View Full Version : Inclusion classrooms

harley79
10-16-15, 12:30 PM
I don't know if anyone knows this answer but my son is on IEP and hes in inclusion classes he has dyslexia and ADHD in his classes there is a teacher and an aide in the classroom does anyone know if its a requirement for one of them to be special needs certified.

TiA Tammy

qanda
10-16-15, 07:56 PM
I live in NY, am a teacher, and the answer is no, the regular teacher nor the aide need to be certified. However, the aide works under a Special Ed teacher. The aide is most likely helping a half dozen students in the regular ed class, and in Special Areas like art, music, the aide often is shared between 2 classes, so not there half the time. At least that is the way it is in our school.

We had a lot of cuts in recent years, teacher aids being one hard hit, so we have lots of included children but the aides are spread too thin.

In my experience, yes the children get support, but we could use more aides as these kids sometimes need more 1 on 1 assistance.

harley79
10-17-15, 08:31 AM
Thank You Ganda

Lunacie
10-17-15, 10:08 AM
You can ask for a dedicated para who is certified in special needs in your IEP,
but in my experience you won't get one. There aren't many paras with that
kind of training. We couldn't even get a dedicated para for my granddaughter,
who has autism. There was one para for several children and she had no special
needs training at all.

After years of bucking our local school, the principal finally agreed to send my
granddaughter to a different school with a special needs classroom and a
wonderful teacher. After a year in that room to recover her footing and gain
confidence, my granddaughter began going to a couple of inclusion classes
with either the teacher or a para in attendance. By the end of the second year
in that class she was able to attend one or two inclusion classes On Her Own. :D

If only this had been available when she was in primary school, long before
she was in middle school.

willow129
10-17-15, 11:00 AM
Yeah, paras are generally not certified in anything. I mean, the pay isn't very high, and getting certified in things requires paying to take courses, so there isn't a lot of motivation to do that.
(I was a para, working one on one and I am definitely not certified in special ed. Paras who are certified in anything education related are usually young people looking to get some experience on their resume before their first teaching job (ie me) so not likely to be in the job long.)