CharaChoppel
10-22-15, 06:19 PM
Are you a long sleeper?
Please write about it in this thread!

How many hours?

What have you been able to do about it?

Medications?

Other things?

How have you been able to work? To study?

Social implications:

What have people said to you when they understand you
sleep such a long time?

And so on - anything to do with needing to sleep exceedingly much?

Delphine
10-22-15, 10:37 PM
By nature, I am a long sleeper.

In my 20's, a natural sleep was 10 hours. (Not because of partying... just normal sleep. 'Partying sleeps' were probably longer!!)

Even after 10 hours sleep, getting up just felt normal. ie...it didn't feel like a long sleep.

Most of my family, brothers/sisters were the same.

As I went on in life, I decided or learned that this was unacceptable.

I learned to keep up with the pace of the world around me. I had kids that needed to be in school on time..... meaning that if I stayed up until midnight or afterwards, then 6 or 7 hours sleep had to be okay for me.

That never felt like enough sleep, but I reasoned that this must be because I was such a lazy/unacceptable person - and everyone else around me was thriving on 6 minimum hours of sleep (and jogging first thing, and doing back-flips and hand-stands and generally being wonderful, while I was reaching for the caffeine whilst berating myself :) :) :) )

Fast-forward to today - mid 50's - in my heart of hearts I long for a holiday where I could justifiably sleep 10 hours minimum without feeling guilty about it.
Most mornings I feel I'd love more sleep than I've had.

But I've also developed a habit of loving the peace and quiet of late nights into the early hours..... and usually have appointments in the morning - so 6/7 hours sleep has become the norm, while my body usually longs for a few more hours.

(note to self: pencil in a few long sleeps here and there, please :) )

When I was younger, I felt criticised by friends for needing long sleeps.
...Ironically, when they themselves were partied-out, long sleeps were fine and dandy. But me needing long sleeps (without being partied out) was a major source of criticism.

My personal experience was that others greatly admire people who only need 6 hrs sleep or less. Better again if said short-sleep begins their day with tipping-their-toes-one-hundred-times, while being fabulously-positive-about-everything! :)

(Needless to add, said-fabulous-short-sleeper was never me....)

TangledWebs
10-23-15, 12:50 AM
By nature, I am a long sleeper as well. I was even convinced I was an undiagnosed narcoleptic at one point. Actually, I still wonder if I have narcolepsy. I'm almost certain I have undiagnosed Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT), which is characterized by hypoactivity, lethargy, mental fogginess, and slow mental processing.

How many hours?: I'm capable of sleeping 18 hours a day, but I force myself to sleep at least 8 hours a night. In primary and secondary school, I was absent at least once every couple weeks because I wasn't able to wake up in the morning. I would fall asleep in the shower or on the bathroom floor. I just wouldn't be able to keep my eyes open.

What have you been able to do about it?: Medication, such as Adderall XR, has helped a ton. I rely heavily on caffeine, too.

Medications?: Adderall XR, caffeine, vitamin B, and before I moved to California, I used to use an artificial light during the winter.

Other things?: Exercise. Oh, I also have bloodwork done every six months to make sure there isn't anything serious going on.

How have you been able to work? To study?: Adderall XR, caffeine, and energy drinks. In college, I would wake up an hour early to take my Adderall, go back to bed, then wake up once my medication started working.

What have people said to you when they understand you sleep such a long time?: You need to see a doctor. That's not normal. Haha. I've lost a lot of friends because I was too tired to go out in the evenings.

stef
10-23-15, 03:04 AM
My husband and son are night owls and long sleepers (no ADHD), 9 hours easily.
I envy them on the weekends, I simply cannot sleep in; and not easy for them going on 6 and 7 hours to fit in with Life. I've never felt there's something wrong with this, everyone has a different biological rythym.