View Full Version : Can I have advice please? Just started Concerta.

klound
10-06-15, 08:54 AM
I just started on Concerta 18mg 4 days ago. I've never taken stimulant medication before so I don't know if my experience is normal or what it means. Please can someone advise me.

I take it when I wake up (at about 8am), but I feel it's not really effective until mid afternoon, when I gain focus and the ability to get things done and that lasts until the evening. The mornings and early afternoon are fairly useless though and I get nothing done and my focus is poor. At all times I am definitely calmer which is the main benefit to have happened. I feel like the effects were the best on the first day I took it but are getting less every day. Is all of this normal? Does it sound like the dose is too low?

I haven't had many side effects but my heart rate is a little faster than usual, I feel a bit more tired and I don't have much appetite now.

JunkieHunter
10-07-15, 10:48 PM
Typically with any stimulant medication you'll start to develop a tolerance. 18 mg of Concerta is a very low dose. Depending on your size and weight it may just be that 18 mg isn't enough. It's important to note that Concerta is the extended release formula of Ritalin. Extended releases are loved by some and hated by others. XR's as their known are meant to last anywhere between 8 to 12 hours but can vary person to person. They're purported to be more effective than IR's otherwise known as immediate release formulas but this also varies person to person.

Without knowing much about your physical person my guess would be that your doctor has you on a trial run of Concerta. This is typical with most stimulant medications as it's important to find the most suitable medication formula and equivelant dose for you. I would relate your experiences and any side effects to whichever prescribing physician has given you your medication and see if they're willing to titrate you up to 36 mgs once a day.

Your ultimate goal is to achieve full symptom relief from your adhd and Concerta may or may not be the best option. However please consider that Concerta can reach a maximum of 72 mg once a day. Possibly more depending on your doctor and where you live but I rarely see it go above 72.

Talk to your prescribing physician about what you're experiencing and ask them what they reccomend, or are willing to do. Don't be afraid to ask if they will titrate you up to a higher dose, and exhaust the most use of one medication before giving up on it and trying a new one.

Good luck!

klound
10-08-15, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm 5'6" and slim, but I've heard that size doesn't really dictate dose. I'm now on day 6 and the side effects have practically gone but so have the benefits. I'm meant to be waiting another 3 weeks for my follow up appointment but I'm going to try and get one sooner as this just feels like a waste of my time!