View Full Version : ADHD and Memory Issues

SilentDaddy
10-24-15, 12:28 AM
My little girl who is almost 12 now can't seem to memorize things like times tables, where she'll have to figure it out each time no matter how much she studied or practice. Another thing, left from right, she'll have to stop and think and just draw a blank.

Has any parent experienced anything like this? No other learning issues, very bright, average student in a private school, plays multiple instruments, mechanically inclined.

I read about the fish oil and Omega 3s and she has been taking them on and for the most part but not sure if this is a medical issue, deficiency or something related to her adhd.

Any advice is appreciated.

stef
10-24-15, 02:09 AM
have you looked into dyslexia and dyscalcula ( inversing numbers)?
im not even diagnosed myself, it was my boss who ( kindly) suggested i might have a form of dyslexia, which i never considered as i have absolutely no trouble reading and did very well in school ( except for math).

sarahsweets
10-24-15, 05:49 AM
Does she have adhd?

Vandeluca
10-29-15, 11:14 AM
My 11 year old has an abnormal EEG which means she has epilepsy. She doesn't have seizures anymore, but it still not normal. These kinds of memory issues are her exactly. She is very 'variable'. I saw it today. All week she was able to do all of her math homework. Pre-algebra independently. Mind you they overloaded them once again with other projects and she is exhausted today but she has a math quiz. I watched her 'forget' how to do everything. Now, by the time the quiz happens today she could pull 100. It's crazy and frustrating at times ..Good luck....

Codykins
11-10-15, 08:07 PM
My 14 year old son has lots of memory issues. He forgets everything and he too doesn't know his time table or months and often struggles with days of the week. I believe a lot of his forgetfulness is his ADHD lack of focus, inattentive and impulsive. He really doesn't pay attention to anything long enough. i.e. he forgets his phone, keys and important things all the time.

FogNoggin
11-11-15, 02:09 PM
Sounds like me, (I write with my right hand)
I still forget some of my basic times tables, but quickly recalled or figured out.
I am mechanically inclined and score above average in spacial and mechanical abilities.
Yet I can't work as an auto mechanic, of which I did really well in Community college, because I would waste too much time looking for tools, being disorganised and trouble paying attention to instruction.
Didn't help being nervous trying to do well.

Sometimes I have to memorise patterns on the number key pad to help remember PIN codes and phone numbers.
And there is the key, patterns and association, if she is taught that she writes with her right (if RH'ed) and the left is left over.
Or stuff like, maybe a phone number has certain number patterns, like 'x' on the key pad, or the numbers are on the corners.

And the times tables, not sure, most of the time I get it right, 6x7 screws me up sometimes, and 6x9, so I'll go 6x10-6=54 :)
(checks calculator to be sure)