View Full Version : Just something i'm wondering.

HowToCombo
10-27-15, 09:58 PM
So, I was diagnosed last thursday with ADD and doctor wanted to start me on medication right away. At first I was baffled by how calm it made my thoughts and I actually got my house chores and stuff like that done without the constant "limbo of planning" as i've started calling it.

I asked my doctor if it was okay to not take the medicine for one day of the week and he was ok with it.

Now this is my first day trying it out without medication after 5 days of being on meds, i'm wondering whats going on. My thoughts are super fast, I dont stay in one topic when i talk, i'm always tapping my fingers and all around feeling very weird.

My questing is this: Could it be that during the 4-5 days with meds i've gone through, i've already seen what it is like to be a normal calm and collected person and i'm just weirded out by this change or are the meds ******* with my head?

it is kind of hard to read longer texts without meds without getting interrupted by my thoughts and i lose the line i'm reading like it always used to be pre meds.

Can't help but to worry a little about this but should i just try to stay calm and see how things go?

sarahsweets
10-28-15, 04:42 AM
why would you want to take a day off? I need my meds every day personally.

HowToCombo
10-28-15, 05:04 AM
More like, why not? After trying out these meds I realized how fast and random my train of thought really is and it is very disturbing but despite of the disturbing nature of the fast paced thinking and all the dreaming and crap that comes along with it i don't think one should completely rely on the drug especially on days that it is not necessary.

Fuzzy12
10-28-15, 08:06 AM
After just 4-5 days, I think, it's probably just a return to your normal symptoms. Maybe you are noticing them now more because you have seen the alternative as you said.

I just discussed this with my psychiatrist yesterday actually. After a prolonged period of taking them continuously you can get some withdrawal effects when you stop taking them suddenly (though not everyone does and the extent will differ as well from person to person) but the withdrawal effects aren't really supposed to last longer than a few days. Anything after that is just your symptoms.

sarahsweets
10-28-15, 10:43 AM
More like, why not? After trying out these meds I realized how fast and random my train of thought really is and it is very disturbing but despite of the disturbing nature of the fast paced thinking and all the dreaming and crap that comes along with it i don't think one should completely rely on the drug especially on days that it is not necessary.

I hear what you are saying but there is nothing wrong with being dependent on medication. Diabetics are dependent on insulin, farsighted people are dependent on glassess, someone with a weak knee is dependent on a knee brace. If its necessary for daily living(and for me its life or death) than there is nothing wrong with taking them everyday.

Lunacie
10-28-15, 12:05 PM

For some people, meds are necessary every day.

If you think you have some days where they aren't necessary, it's fine to skip a day.

In fact, it's a good reminder of why you take them, as you've just seen.

I'm lucky that the Omega 3 I take can be skipped for a day without making a big difference.

I have to skip at least 3 days before I really notice the difference.

Like the days when I have a migraine and only take excedrin.

aeon
10-28-15, 02:47 PM
My questing is this: Could it be that during the 4-5 days with meds i've gone through, i've already seen
what it is like to be a normal calm and collected person and i'm just weirded out by this change or are the meds ******* with my head?

Youíve had a glimpse of what it is like to have your disability lessened, and because of this, you have some perspective on, and idea of,
the nature of your disability.

That can be quite the experience when beginning medication. It sure was for me. Life-changing, and that is no exaggeration.

More like, why not? After trying out these meds I realized how fast and random my train of thought really is and it is very disturbing
but despite of the disturbing nature of the fast paced thinking and all the dreaming and crap that comes along with it i don't think
one should completely rely on the drug especially on days that it is not necessary.

ADHD is 24/7/365. You can take a med break, but keep in mind, your disorder never does, and never will.

I donít take medication breaks any more because I came to see that there arenít any days when my meds arenít necessary, and that
they are of benefit to me every day, even on those days when I have few responsibilities, or extra time to be at leisure.

Of course that decision is up to you. Just keep in mind there is nothing wrong with becoming dependent upon something that helps with
a disability, whether that is medication, a wheelchair, eyeglasses, or another personís help.

And if you had a chance to help yourself (as you define that for you), wouldnít you choose it, even if that meant choosing medication?

Best Wishes,
Ian

HowToCombo
10-28-15, 07:17 PM
I see my thread has gotten quite a bit of responses. During yesterday's first no med tryout i realized the magnitude of my ADD. It is completely crazy, it might be that i won't be holding another no med day in a long time.

Little Missy
10-28-15, 09:42 PM
Yep, nothing like a good day or a couple days of a "med break" to really whip things up into a frenzy!

HowToCombo
10-29-15, 03:25 AM
Yep, nothing like a good day or a couple days of a "med break" to really whip things up into a frenzy!

Indeed, yesterday was completely crazy, most of the day I spent on computer scrolling through internet half reading half daydreaming, it was complete chaos in my head when compared to a day with this medication. Maybe this medicine will even help me start a school and be able to stick with it.

So far i've seen some mad change in concentration, i've chugged more knowledge in my head within last 5 days than i have in last 2 months.

I guess i'm not the only ADD person with super bad short memory? How can I start developing it? I've already started playing all kinds of memory games to get started but i'm always open for suggestions.