View Full Version : new to dextroamphetamine (and meds)

oceanangel
10-02-15, 08:42 AM
Hi, I'm new to these forums and to adhd medication in general. I was diagnosed when I was 8 but I've gone without treatment until earlier this year (I'm 19). I was given a dose of 20mg a day (2 5mgs a day) at the end of august and i find that sometimes they work fine and I'm able to concentrate but other times, especially lately, they seem to not work as well or not at all. Am I doing something wrong? Is the problem with the dose or do i need to fix something? I'm coming to the end of the second trimester of my first year at uni so is it to do with stress? Will I have to increase my dose during exam times? I'm just not sure at all and its really difficult seeing the psychiatrist at the uni doctors especially during the end of the semester.

Fuzzy12
10-02-15, 09:43 AM
You might need a larger dose or a different schedule to take your meds. I found that the most effective way to dose my meds was to take it every two hours.

Stress doesn't help either I guess. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep. When I didn't sleep enough my meds definitely didn't work that well.

sarahsweets
10-06-15, 04:44 AM
Hi, I'm new to these forums and to adhd medication in general. I was diagnosed when I was 8 but I've gone without treatment until earlier this year (I'm 19). I was given a dose of 20mg a day (2 5mgs a day) at the end of august and i find that sometimes they work fine and I'm able to concentrate but other times, especially lately, they seem to not work as well or not at all. Am I doing something wrong? Is the problem with the dose or do i need to fix something? I'm coming to the end of the second trimester of my first year at uni so is it to do with stress? Will I have to increase my dose during exam times? I'm just not sure at all and its really difficult seeing the psychiatrist at the uni doctors especially during the end of the semester.

You say you were prescribed 20mg but you listed 2 5mg a day. Do you mean you take 10mg a day? Either way, 20 or 10mg is not a high dose. I personally take 60mg total of dex a day. This is on the high end but its been this way for years for me. When you say they worked fine, what did you mean? Were some or most of your symptoms controlled? What is the difference then vs now? And yes, stress can screw with you, but it screws with you more if you are not medicated right. You shouldnt need to increase your dose during certain times if you are medicated well enough, thats not how these meds work. If you can, I suggest you see a private doctor rather than relying solely on the university doctor.