View Full Version : is Concerta working fine for just 3 days ?

ahabib
10-04-15, 05:42 PM
Hi All, I'm 32 and recently I had been diagnosed as Adult ADD, this is the first time to know that I'm ADD when I decided to visit a psychiatrist to help me overcoming the lack of attention and social anxiety I was suffering.

Doctor prescribed me a Concerta as a treatment, the prescribed dose is 18 mg for 7 days then 36 mg for 2 weeks till next visit.

Today is the 8th day and here is my experience with concerta till now:

for the first 3 days it was really cool it made me feel stable able to concentrate no more social anxiety I can start tasks I can organize things I can talk to others attention and focus had been enhanced by 60% not to the maximum

I was happy as no side effects appeared to me I slept normally at night no loss of appetite.

unfortunately at the 4th day with the same dose of 18 mg I felt nervous, high heart beats, short breathing and can't concentrate continuously after taking Med. I took it for the 5th, 6th and 7th day and the same situation happened

today was the 8th I started 36 mg and still facing the same may be anxiety getting less but minor improvement (less than 10%) with no concentration.

anyone can identify if this normal of not or if there is anybody who faced the same effects can help me?

dvdnvwls
10-04-15, 06:03 PM
Maybe 18 mg is already too much for you.

Maybe you drank coffee or tea, or other caffeine? Caffeine can cause problems for some people if taken on the same day as Concerta or other ADHD medications.

Maybe you slept badly, or didn't drink enough water? You need more water throughout your day, because Concerta causes some dehydration.

sarahsweets
10-05-15, 03:00 AM
I know for me, the methylphenidate class of drugs worked great but then the mood issues became too much to bear.

Asatekin
01-02-16, 03:48 PM
I have same problem too. But if u take a break for one or two day it's working again I search a lot of articles some of them saying we should take breaks for ritalin and conserta. And cooffe kafein can cause that too it's effecting too.

James33
05-16-16, 01:46 PM
Same here; concerta works for 3-4 days in a row and then starts giving exactly those effects you describe (also get cold hands, high heart rate but otherwise unfocused and tired). It seems an epigenetic response leading to the development of acute tolerance some of us have on the drug. As I initially experience a long duration of effect on a single dose (lasting over 24h) it may be that the medication stays active sufficiently long that the body developes acute tolerance. This could work in the same vein as drinking alcohol for two days in a row during a festival which can lead to a situation in which you sober up while having high blood alcohol levels. Perhaps by creating more space between the dosings (ie taking instant release) can prevent tolerance from developing.

My strategy is usually; 3-4 days on, 10 days off but I haven't yet found the 'sweet spot' in this so all suggestions are most welcome!