View Full Version : Feingold Diet

ldestefano
09-29-15, 10:15 PM
I have definitely become more diligent with reading labels and omitting junk in the house. I am doing this is conjunction with the medication. Do any of you have your kids on it? Does it help?

sarahsweets
09-30-15, 11:15 AM
Diet, as a long treatment for adhd has a very low success rate but, in rare cases it works. The multi-treatment ( as I like to call it) is the best IMO. Meds, therapy and behavior mods and learning tools, are the best ways to treat adhd.

ldestefano
09-30-15, 08:05 PM
I agree with the medication and therapy 100%. I am thinking maybe diet might help with him being less hyperactive. I am hoping anyway.:)

ccom5100
10-09-15, 05:15 PM
We have been doing the FG diet since ds was 3 1/2. He is now 16. Feingold eliminates petro-chemicals from the diet (artificial colors, artificial flavors and certain preservatives). These have been shown to either cause or exacerbate adhd symptoms in children who are sensitive to them. The diet also eliminates foods high in salicylate content which can have a similar effect. The salicylate foods are reintroduced slowly after about two months to see if the person can handle them, while continuing to eliminate anything with petro-chemicas.

Since there really isn't a test to show what causes adhd symptoms, it is a good idea to try the diet to see if your child really has adhd or is sensitive to those chemicals which cause the same symptoms. Many people who have adhd (in my ds's case) are also helped to a lesser extent by the diet.

We were able to keep him off meds until he began to enter into puberty (around the time he started middle school). He still follows the diet (although as a teenager, he will cheat here and there). We have found staying on the diet keeps him on a very low dose of meds, much lower than other kids his age.