM
That seems like a high dose. Drugs.com reports that 5 mg is the usual dose
for difficulty falling asleep.

Well I take between 3mg and 9mg depending on the night. I saw a 10 mg bottle at the pharmacy so I figured it was okay...

Powderbucket
10-02-15, 06:25 AM
Well I take between 3mg and 9mg depending on the night. I saw a 10 mg bottle at the pharmacy so I figured it was okay...

Biologically, your body will not product more than 1mg of Melatonin from Serotonin. I think that there are 3mg-10mg options available just to make sure your body absorbs at least 1mg. I'm guessing, but I've read about it and my psychiatrist also mentioned this.

Also, Melatonin does not help with a rapid heart rate - it can actually make it worse, depending on certain factors. My problem was night time anxiety, and Melatonin is not used for anxiety.

I agree that it is nice when it works. I used to take it when I first started medication and now it doesn't really help as much.

Powderbucket
10-02-15, 06:26 AM
Yes, AD and heater as appropriate, but ...
that blower runs for a few minutes then shuts off for half an hour.
And I hear a noise and I wake up and can't go to sleep until the blower
kicks on again.

Fan, constant soothing noise. Fan FTW!

Silence FTW :p

The aircon at work has been making me sick.

.... I sound like such a moany person.

Powderbucket
10-02-15, 06:28 AM
Oh boy, just watch out for the weight gain!:eek:

I hope my detection of sarcasm here is accurate.

This stuff is awesome.

Took me 5 minutes to fall asleep last night and I don't have a negative thought in my head.

My flu and throat infection is back with a vengeance though.

:faint:

Little Missy
10-02-15, 07:50 AM
I hope my detection of sarcasm here is accurate.

This stuff is awesome.

Took me 5 minutes to fall asleep last night and I don't have a negative thought in my head.

My flu and throat infection is back with a vengeance though.

:faint:

No sarcasm. Really watch for it. I'm serious. I never fool around about weight gain.

Little Missy
10-02-15, 07:51 AM

Not at all, air cons can cause terrible health problems.

Lunacie
10-02-15, 11:06 AM

If I lived in the country silence might be awesome.

But here in the 'burbs I can hear every dog barking, every car or siren going by
two blocks away on the main drag, and even the semi trucks on the highway
half a mile away when the light changes to green. Oh, and the dogs inside the
house snoring. ;)

I need some kind of 'white noise' to block all those sounds or I simply can't
relax and fall asleep. Yeah, I have sensory issues and I'm a moany person too.

Hope you feel better soon. My daughter has had an upper respiratory virus
for a couple of weeks, just won't go away.

Laserbeak
04-22-16, 08:55 PM
I've taken it with some bad side effects. I think I've posted them here before a long time ago, if you really want to know PM me.