View Full Version : My son is failing all 9th grade subjects

harley79
10-09-15, 11:28 PM
I need help my son has just started 9th grade and I just saw his progress report and he is failing all classes. My son has Adhd and Dyslexia he is always pleasant and has no behavioral issues. The school thinks he's in over his head in middle school he was in small classes of about 7 kids per class. He isn't doing his homeworkone of his teachers believes he isn't doing it cause he struggles with the work. He isn't on medication. I just don't know what to do when he was in the smaller class in middle school he felt stupid but now in high school he's in bigger classes and can't keep up. He is on an IEP and I am setting up a team meeting. ANY suggestions ??? Also he said he doesn't like to do homework cause he just wants to unwind after a long day at school he'd rather kivk back and play on the computer to unwind ..

Frustrated Tammy

dvdnvwls
10-10-15, 01:28 AM
I'll start with the obvious question - why no medication?

sarahsweets
10-10-15, 06:39 AM
I second that about medication. Its one of the most effective ways to treat adhd. What are his other accomodations listed in the IEP. Was he classified in special ed last year and now moved main stream into regular ed? If so, why? You have to make sure you are completely aware of every single thing he is supposed to be receiving as help from his IEP and then you have to make sure that every teacher read his IEP and is complying with it. Not all teachers read an IEP thoroughly. Part of the reason is because a lot of times they have a lot of students with IEP's and 504's and sometimes they gloss over the finer details and miss some really helpful stuff. One of the things that are in my daughters' is that anytime she fails a test or homework assignment, they are to email me. I talk it over with her, and then we figure out if its a comprehension issue or a forgetful/distraction issue. Many times, she is allowed extra time for assignments, tests,quizzes and projects. Sometimes I have had to remind teachers of this, and once they realize I know what she is entitled to, they have no problems working with her. It is not in the best interest of teachers to have kids in their class that fail, but sometimes there are parents who are just clueless until its too late to recover for the semester. Try and call each teacher he has.
Do not rely on email only. You have to be a hound with them sometime. Request a conference and ask them what your son can do to bring his grade up. Many teachers will give extra credit work to help a failing kid.
You say you asked for a team meeting? Dont let the ball drop with that either. Hound the special services dept of your school and tell whomever that its an emergency and you need one asap.

Remember, not all school districts are acting in the best interest of every child. They still have budgets to live within and many times are overloaded with students like your son.