View Full Version : Teacher asked if son has seizures...

MamaD
10-03-15, 03:33 PM
My 10-year old son is at a new school this year. His math teacher called me with a concern this morning. He was staring off into space, something she is very familiar with after ten years of teaching, but he did not respond when she stood in front of him, tapped his desk, and called his name three times. He snapped out of it, and seemed to have no idea what was going on. She was concerned that he may be having a small seizure. He was on his medication (Adderall XR 20mg), btw.

I think it's part of the inattentive ADHD, but of course it's possible it could be another issue.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has a child who spaces out to that degree?

Lunacie
10-03-15, 03:51 PM
I would ask his other teachers if they have noticed this as well before getting
spooked and running to the doctor. Although it does sound quite a bit like an
absence seizure. My sister has those.

sarahsweets
10-04-15, 07:26 AM
Yes, I have even myself spaced out that much. I would be hesitant to jump to the idea that its seizure related and I am not sure I would consider his teacher an expert.

amberwillow
10-04-15, 08:05 AM
I have spaced out that much on occasion, but also at school I had a classmate who had absence seizures. I'd be interested to know how they'd pick the difference without looking at brain activity.

Little Missy
10-04-15, 08:40 AM
I spaced out like that waaaaaay back then and I still do it now. :)

MamaD
10-05-15, 09:27 PM
Thanks for your comments. I took him to his new doc today (which was already scheduled), and she ruled out seizures. She asked him if he can remember what he was daydreaming about and he said yes. I guess if it was a seizure he wouldn't remember anything. That's some pretty impressive daydreaming, when your teacher thinks it's a seizure!

Lunacie
10-05-15, 10:00 PM
Found a link that explains the differences between daydreaming and having an
absence seizure ... scroll to bottom of link for those signs.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/absence-seizures