View Full Version : Diural mood variation?

ADHDsim
10-17-15, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I suffer from what I understand to be diurnal mood variation. That is morning depression and relief (occasional high) by night time. This has been a constant pattern for myself up until I was treated for ADHD with dexedrine.

My question is if anyone here is aware of ADHD having such an effect? It's like i "speed up" threw the night and the high gets worse until I'm sleepy.

Dexedrine brings me "Upto speed" earlier in the day and subsequently I have found I don't thrill seek into the wee hours. It balances me.

Anything anyone can add? Or relate with? Maybe it's not diurnal mood variation? Maybe ADHD mornings just suck and night time is just fun.

demfabbones
10-26-15, 04:53 PM
I honestly don't know the first thing about diural mood variation, but what you describe sounds pretty familiar to me. I will sometimes get on a "high" where I'm engaged in an activity to the point where it becomes unpleasant, and then I crash and want to sleep almost immediately.

In general I think it can be hard for people with ADD to regulate their energy levels/moods. What has helps me most in that department is regulating my sleep cycle though meditation, melatonin therapy (dark cherry juice is an easy one for that!) and "unplugging" at least an hour before bed.

Lunacie
10-26-15, 05:01 PM
Yes, mornings have always been hard for me. I don't really wake up and become
productive until I've been up for two or three hours.

I thought maybe evenings were better for me because my hubby generally
worked evening or night shift. I dunno.