View Full Version : Waking up from mysterious bed shake

BellaVita
10-03-15, 03:10 PM
I am wondering if anyone knows what this is or has experienced it:

I've been experiencing a weird thing that has been waking me up, and it feels like my bed has one violent SHAKE that wakes me up.

It has been happening a few times throughout the night.

Last night it was so frequent that I couldn't fall back asleep.

It's really bothering me and it's kinda scary because it feels like someone is forcefully moving the bed but no one is there. It's usually just one big shake of the bed, is what it feels like. (instead of a repeated shaking motion)

I know there is such thing as a falling sensation, and this isn't that. Like I can actually feel my bed move.

It's super strange.

Luvmybully
10-03-15, 03:14 PM
Ok, that would TOTALLY freak me out!

Abi
10-03-15, 03:30 PM
Poltergeist.

J/K

:grouphug:

Unmanagable
10-03-15, 03:43 PM
Are you dozing off and experiencing a muscular jerk that makes you think it feels like a bed shake, or are you fully awake and aware and feel the sensation of the bed shake?

BellaVita
10-03-15, 03:51 PM
Are you dozing off and experiencing a muscular jerk that makes you think it feels like a bed shake, or are you fully awake and aware and feel the sensation of the bed shake?

It feels like someone is coming in my room and hits the the end of my bed with their fist or something.

It has happened when I'm *almost* asleep and when I'm already dreaming and wakes me out of my sleep.

I wake up confused and scared and makes me think there is someone in the room. So I always have to check.

I have wondered if maybe I'm kicking my feet and not feeling it but only feeling the result of the shaking bed?

I dunno. It definitely feels real.

Unmanagable
10-03-15, 04:05 PM
I used to jerk myself awake a lot, but now it only happens if I fall sleep reclined back. It doesn't happen in my regular sleeping positions anymore. But used to scare me, too. I wondered if I had been dreaming scary stuff and just couldn't remember.

BellaVita
10-03-15, 04:15 PM
I used to jerk myself awake a lot, but now it only happens if I fall sleep reclined back. It doesn't happen in my regular sleeping positions anymore. But used to scare me, too. I wondered if I had been dreaming scary stuff and just couldn't remember.

:grouphug: Awww :(

Yeah, this isn't the only thing I experience, just the newest weird thing.

Other things:
-hearing muffled voices (or a voice that say words) as I drift off (I've read this happens to many people)
-hearing a telephone ringing (this resulted from my massive anxiety that someone would call me while sleeping, I hate phone calls)
-falling sensation
-loud exploding sound
-my legs jump sometimes as I'm falling asleep
-I saw a person shadowy figure with a bag over their head and little craft-supply looking wires attached to the bag. It scared the bleep out of me.

I used to have hynogogic hallucinations as a kid, like twirling colors and purple dots floating and swirling around me. And a main one I used to have was I could close my eyes and still see my room. That happened like every night. I also used to be able to "spin" myself to sleep (in my head and actually felt like I was spinning) and that was my main method of falling asleep from the ages 3-7ish.

I also have SUPER vivid dreams every single night, most often nightmares. It feels like I go to another world.

BUT - I had an amazing dream the other night - first dream I've had like this ever - where I laughed all night long in my dream with someone and I woke up with the feeling a person has after having had multiple long belly laughs. :)

Lol sorry for going into detail about all my sleep issues....really things got bad after quitting Trazodone and Clonazepam...I was on Trazodone for 7ish years and now I know what it would have been like without it....

Unmanagable
10-03-15, 04:30 PM
That loud exploding sound really messed with me a few times. Been a while since I heard it.

I also share similar experiences with vivid dreams, seeing colors, patterns, silhouettes, animal faces, seeing people in my sleep that seem to be in the room, falling hard and fast, etc. Sometimes it's when I'm meditating, other times as I'm drifting off to sleep.

I used to see many of the same colors and swirly patterns when I used to use various illegal substances (lsd and mushrooms). Now I see them very clearly when I'm not even looking.

I also see what appear to be many little sparkly diamonds or crystals floating in the air right in front of me on sunny days. Not every sunny day, but quite a damn few of them. I've only known one other person say she sees those, too. Talk about it with most and they look at me like I have three heads or something.

BellaVita
10-03-15, 04:37 PM
That loud exploding sound really messed with me a few times. Been a while since I heard it.

I also share similar experiences with vivid dreams, seeing colors, patterns, silhouettes, animal faces, seeing people in my sleep that seem to be in the room, falling hard and fast, etc. Sometimes it's when I'm meditating, other times as I'm drifting off to sleep.

