View Full Version : Fish Oil - benefits

BellaVita
10-16-15, 07:28 PM
I've recently started taking fish oil, I tried it a few years back and didn't notice much of a difference.

But I have a better quality brand this time.

Does anyone have links to studies/articles that discuss benefits of fish oil? (Physical health and mental health)

I'm a vegetarian, so I know that sometimes it can be a more difficult task to get certain nutrients. That's one reason I'm taking this and I also take a multivitamin.

I think on the first day I took it I noticed some mood lifting effects, although I'm not sure that I've noticed it since then and could have been placebo.

I've been taking it for 5ish days now.

Also, I know some members have experienced personal benefits, feel free to share those. (I love details)

Lunacie
10-16-15, 07:57 PM
I don't know exactly how long I'd been taking Omega 3 before I realized it was
doing some good stuff.

What I first noticed was that I could finish writing a post or email online and get
the thought out there without running into a brick wall partway through when
the word I needed simply vanished.

Then I have to get out the thesaurus and go for the general idea and winnow it
down to the actual word I needed to explain my thought. By then I wasn't quite
sure what point I'd been trying to make.

Now that very rarely happens, unless I forget to take my supplements and my
meds for several days in a row.

Added: I started taking a formula from Avon about 10 years ago. It was very
expensive, so I went to Walmart and bought just plain old fish oil. It worked
just as well. Last year I took advantage of a sale at Walgreen's on high end
expensive fish oil, and didn't feel like it worked any better ... or even as well.

daveddd
10-16-15, 09:38 PM
https://books.google.com/books?id=hja_WfA3EkIC&pg=PA101&dq=adhd+fish+oil&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDUQ6AEwATgKahUKEwjVofSdr8jIAhWKdD4KHaN0A6c#v =onepage&q=adhd%20fish%20oil&f=false

BellaVita
10-17-15, 07:17 PM
Hmmm, feeling a little stomach upset. Wonder if it can cause that, or if it's something else.

BUT today I do notice that I'm in a better mood than usual, in fact I even caught myself feeling happy - and my thoughts are more optimistic.

Delphine
10-17-15, 07:39 PM
No links/articles/studies to share, but started taking them on and off a few years ago for dry skin and possible eyesight help only (didn't know about my ADHD then).

Always noticed side effect of being just a bit more upbeat, clear headed and more able to get-on-with-it when taking them. Every time (fish oils only back then).

But also being undiagnosed and clueless back then and terrible at remembering to take any supplement, it wasn't consistent enough to say for sure.

So maybe this particular survey-of-one-person is not of much help to you.

Started taking a good few supplements again about two weeks ago and feeling good, but that could also be the relief of finally knowing what the problem is here. Also, my blunderbuss of multivitamins + fish oils this time around doesn't really isolate any one helpful component. Sorry.

Look forward to reading from others. Thanks for bringing it up.

Abcdef
10-17-15, 09:08 PM
I've tried Krill oil before but only for a few weeks.

I never noticed a difference, but my diet and routine was all over the place as I was adjusting to meds at the time. I think now that the fog has cleared I may give it another chance to see the benefits..if any.

I can remember one thing though...it's best taken with food otherwise you get that fish oil acid-reflux :faint:

Lunacie
10-17-15, 10:57 PM
I've tried Krill oil before but only for a few weeks.

I never noticed a difference, but my diet and routine was all over the place as I was adjusting to meds at the time. I think now that the fog has cleared I may give it another chance to see the benefits..if any.

I can remember one thing though...it's best taken with food otherwise you get that fish oil acid-reflux :faint:

Actually I noticed it most when I ran out. A week later I realized how scared
I was that I'd lived in that fog for so many years. I was running errands with
my grandkids and got totally lost in a part of town that I knew pretty well.

As soon as I saw a Walmart I stopped and got some more fish oil. I haven't
run out again since then.

Some people do get fishy burps. I never have whether I eat anything with my
meds or not. Maybe it's because I drink plenty of water when I take them.

dvdnvwls
10-17-15, 11:02 PM
I was told by a doctor who takes fish oil himself that some brands are worse than others for fishy burps.

Abcdef
10-17-15, 11:48 PM
Actually I noticed it most when I ran out. A week later I realized how scared
I was that I'd lived in that fog for so many years. I was running errands with
my grandkids and got totally lost in a part of town that I knew pretty well.

As soon as I saw a Walmart I stopped and got some more fish oil. I haven't
run out again since then.

Some people do get fishy burps. I never have whether I eat anything with my
meds or not. Maybe it's because I drink plenty of water when I take them.

If you don't mind me asking how long have you been taking fish oil?

burger
10-18-15, 07:07 AM
You could google EPA adhd pubmed or fish oil adhd pubmed. Adding pubmed on the end usually gets science papers. I think you need a ratio of at least 60 EPA to 40 DHA. A ratio to 4 EPA to 1 DHA might be better.

Abcdef
10-18-15, 07:24 AM
Just to throw another ingredient into the mix- I have heard Wild Blueberries have been proven to increase memory and concentration. Regular Blueberries have health benefits as well but it's the "Wild" variety that you want.

Fuzzy12
10-18-15, 08:33 AM
After quite a bit of research I now use the NOW brand, which I think is fairly decent. It's got much more epa and dha than most super market brands and is supposed to have fewer harmful particles and I forgot all the other benefits. There:s a decent website which reviews omega 3 suppl brands and I'll try to find it when I'm back in my office. I'm not sure I notice any improvements (probably mainly because I keep forgetting to take it regularly) but my mom said it definitely helps her with energy and mood.

