View Full Version : Your views please (The ADHD Scam: Turning "Boredom" Into a Disorder)

lbolams
10-05-15, 03:56 PM
What do you all think of this? Is it a crop of ****? Or actually have valid points? Whats the verdict, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8TMxUQ_LE

Pilgrim
10-05-15, 05:48 PM
Probably 90% of what's on the internet is pure rubbishy here's another perfect example.

Kunga Dorji
10-05-15, 07:16 PM
The comment that "technically we all have ADHD" is actually rubbish.
Yes, it is true that highly intelligent children will be bored, and they will see through the rubbish they are being taught, and - we learn to habitually disattend, to tune out and to daydream. However that is not ADHD.
The speaker makes a great deal of the label "stimulants" for agents like methylphenidate and dexamphetamine.
This label is actually quite arbritrary and in no way encapsulates the range of effects of these drugs. The author also ignores the important noradrenergic effects of these medications and gets entangled entirely in the dopamine effects.

Really he is railing against a series of his own misconceptions.

It is certainly clear that he has little understanding of the reality of ADHD as it presents as a problem in our lives.

The piece is correct only in its criticism of the school environment. That criticism is far better discussed in John Taylor Gatto's book "The Underground History of American Education".

Adenosine
10-05-15, 09:50 PM
Ok, so, being part of a given group doesn't make your opinion automatically right, and it's important to remember that. With that said, have any of the people who think they're doing us a favor by arguing against the existence of ADHD and demonizing stimulants actually talked to any of us for five seconds?

SB_UK
10-05-15, 11:02 PM
With ignorance comes certainty.
The extremist seems so sure.

The piece is correct only in its criticism of the school environment. That criticism is far better discussed in John Taylor Gatto's book "The Underground History of American Education".

The educational system - or even more so - the entire culture of 'the free world'.

We've covered 'Gish Gallop' - it's impossible to collapse an individual in a full on 'Gallop' - and is akin to asking somebody how to get somewhere, and the individual describing how to get elsewhere.

Certain countries pride themselves on allowing free speech.

But what if all that means is that people feel empowered to talk nonsense.

? To be free ? is to vote in rigged elections whilst people (all round) talk nonsense.

Isn't American TV only concerned with ratings, with this translating into Youtube as number of views ?
People deriving some sense of selfish satisfaction from boasting about the number of views they've received.
The easiest way to do that - is simply to offer a controversial, sensationalist opinion.
Crime series with ever escalating takes on murder and mutilation.
We observe this in the tabloid press - a sensationalist view to attract readership and sell copy.

Welcome to our world.

In order to have a view it need be defended - with the individual him/herself serving as both defence and prosecution.

Not in the sense of 'legal system' where defence and prosecution play with words and events to win - since with reference to the mind - the indivdual (now as Judge) - has all defence/prosecution available - has the defence and prosecution cases down and can see the weights attributed to the ideas on each side.

So - defence might suppress an idea to win - prosecution might suppress another idea to win - but Judge will see the existence of these 2 ideas - and will explore those.

The object isn't to win - it's to offer the correct position.

That corrective sentences must come from the individual's own vocabulary.

Is ADHD boredom ?
Incapacity to attend to nonsense will manifest itself as boredom - in the face of nonsense - which is, for the most part, what we are forced to endure during our daily life.

An example of the nonsense we endure - from nationali$t amateur (s/he's going 'pro') sporting event to profes$$ional sporting events, where people watch and do not take part.

We will not be hungry after having eaten or when very sick - it wouldn't be fair to suggest that people who have just eaten are sick.

[not to be confused with the idea that consumerism and consuming are connected :-)]

(PS just working out what's in the video from comments above - can't stop the music)

Fuzzy12
10-05-15, 11:12 PM
Love this: with ignorance comes certainty!!

sarahsweets
10-06-15, 04:11 AM
I watched about a minute before I realized I was contributing to the amount of views it had.

Abi
10-06-15, 04:19 AM
:lol:

stef
10-06-15, 04:43 AM
I watched about a minute before I realized I was contributing to the amount of views it had.

I can't watch videos here from work. Now I won't watch it, ever! Ugh.

Fuzzy12
10-06-15, 05:40 AM
Crop of **** :)

Little Missy
10-06-15, 07:39 AM
Bourgeois!

TygerSan
10-06-15, 10:02 AM
Won't watch. I will say however that anybody who conflates ADHD with boredom, clearly has no concept of the disorder. We have problems with allocation of attentional resources and problems with response inhibition, the results of which are only sometimes boring and often quite exciting.

mildadhd
10-07-15, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

P

Pura Vida
10-09-15, 08:35 PM
I wont watch this because I am slightly offended by the fact that some people seem to think they know more about this stuff then people who have it or doctors that study it. I hate when people ask me if it is really necessary that I take meds. Like, do you think I would be spending sixty dollars a month and dealing with side affects if it wasn't??

Also, all they would need to do is see me off my meds, and they will quickly realize that ADHD is a thing :p

RobboW
10-11-15, 06:09 PM
We all know it's real. I tire of the debate. Let a "normal" person walk in ADHD shoes for a week and it would be clear.

But that in no way excuses us being complacent and blaming everything on ADHD. Get out there and live life people!

The more I keep my life "normal", the more successful I am. If I stop and wallow in ADHD it has a much more profound negative effect on my life.

meadd823
10-11-15, 07:26 PM
I have ADHD but am rarely board I always have more to do than I can realistically do in a life time never mind a week end. Any one who equates ADD with boredom is ignorant . Making this video about such concepts simply leads to the notion that this person is also an idiot but is to stupid to know better than to demonstrate his ignorance to an entire video watching audience who obviously must be board but ,who may or may not also be ADD :D

Adenosine
02-04-16, 08:01 AM
Sorry for the necro, but I though this was worth bringing up.

In contrast to what the video implies, Jacob Barnett does truly have autism. He considers it the cause of his fascination and skill with numbers, which fits with an occasional effect known as savantism.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jake-math-prodigy-proud-of-his-autism/

Fuzzy12
02-04-16, 08:40 AM
What rubbish. It would he funny if so many people didn't believe this crap. :rolleyes:

Pixelatedmind
02-04-16, 08:49 AM
What do you all think of this? Is it a crop of ****? Or actually have valid points? Whats the verdict, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8TMxUQ_LE

This is utter rubbish and the amount of ignorance and misconception is high enough to offend anyone suffering in their life.

No one gets diagnosed with ADHD because they are "bored", while we are, it's a different type of chronic boredom and that's just one side of the disorder.

Impulse control, emotional dysregulation, impaired executive functioning..etc
There's a group of impairing symptoms that comes with ADHD, and some more that are caused merely by living with ADHD.

It's a disorder and just having it in today's society earns you even more disorders and despair.

There are scientific and statistical evidence and awareness of ADHD today, it's not a philosophical question for bright minds like the maker of this video. Let's get over it.

I feel stupid checking 2 seconds of such a video and arguing against such a claim, but I'm just bored and got nothing better to do ;)

Hathor
02-04-16, 10:30 AM
Does anyone look at vids like this when they are under-stimulated for the sole reason of annoying yourself into a jump start?

Lately I have been pretty good staying up to speed without having to degrade myself in THAT way, but sometimes I have to do what I have to do :)

Sorry for the necro, but I though this was worth bringing up.

No prob, I like Necro

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1358840786_114138024.jpg