View Full Version : Methylphenidate ER & 8 Yr. Old

mntony0171
10-06-15, 11:13 PM
My 8 Yr. Old son has been on 20 Mg. Methylphenidate ER since August 2015. When he gets home from school he complains of being tired daily and his loses his temper to the point he is almost out of control every other day. He also is having a problem with keeping weight on. We will be talking to his Peds Dr. tomorrow and will ask that we take him off and find a substitute but not sure if we should look at Metadate or Concerta?

TangledWebs
10-07-15, 12:08 AM
The tiredness and irritability could be attributed to the Methylphenidate ER leaving his system. I know some psychiatrists prescribe quick-acting stimulants to be taken after school. Also, most stimulants are going to cause appetite suppression.

Isn't methylphenidate the ingredient in both Metadate and Concerta? He could respond better to Adderall or Vyvanse, which don't contain methylphenidate. Adderall contains amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Vyvanse contains lisdexamfetamine. You should talk to his doctor about the differences.

sarahsweets
10-07-15, 04:37 AM
Have you considered sticking with the ritalin but moving to instant release? Both metadate and concerta are a long acting form and maybe your son doesnt do well with long acting drugs. As far as weight goes, I used to make my son protein milkshakes. I would use icecream and milk with chocolate protein powder and sauce and he thought he was living like a king.

CanadianDad
10-07-15, 12:35 PM
I think most parents see weight lose on this med. We've definately see weight "stabalization" with it, but it's not gotten to the point of being worrysome quite yet. As for other side-effects, they are really all over the board depending on how your guy reacts. We have the, "can't get to sleep" and Anxiety side effects with our 7 yr old.

One of the first things I learned here and from our Psychologist when our guy was diagnosed is that no two ADHD kids are the same, or react the same to any given med. Really seems to be a try-and-see-and-change thing to see what works best.

Best of luck.

dvdnvwls
10-07-15, 01:40 PM
Really seems to be a try-and-see-and-change thing to see what works best.
Absolutely true. And it's like that for adults as well. It's not about the variability of kids - it's about the variability of every individual of any age.