Another thing I wanted to add is have you tried ground flax seeds?( I used to take vegetarian omega 3 which is obtained from flax seeds. The omega 3 is supposed to be not as absorbable or something so now I just take fish oil).

However, I did for a while sprinkle ground flax seeds on my breakfast cereals, mainly for its high fibre content, and that definitely made a huge difference. It gave me more energy and I think, because it is supposed to even out your blood sugar absorption, it helped me with my mood as well.

Lunacie
10-18-15, 10:31 AM
If you don't mind me asking how long have you been taking fish oil?

It's close to 12 years now.

Unmanagable
10-18-15, 11:14 AM
I took fish oil for a while and did notice some improvements, but only after I switched to a higher quality brand and used it for a while. That was prior to my drastic dietary intake transition.

I honestly didn't feel comfortable taking them any longer after learning more about the declining health of the waters that those fish live in, which is why I stopped eating fish, also.

Since easter sunday, when I was catapulted into the big changes with diet as a result of an ER visit, I now get omega 3s from flax seed, chia seed, hemp seed, wild greens, and wild berries.

Winter time will be a little more challenging as far as foraging for the wild sources, but hopefully I'll figure it out along the way.

ADHDsim
10-18-15, 01:14 PM
Personally As a child my breakfast was practically a cocktail of fish oils and natural supplements for the treatment of ADHD.

The total effect in my opinion = 0 + fishy reflux for mid morning recess.

Everyone is different it might actually work for you and certainly it is known for a host of other health benefits.

I'm deeply bitter about homeopathic treatments for ADHD, virtually to the point of suing these companies. I have lived a life that need not have been. (Pardon for going on a tangent)

dvdnvwls
10-18-15, 02:53 PM
Fish oil is not a homeopathic treatment. It is an actual substance, not a sugar pill.

Whether it helps some people with ADHD, autism, etc or not is a different question. But homeopathy isn't part of the picture in any way.

BellaVita
11-10-15, 12:15 AM
So I've been taking fish oil almost every day since early October - I must say my brain feels much clearer/slight lift in mood/my body doesn't hurt as bad.

BUT it's difficult to say if that is from the fish oil or other lifestyle changes I have made/other things I've added.

I'm going to keep taking it anyway.

BellaVita
11-16-15, 06:28 AM
I noticed something...

I seem to be having a better ability to "bounce back" from something I am depressed about.

Like, I notice I'm depressed, so then I intentionally start to do things to take care of me so that I can influence my brain chemicals to put me in a better mood.

Also feel calmer, brain feels clearer. *A sense of well-being. Oh! And a bit more alert, but a calm-alertness.

I also forgot to say that I started a new type of fish oil about a week ago that has vitamin D added to it.

I really do think I'm seeing a difference with this one.

Small, but anything helps.

And also, please keep in mind these results are possibly not only from fish oil but other things I've been doing like exercising, eating a healthier diet, and other things.

Lunacie
11-16-15, 11:12 AM
I noticed something...

I seem to be having a better ability to "bounce back" from something I am depressed about.

Like, I notice I'm depressed, so then I intentionally start to do things to take care of me so that I can influence my brain chemicals to put me in a better mood.

Also feel calmer, brain feels clearer. *A sense of well-being. Oh! And a bit more alert, but a calm-alertness.

I also forgot to say that I started a new type of fish oil about a week ago that has vitamin D added to it.

I really do think I'm seeing a difference with this one.

Small, but anything helps.

And also, please keep in mind these results are possibly not only from fish oil but other things I've been doing like exercising, eating a healthier diet, and other things.

It can be hard to credit (or blame) one thing when our lives are so complicated.

I noticed I felt less depressed and those feelings didn't last as long after I began taking fish oil.

But of course, that was also when my divorce was final, which may have contributed to "bounce back ability."

Khamy25
12-10-15, 04:46 PM
Hi,

It's important to check epa you should get about 1000 mg epa.

I bought these for my child no fish taste at all!

"Barlean's Organic Oils Key Lime Ultra High Potency Fish Omega Swirl"

Only this flavor and the citrus sorbet flavor have around 1000 mg epa (910 mg).Always check the labels.

My child is taking it for about two months I've noticed he's a bit less hyper and his mood is a tiny bit better. I read he should take it at least for 6 months to see improvements or not.

qanda
12-21-15, 10:31 PM
My daughter started on 1,000mg EPA fish oil and Zoloft at the same time, a couple months ago. She can focus better on Math so both she and I see an improvement in focus. But she did start 2 things at the same time so completely sure which one is the reason.

ToneTone
12-24-15, 12:33 PM
I used to take fish oil, but I kept seeing research saying that fish oil itself did not produce great effects in the heart or in the brain.

The research seemed to be showing that the more important step is to eat fish, real fatty fish, a couple of times a week and generally eat diet that has a lot of good, healthy fats in it.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/fish-oil-claims-not-supported-by-research/

Tone

Lunacie
12-24-15, 12:57 PM
I used to take fish oil, but I kept seeing research saying that fish oil itself did not produce great effects in the heart or in the brain.

The research seemed to be showing that the more important step is to eat fish, real fatty fish, a couple of times a week and generally eat diet that has a lot of good, healthy fats in it.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/fish-oil-claims-not-supported-by-research/

Tone

While it's always better to get needed nutrients from actual food sources, I don't like fish and certainly won't eat it twice a week.

The fish oil supplement I take definitely makes an improvement in my adhd symptoms.