I used to see many of the same colors and swirly patterns when I used to use various illegal substances (lsd and mushrooms). Now I see them very clearly when I'm not even looking.

I also see what appear to be many little sparkly diamonds or crystals floating in the air right in front of me on sunny days. Not every sunny day, but quite a damn few of them. I've only known one other person say she sees those, too. Talk about it with most and they look at me like I have three heads or something.

Wow!!!

Thanks for sharing those things, this kind of stuff is always so interesting to me.

Those crystals sound pretty.

TygerSan
10-07-15, 08:58 AM
Sounds kind of like hypnogogia still (perhaps a bit more vivid than most). When I was really, really anxious (and my anxiety was almost always due to being afraid that I couldn't sleep) I used to see things out of the corner of my eye and feel like there was someone there.

I've also on rare occasions been drifting off to sleep and had what felt like a myoclonic jerk (those muscle twitches/falling sensations) *in my head*. Felt like an explosion without the loud sound. So disconcerting.

I've also experienced the falling sensation/hypnic jerk as more of a movement of the bed than a falling sensation, so I'm not sure I'd discount that explanation completely.

BellaVita
12-05-15, 08:09 PM
Something happened to me this morning, I've never had this happen before.

This is what I wrote down soon after it happened:
I was asleep dreaming, and then I felt the sensation of a hand placed on top of my hand, and then my head started shaking it shook back and forth like four times while I heard [dvdnvwls] whisper (and still felt his hand on mine) (after each head shake) "it's okay" "it's okay" "it's okay" and I also felt his presence in the room.

So I FELT his hand on top of mine, HEARD his whisper, and sensed his presence.

Never had all of those things.

And weirdly enough, him placing his hand on top of mine startled me (that's why my head started shaking I think - I felt my head shaking which is weird) and WOKE me out of my dream. But then I guess him doing that was a dream?

It wasn't until I opened my eyes did I realize he wasn't there.

I wonder why these things are happening so much, this thing that happened today has never happened before. And it felt 100% real.

Fuzzy12
12-06-15, 03:13 AM
Maybe sleep paralysis? I usually get some sort of hallucinations with it.

Rockafella83
01-09-16, 01:45 PM
Could be Hypnic Jerk. I've had those before and it's really disturbing..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Meteodan
01-17-16, 06:56 PM
Something happened to me this morning, I've never had this happen before.

This is what I wrote down soon after it happened:
I was asleep dreaming, and then I felt the sensation of a hand placed on top of my hand, and then my head started shaking it shook back and forth like four times while I heard [dvdnvwls] whisper (and still felt his hand on mine) (after each head shake) "it's okay" "it's okay" "it's okay" and I also felt his presence in the room.

So I FELT his hand on top of mine, HEARD his whisper, and sensed his presence.

Never had all of those things.

And weirdly enough, him placing his hand on top of mine startled me (that's why my head started shaking I think - I felt my head shaking which is weird) and WOKE me out of my dream. But then I guess him doing that was a dream?

It wasn't until I opened my eyes did I realize he wasn't there.

I wonder why these things are happening so much, this thing that happened today has never happened before. And it felt 100% real.

This sounds a lot like sleep paralysis/hypnagogic hallucinations. I experienced both as a teenager something like every other night. They've declined in frequency as I've gotten older, but I still have at least one episode that I remember at least once a week. Many of mine take a form similar to yours, where I feel my wife touching or holding my hand or patting my head. Sometimes I even hear her speaking to me, occasionally her saying that I need to "wake up" or "it will be ok" or something similar. When I finally do jerk fully awake, more often than not she's sound asleep (or my jerking awake and sometimes shouting wakes *her* up! :) ). Other times I feel, hear, or see presences in my room: often sinister, but sometimes just neutral or playful. I've grown used to them, and they usually don't frighten or surprise me anymore. Usually.

Pixelatedmind
01-17-16, 09:29 PM
Some interesting things right there... Thank you for scaring me..

The exploding sound, and someone suddenly shouting or a loud mumble voice, what could that be? I have only experienced these three recently and it was kinda scary... But that's only E.T to your paranormal activity :D

Sleep paralysis and falling sensation were something I experienced alot before but not recently.

Fortune
01-17-16, 10:24 PM
Exploding sounds - Exploding head syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome)

Bed shaking - I think this is commonly said to be related to hypnagogic events and sleep paralysis. I used to experience bed shaking all the time, when I was a child, and specifically in one particular house I grew up in, but not other houses I stayed in. To be honest, the hypnagogic and sleep paralysis explanations are not really helpful to me, so I don't know what to suggest.