View Full Version : Need help choosing my next smartphone

anonymouslyadd
10-19-15, 04:31 PM
I need a smartphone that's capable of texting, making phone calls and sending emails. That's it. The only ones available have much more than I want. I need to figure out which one best fits my needs and at the best price.

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I should purchase a tablet, too. With my present job, I use a tablet all the time. I'll have to give the tablet back in about a week.

midnightstar
10-19-15, 06:24 PM
I've got the Microsoft Nokia Luminia (sp?), that does what you said but mine doesn't do emails because the signal's too big a piece of poo round here for it to be able to get internet :grouphug:

dvdnvwls
10-19-15, 07:26 PM
If you want a smartphone, then forget about looking for one without certain features. The smartphone market isn't like that; they all do everything whether you like it or not. :)

What does the tablet do that a large nice phone won't do?

namazu
10-19-15, 09:41 PM
What dvdnvwls said. New smartphones -- even the low-end ones -- come pretty loaded.

However -- if you prefer *not* to have so many features (and a large, easily-broken screen), you could look into getting an older phone that's unlocked / compatible with your carrier.

As long as you can still find batteries and a way to charge the phone, an old flip-phone with internet capability and a keyboard will work just fine.

Bonus: they can be bought pretty cheaply secondhand.

EDIT: I missed the tablet part -- how do you use the tablet at work?

dvdnvwls
10-19-15, 10:06 PM
I had a job where some days I felt like a cyanide tablet would have come in handy, but that's definitely for another thread. :)

anonymouslyadd
10-19-15, 10:49 PM
If you want a smartphone, then forget about looking for one without certain features. The smartphone market isn't like that; they all do everything whether you like it or not. :)

What does the tablet do that a large nice phone won't do?
I guess I imagine typing with it, using a wireless keyboard. I'm not sure. I want to simplify things and use the phone for just the basics. Then, use the tablet to surf the web.

I've used a tablet a lot and have always needed a battery back up to keep it charged. I've also had to constantly recharge my phone. It's tiring having to charge both all the time. If I use the phone for less things, I won't have to worry about it being charged all the time.

anonymouslyadd
10-19-15, 10:50 PM
EDIT: I missed the tablet part -- how do you use the tablet at work?
I like to use the tablet to surf the web when I'm out. I can handle having to keep one device's battery charged, but it's hard to do that for another.

Unmanagable
10-19-15, 11:01 PM
I'm still seeking a place that offers a carrier pigeon plan. With no extra bells and whistles. Ode to the good ol' days. lol

stef
10-20-15, 03:49 AM
From my absolutely non-tech savvy opinion: make sure you LIKE the feel of the phone and tablet ,and the virtual keyboard. go to an electronics store and check them out before you buy anything (if you were thinking of buying online). If you liked what you were using before, try to get something similar. If possible don't have one thing android and another Apple. I did this for a long time and it drove me crazy to switch between the 2 different looking systems.

Abi
10-20-15, 05:04 AM
The newer tablets use very little power. They take forever to discharge. This applies to the cheaper ones as well. MIne was $140.