View Full Version : Should have asked for a longer extension...

Nala94
10-21-15, 02:27 AM
I have a paper due tomorrow that I am still working on at 2am. (I only have like 2 paragraphs and the paper has to be 8 pages double spaced). I probably should have argued for a longer extension because I had to restart and pick a new topic on the due date for the rough draft in addition to already having an accommodation for extended time on projects. But I thought I would be able to get it done.

I'm worried that I won't finish in time, but I can't pull an all nighter either (done that before with bad results and I just can't get myself to do it now). A day late is a decrease in one letter grade (which I guess is better than nothing), but I am really worried about my grade in this class because I hate writing and she hasn't put any grades in yet so I don't know where I stand.

Has anyone else struggled with this, not asking for an extension because they think they have enough time?

Or has anyone been able to get an extension last minute or retroactively?

I just don't know how to approach professors about this. I'm worried they'll say no, or get upset, or think poorly of me. Esp since I already had an extension.

dvdnvwls
10-21-15, 02:36 AM
If you don't approach the professor, your chance of extension is zero.

If you do approach the professor, your chance of extension is... something.

So, go already. :)

GoalieMel33
10-21-15, 03:16 AM
I feel you, I'm all too familiar with all-nighters and last minute school projects. Like Dvd said, it's worth attempting to explain your situation to your teacher and ask her for the extension. Be honest, tell her about your struggles and the fact that you thought you had enough time. The important thing is to let him know that you were working all that time being. Even if she refuses, at least you tried.

I didn't have the extended time for homework as accommodation (only during tests). In situations where I had to decide between turning my work in time (but incomplete) or late (but complete), it was about taking a guess or risk in estimating how much I would approximately get. If I think I can get a good grade (despite the penalty), I'll take the chance. If it's smaller homework or I don't believe I can pull it off even with more time, then I'll give it at due date the way it is. But I'll always work harder to catch up later.

TangledWebs
10-21-15, 04:30 AM
No, I didn't receive any accommodations in my college courses; however, there were a few times when I most definitely played the ADHD card. For instance, if a paper was due at midnight and I submitted the paper at 2:00 AM instead, I would shoot my professor an email and explain to them that the new ADHD medication I was on wasn't treating my symptoms as well, and I was having trouble focusing for longer than brief periods of time. #adhdproblems

Since I do have ADHD, I didn't feel that bad about fibbing or twisting the truth a little. Chronic procrastination is a hallmark of ADHD, which was the honest reason.

So, my answer is yes, I have been able to get an extension at the last minute. I would usually email my professors.

TangledWebs
10-21-15, 04:36 AM
In situations where I had to decide between turning my work in time (but incomplete) or late (but complete), it was about taking a guess or risk in estimating how much I would approximately get. If I think I can get a good grade (despite the penalty), I'll take the chance. If it's smaller homework or I don't believe I can pull it off even with more time, then I'll give it at due date the way it is. But I'll always work harder to catch up later.

C'mon! You didn't play the ADHD card? Lies.

Nala94
10-21-15, 08:43 AM
Thank you for your replies and support. I sent her an email, so fingers crossed she'll be understanding.

GoalieMel33
10-21-15, 02:23 PM
C'mon! You didn't play the ADHD card? Lies.

I wasn't diagnosed back then, and the only thing that was written on my accommodations letter was ''student with particular needs'' , they didn't know what I had and I didn't feel the need to tell them specically.

I try as much as possible to manage things on my own and pretty much gave up talking to my teachers since some of them would criticize how disorganized I am or my poor work ethics (which isn't completely true, I worked hard despite being last minute).