View Full Version : ocd-like behavior induced from amphetamine use?

baical
10-07-15, 04:16 AM
I have some OCD, used to be severe.

I would think it's a co-morbid of ADHD as well but why are there info.

I read somewhere that sometimes amphetamines can induce OCD-like behavior? Is this only if abused or it all varies from different factors?

I do feel a bit OCD when on Vyvanse but I think it's "productive OCD" meaning I still get things done rather than not (but obsessed/focused, a bit compulsive), compared to when not on amphetamine I'm just OCD where I would stand by the door checking/thinking about if the door is locked or not, etc. for half an hour sometimes more.

I know OCD is linked to anxiety, etc. and what triggers this type of OCD is when I am thinking about something that happened at work or in public that may be playing "games" in my head.

Maybe it's the ADHD in me that made me get distracted in to thinking such unimportant events (but somehow became important once it keeps repeating in my head i.e. the obsession). Perhaps, if my mind is "bulletproof" then I won't even have to let unimportant things get to me and get to what's important instead.

I shall find out if Dexedrine fixes this problem once I get my prescription filled up.

namazu
10-07-15, 10:37 AM
ADHD and OCD can be comorbid on their own, without any "help" from stimulants.

Stimulants can induce anxiety (in general) and OCD or OCD-like symptoms as well. This is more common at high doses, but can also occur at lower doses in some individuals (including those, like you, who have a history of OCD).

You may need to treat the OCD separately, with therapy and/or meds, and be cautious about dose with the stimulants, if they seem to trigger your OCD.

dvdnvwls
10-07-15, 12:32 PM
There is no guarantee of exactly how your body will react. Amphetamine, it seems to me, can intensify everything that's going on. But that means, as you already pointed out, that while it may intensify obsessions, it may also intensify productive behaviours and create a net benefit. Or... it may not.

If your amphetamine dosage is too high, it is very likely to make everything worse. It's better to start with a dose that the doctor thinks is likely too low to do any good, and increase slowly from there.

karbouris
10-13-15, 12:10 PM
In my opinion Switching to dexidrene is not going to help your OCD. I'm OCD and ADHD and mildly bipolar. I was on Vyvanse and dexidrene for about 3 months. My OCD was off the charts. I'd highly recommend adding some shape or form of antidepressant and the amphetamine if you can handle it. It made me severely irritable so I wound up on Ritalin Tegratol and celexa.

karbouris
10-13-15, 12:10 PM
There is no guarantee of exactly how your body will react. Amphetamine, it seems to me, can intensify everything that's going on. But that means, as you already pointed out, that while it may intensify obsessions, it may also intensify productive behaviours and create a net benefit. Or... it may not.

If your amphetamine dosage is too high, it is very likely to make everything worse. It's better to start with a dose that the doctor thinks is likely too low to do any good, and increase slowly from there.

Yes yes yes.

baical
10-14-15, 03:28 AM
I think it's the bipolar in you. I think amphetamines are contraindicated for bi polars. I would think for me Dexedrine may work as an antidepressant. I shall wait and find out. I have experience with SSRIs like Zoloft but I do not think I respond well to serotonergics (I have tried herbals like St. John's Wort and 5-htp) and I was more irritated. Dopaminergics and Norepinephrinergics like amphetamines seem to be better for me.

Ritalin for bi polars? I hope your doc is not serious. That's next thing to cocaine! For OCD, do your self a favor and look into gabaergics. Start with herbals like Rosemary. Try it and see for your self. Try finding its oil versions like rosmarinic acid. Or try aromatherapy using rosemary essential oils. Look into Kava Kava as well. Look into those then let me know what you think. Do not take all with your other drugs, try separating them an hour or two apart, or try them by itself to see if you can feel it and to avoid any possible interaction with your other meds.

In my opinion Switching to dexidrene is not going to help your OCD. I'm OCD and ADHD and mildly bipolar. I was on Vyvanse and dexidrene for about 3 months. My OCD was off the charts. I'd highly recommend adding some shape or form of antidepressant and the amphetamine if you can handle it. It made me severely irritable so I wound up on Ritalin Tegratol and celexa.

sarahsweets
10-14-15, 03:43 AM
I think it's the bipolar in you. I think amphetamines are contraindicated for bi polars. I would think for me Dexedrine may work as an antidepressant. I shall wait and find out. I have experience with SSRIs like Zoloft but I do not think I respond well to serotonergics (I have tried herbals like St. John's Wort and 5-htp) and I was more irritated. Dopaminergics and Norepinephrinergics like amphetamines seem to be better for me.

