View Full Version : New diagnosis......HELP!!!

hayley1989
09-29-15, 05:59 AM
Hi
I wonder if any of you can help me.

I have two issues I would really like some advice about if anyone could help.

My son (7 years old) has recently been diagnosed with ADHD and he has been taking Methylphenidate 20mg for the past 2 months. When we first got the medication, the paediatrician explained that he would be able to take the capsule íopened upí on a spoonful of yogurt which he appeared to take fine and seemed like the medication was working as it should. We had our review yesterday and now we have been moved onto a consultant paediatrician who informs me that my son now needs to take the medication whole with water. For an hour this morning, after wasting 3 capsules, my son had still not swallowed his medication and got himself in such a state he went to school without it today. Can anyone give me any advice on how to make it easier for my son to swallow his medication as I donít think I could go through what I went through this morning every day. We tried it with milk, with some thick pure orange juice and even tried hiding it in a spoonful of yogurt but nothing seemed to work and it always ended up at the front of his tongue.

The other thing I would like advice on is his diet. At the review yesterday it shows that my son has lost some weight. Since starting the medication his appetite has changed throughout the day (as he now wants little and often) but he still has a decent sized dinner in the evening and has snacks before bedtime. The consultant said to me to feed him all the junk food I can. He said KFC, McDonalds, Pizza and anything with a high calorie content is perfect for him but it doesnít really sit right with me. I donít feel comfortable feeding him junk constantly and I am worried that it is going to have a knock on effect with his mood as I know being filled with rubbish food doesnít make me feel good. I was wondering if anyone had been told to up their childís calorie intake and how you managed it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Hayley 

CanadianDad
09-29-15, 08:19 AM
Hi Hayley,

My son is also 7, and is taking 20mg of Biphentin, which is a slow release Methylphenidate. Every health care professional I've talked to..... Psychologist, Family Doctor and even the pharmacist when we fill the scrip have told us that pulling the capsule apart and sprinkling the granules on a food stuff is fine.... we use apple sauce. You may want to confirm again with either the new Ped or your own family doctor. The only thing to be careful of is that the granules are not crushed when "eaten", so make sure your son is not biting down on them.
Here is the dosage/taking info for Biphentin:
Swallow this medication whole with water or other liquids. Do not crush or chew the capsules. This medication is designed to be released into the body over time. When the contents of the capsule are crushed, the medication is released into the body faster than it should be and may cause serious side effects.
If desired, the capsule may be opened and the contents of the capsule (the medication) may be sprinkled onto apple sauce, ice cream, or yogurt.
As for the weight issue, my son is not gaining any weight, but not loosing too much either. Though I would probably not recommend to anyone to feed their kids pure junk all the time, some would be okay, but what we've done is try and find food that he eats as if it were junk food. We found Strawberries and other fruit work with him :) Our family doctor also recommended PediaSure child supplement drinks.

Hope that helps :) You'll find this place is a great place for info, and I'm sure plenty of people more knowledgeable than me will also reply.

Where the quote came from: http://chealth.canoe.com/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=4653#Dosage

TygerSan
09-29-15, 10:13 AM
Smoothies and milkshakes with extra protein powder might help with the weight-loss issue, if he likes that kind of thing. You can then control what goes into the shakes.