View Full Version : TRAZODONE for sleep

adhdseeker
10-14-15, 05:55 AM
Hey, I was prescribed Trazodone to help me sleep. It WORKS but... I'm pretty sure it is the cause of some unpleasant abdominal cramps/pain. It's been this way for 3 days, in correlation with the three nights I've taken it. I don't think I will take it tonight because I can't stand this side effect. Has anyone else experienced this and is it possible that this side effect might go away in time? I will talk to my doctor of course, but just curious if other people have any experience/answers. Thanks.

aeon
10-14-15, 06:24 AM
How many milligrams are you taking?

adhdseeker
10-15-15, 02:41 AM
How many milligrams are you taking?
50mgs! I spoke to a pharmacist today -- he said it's possible that the symptoms might go away and to start by taking an even smaller dose until my body adjusts. I guess it's very rare to have this symptom.

TangledWebs
10-15-15, 06:06 AM
Oh, I loved Trazodone for sleep! No, I never experienced any cramping. I noticed that there is a ten- to -fifteen-minute window of opportunity in which you can fall asleep though -- if you miss this window, then attempting to fall asleep is near impossible.

I was going to ask my psychiatrist for Trazodone, but I also asked her to increase my Adderall XR, so I figured she would blame the stimulants for keeping me up at night and be totally against bumping my dose up. I haven't taken Adderall XR for the last three days and I haven't been able to sleep at night. Ugh, stimulants get such a bad rap. /end rant

aeon
10-15-15, 11:05 PM
I’ve only taken trazodone a couple of times so far (Rx’d PRN) and for the first time I took a 50mg.

Um, wow. It didn’t feel unnatural, but I knew I. Was. Going. Down.

Slept 8 hours, woke up with some “hangover” effect...groggy.

Next time I tried it, I cut the pill in half (Doc approved) and took 25mg.

Much better. Woke feeling refreshed.

The only side effect I can tell is my dreams seem quite vivid (I am OK with this).

cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
10-15-15, 11:11 PM
Lol, 50mg pfffft.

Try eating before you take it, and take it with a full glass of water. See if that helps.

I was on Trazodone for years. The only thing that helped me sleep.

But yeah, that sleep window is freal. Like, it lasts 15-20 minutes. Don't miss it.

silivrentoliel
10-16-15, 02:08 AM
I used to take it, and I use it when I have to flip my sleep schedule (day shift to night shift in a rather short amount of time).... The groggy feeling is awful, but I agree with drinking more than you would to just take a pill- a glass is a good idea- or a little food.

If you have insomnia, I doubt an upped dose of stimulants would make it any worse. I have the pleasure of being both an insomniac, and overly tired when I am awake. Just can't sleep. Such fun.

adhdseeker
10-30-15, 01:40 PM
Okay, so...... the stomach issue went away, so it must have been caused by something else? Anyway, the NEW problem is that... when I take 100mgs, I sleep for super long. I wake up SOO GROGGY it's impossible to DO anything, so (I was on vacation) I just laid around. And last night my alarm didn't go off and I slept like A LOG for a very very long time -- I think 13 hours. It happens consistently on this. Have anyone else experienced this?

aeon
10-30-15, 01:55 PM
Okay, so...... the stomach issue went away, so it must have been caused by something else? Anyway, the NEW problem is that... when I take 100mgs, I sleep for super long. I wake up SOO GROGGY it's impossible to DO anything, so (I was on vacation) I just laid around. And last night my alarm didn't go off and I slept like A LOG for a very very long time -- I think 13 hours. It happens consistently on this. Have anyone else experienced this?

I get that from 50mgs, and in my case, 25mg has proven to be effective and suitable, with no undesired side-effects, including any hangover upon waking.

Talk to your doctor about it. For most people, 100mgs of trazodone for sleep is a sledgehammer when a regular hammer is likely all that is required.

Cheers,
Ian

maysarieltiff
08-07-16, 01:40 AM
I was taking 100mg of it for almost a year. It helped me sleep at first, but there was definitely a "window" of time that I had to try and fall asleep in, or it wouldn't work. Towards the end of my taking it (I only recently asked if I could stop it,) it was giving me a terrible hangover in the morning. HOWEVER lol, I still have the morning hangover, but I am not sleeping now, so...I guess I have to decide which is better.

I did not like having to adhere to trying to sleep in a 15 minute window that I had to time out or figure out and basically could not predict. I had to lay down and pray for the best.

But it did help my sleep for a time, and at least got me to sleep. It never got me back to sleep once I awoke, though.

spamspambacon
08-07-16, 11:55 AM
I'm battling sleep issues right now.
I'm on Straterra (rant/ my doc refuses to prescribe stimulants because she's living in 200 BC where every one who takes a stimulant is addicted to it /end rant), so this is not the result of being on a stimulant.

On Trazodone 50/100mgs and Ambien 10mgs and I can't fall asleep for schitt. I can't stay asleep, I wake up multiple times during the night and ruminate about something or other, then end up waking up late mornings, feeling dull.

If I don't take anything, I'm up aaaaall night!

I haven't tried sleeping within 15 mins of taking it. I'm going to try that tonight...

maysarieltiff
08-14-16, 10:07 PM
Try about an hour within taking it. My experience anyway. Not sure about ambien, the one time I took it was in the hospital before I was induced in order for me to get some rest and I remember trying to go to the bathroom and being very out of it. I am not sure of the mg they gave me though.