Ritalin for bi polars? I hope your doc is not serious. That's next thing to cocaine! For OCD, do your self a favor and look into gabaergics. Start with herbals like Rosemary. Try it and see for your self. Try finding its oil versions like rosmarinic acid. Or try aromatherapy using rosemary essential oils. Look into Kava Kava as well. Look into those then let me know what you think. Do not take all with your other drugs, try separating them an hour or two apart, or try them by itself to see if you can feel it and to avoid any possible interaction with your other meds.

I am bipolar and have been on amphetamines for 10 years.

baical
10-15-15, 03:51 AM
maybe you're really not bi polar, just a misdiagnosis/co-morbid of ADHD? My original diagnosis at 19 was psychotic disorder. My diagnosis this year is ADHD/social phobia. What does that tell you about whoever is diagnosing these things? I wasn't hearing any voices at all. The diagnosing "doctor" had just diagnosed my older brother with paranoid schizophrenia, so to make her job easy I was diagnosed with something "lighter" than what my older brother had been diagnosed with. Crazy world. I hadn't been on meds for "psychotic disorder" since in my early 20's, I had experimented with various herbals. I'm in my early 30's now. I think my new diagnosis is acceptable to me and not as confusing as "psychotic disorder". I do lack the focus, need more energy so this is where amphetamines come in. I do have some social phobia because society generally suck.

When I think of bi polar it's really just a mood swing of highs and lows (manic/depressive). I think everyone has these types of days, some days are good, some days are bad, but I really think "bi polar" is nothing more than a marketing strategy to have new drugs specifically for it just like with every other mental illness. I'm not sure "bi polar" even existed in the 90's, correct me if I'm wrong? I think it was called something else? I still think the bi polar women I have dated/mated with all have a personality disorder, not bi polar. Personality disorders are something completely different than a mental disorder. I think people have to be born with it rather than "acquiring" a mental breakdown due to stresses in life.

I am bipolar and have been on amphetamines for 10 years.

Little Missy
10-15-15, 06:10 AM
Popcorn, please!

peripatetic
10-15-15, 03:43 PM
your comments are problematic. you might "think" a lot of things, but you are not a doctor and you have no business diagnosing people here.

you seem to be extrapolating from your own experiences and beliefs and that results in you saying things that are inaccurate when widely applied or applied to others and, frankly, offensive.

i'm glad your current diagnosis is "acceptable to you" and so forth, but you are simply not qualified to tell people that their diagnoses aren't what medical doctors with access to their charts and histories have given them.

this thread isn't about your ex girlfriends and your conclusions about their diagnoses, either.

maybe sarah's not "really bipolar"... but i doubt it. *definitely* you don't really know what you're talking about. it'd be awesome if you stopped arm chair diagnosing people (or dismissing people's longstanding diagnoses) online. at least learn more about what bipolar is...and what a psychotic disorder is...before you run around dismissing people having them or reducing someone's legitimate diagnosis to "ups and downs" and "hearing voices"... i find it offensive that (from what you've written in the post i quoted) you appear to have no idea what you're talking about and yet you're talking about it in such a callous and dismissive manner.

maybe you're really not bi polar, just a misdiagnosis/co-morbid of ADHD? My original diagnosis at 19 was psychotic disorder. My diagnosis this year is ADHD/social phobia. What does that tell you about whoever is diagnosing these things? I wasn't hearing any voices at all. The diagnosing "doctor" had just diagnosed my older brother with paranoid schizophrenia, so to make her job easy I was diagnosed with something "lighter" than what my older brother had been diagnosed with. Crazy world. I hadn't been on meds for "psychotic disorder" since in my early 20's, I had experimented with various herbals. I'm in my early 30's now. I think my new diagnosis is acceptable to me and not as confusing as "psychotic disorder". I do lack the focus, need more energy so this is where amphetamines come in. I do have some social phobia because society generally suck.

When I think of bi polar it's really just a mood swing of highs and lows (manic/depressive). I think everyone has these types of days, some days are good, some days are bad, but I really think "bi polar" is nothing more than a marketing strategy to have new drugs specifically for it just like with every other mental illness. I'm not sure "bi polar" even existed in the 90's, correct me if I'm wrong? I think it was called something else? I still think the bi polar women I have dated/mated with all have a personality disorder, not bi polar. Personality disorders are something completely different than a mental disorder. I think people have to be born with it rather than "acquiring" a mental breakdown due to stresses in life.