View Full Version : How long do you sleep for?

addude94
10-20-15, 07:18 PM
For the past week or so, I've only been sleeping for about 4-5 hours a night. Before this, I've always aimed for 7. However, this has been my most productive week in a very long time. I asked my doctor and she said that as long as I'm not nodding off then it's fine. I hate forcing myself to wake up before my natural sleep cycle ends, but it's done wonders for me so far. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? How long does everyone here sleep for?

TangledWebs
10-20-15, 10:57 PM
On Adderall XR: 8 hours
Off Adderall XR: 18 hours

sarahsweets
10-21-15, 02:23 AM
I had a sleep study done years ago because of insomnia. I wasnt having much luck with sleep medicine. I wont bore you with the specifics but she said the idea of 8 hours a night is not always the case. There are some people who naturally need less sleep, no matter what their schedule is. I get about 4-6 hours a night. I had to retrain my body to sleep normally and I get up very early, which I love.

stef
10-21-15, 04:22 AM
If you're productive and not feeling terrible that could be enough sleep!
If you feel yourself starting to crash in a few days though, that could catch up with you.

I absolutely need 6; if I'm doing well with being ready for bed at 11:30 and not falling asleep on the couch i can get 6.5 When I get busy during the work week it's just that I have less quality sleep somehow.
7 hours is ideal! I just can't sleep late, I'm too much of a morning person. I nap on weekends :)

BellaVita
10-21-15, 05:27 AM
I need 9.2-11 hrs of sleep per night. Sometimes more.

I feel bad if I get less than 9.

Fuzzy12
10-21-15, 06:40 AM
Ideally, I'd like to get 7h of sleep but I can do with 6h. On weekends, I sleep more, not really because I need more sleep but just because I can't get myself to get up.

I can do fairly well with just 3-4h of sleep short term, which I often have to do before deadlines and it doesn't reduce my productivity really, especially if I'm medicated :rolleyes:. I don't think though that less sleep directly makes me more productive, but it's the deadlines and associated stress and motivation that make me productive in spite of reduced sleep. Especially, since on days when I don't get enough sleep I can do my work (which I sacrificed sleep for) but absolutely nothing else.

Another reason why reduced sleep might make you more productive is that you are just too tired to focus on every tiny little crap but pool all your resources on one thing (though usually when I'm tired my focus gets worse).

If your natural sleep cycle is not 4-5h, then I'm not sure you should force yourself to sleep that little. Long-term I think that might just not be enough.

Unmanagable
10-21-15, 09:45 AM
It varies for me. I've been a shift worker most of my life until about 3 years ago. Still have had no luck in "training" my body to sleep during what most refer to as a "normal" pattern, or even a consistent one.

I used to have to eat xanax and sleeping pills like crazy to even think about chilling out enough to drift off to sleep when I had to maintain my crazy work schedule. I now am at a point in my life where I can allow my body to do whatever it is it needs to do naturally, and it sure seems to dig that vs. forcing it out of its natural rhythms.

Some nights I sleep 8-10 hours, while others, I'm good with 4-5. Then I have days where I need a nap to get through. Learning to release the pent up energies I tend to easily absorb from others has been my best sleep aid, thus far.

Lunacie
10-21-15, 11:46 AM
I can't imagine only needing 6 hours of sleep, even though my son-in-law was
like that.

I've always needed at least 8 hours, 9 is better. And when I'm in a flare from
fibromyalgia I find myself sleeping 10 to 12 hours many nights.

ADHDsim
10-21-15, 02:32 PM
4 or 8 hrs. 6hrs and I'm screwed for the majority of the day.

Luvmybully
10-21-15, 02:55 PM
I need at least 9 hours. Sometimes more.

aeon
10-22-15, 10:36 AM
On average, 8 hours.

Breezlesauce
10-22-15, 11:00 AM
About 7ish. I can't sleep more than 8 unless I am recently off Adderall. Then those first few nights I sleep about 9-10hrs.

demfabbones
10-22-15, 03:29 PM
I try to get 8 but it's probably more like 7. In thinking about it, here's how I'd break it down:

less than 5 (shoot me)
5-6 (super tired but I'll live)
7 (okay)
8 (good)
8 1/2 (great)
9 (good but slightly sluggish)
10 or more (worthless due to feeling totally wired/drunkenly tired but not in a pleasant way)

roflwaffle
10-23-15, 12:44 AM
I need at least 7 to function OK, but I do better with ~8-10. I can go on 5-6, but if I dip below that I'll get some odd symptoms besides extreme exhaustion like nausea/vomiting.