View Full Version : Society abusing 'maturity' for seriousness

Gilthranon
10-28-15, 10:21 AM
All around me I hear this word being thrown around - maturity - which from my point of view, isn't perceptible, it's a consciousness

Why does it bother me ? I see it used as a replacement for seriousness, not the awareness, insight or consciousness it is without the necessity of being dramatic (don't get offended if I used the wrong word pls)

It takes the joy of life away -even your personality if you're anything like me- if one has to be serious to be mature. Seriously :D Life becomes easily dramatic

I don't think maturity depends on the seriousness of treating a situation, I think it depends on the capacity of processing or understanding the implications and yet keeping an eye on the healthiest way of dealing with it. For example knowing your limit of your emotional involvement. And then it becomes variable on the individual

I think clowns are mere [sad] politicians/people addressing a troubling situation in a way all audiences listen and understand by throwing an unexpected perspective into it ?

Abi
10-28-15, 10:24 AM
Pure brilliance.

Fuzzy12
10-28-15, 10:26 AM
I fully agree that maturity and seriousness have got very little to do with each other (I wasn't aware that people actually think so?).

You don't have to be always serious to be mature. On the contrary, I would think that anyone who thinks that being mature just means being serious, probably is not very mature.

Unmanagable
10-28-15, 12:30 PM
Yet another fine example of how society tends to toss around what I refer to as the ongoing linguistic torture we've all fallen victim to. Using words as weaponry of sorts. Mind f****ing us on quite a large scale.

aeon
10-28-15, 02:12 PM
Too right, Unsy. It’s like Orwell could not have been more right.

And to Ocyan, I think it is in part a modern laziness with language, in part a purposeful evolution of language, and in part, a hangover from a time when maturity necessitated a seriousness of approach to life because the demands and consequences of not being so were much greater than today...both in a survival sense as well as a social sense.

Cheers,
Ian

SB_UK
12-02-15, 02:58 PM
Maturity - bad - an extreme supporter of a hierarchical society (ie infested with all -ISMs - people from other countries are bad, people with any other colour skin are bad, women are bad, poor people are bad, people who shop in Asda are bad ... ...)

Maturity - good - the desire to put ^^^ mind types into a metal bin with a lid on, take out an array of metal sticks and bash the bin until the individual inside relinquishes all -ISMs; because Maturity - good knows that only when that happens will Maturity - bad be happy.

so in summary -
ISMfull maturity bad <- these people are in charge, deeply addicted, simply love bombing people and have a mission in life to make these people miserable ->
ISMless maturity good <- these people are happy and have a mission in life to make the ISMfull change, since only when they do - will they (the ISMdichotomy) be happy making the 'schISM schwh()le'.

No body is any better than any other body.

Not even!! the ones with an extra big, an extra small or one in between.

SB_UK
12-02-15, 03:15 PM
Too right, Unsy. It’s like Orwell could not have been more right.

And to Ocyan, I think it is in part a modern laziness with language, in part a purposeful evolution of language, and in part, a hangover from a time when maturity necessitated a seriousness of approach to life because the demands and consequences of not being so were much greater than today...both in a survival sense as well as a social sense.

Cheers,
Ian

ooo that's diplomatic.

Maturity (bad) - relies on stick - was only ever about control. Imposition of control in itself leads to criminal behaviour - and so we can draw a causal line from law to crime.
All crime is fundamentally seeded (caused, driven, motivated, enforced, empowered) by the law (legal systems). What's interesting is to see government as an Institution of the legal system and terrorism as an example of criminal behaviour. Who exactly are the bad guys ?

Maturity (good) eg Monty Python's irreverent take on all authority - relies on quality carrot time share - and trusts that in the absence of control, people will naturally find a mutually beneficial equilibrium.

sarahsweets
12-03-15, 06:56 AM
Anyone who chooses to tell me I am immature can go f**k themselves.

stef
12-03-15, 07:08 AM
I wonder if this isn't a slightly more European concept...serious = mature.
for example when you read about how much fun and being casual, are emphasized in silicone valley companies. the trend here (well I saw part of one show about this anyway!), is to make work spaces brighter, greener and more "convivial" but it still didn't look "fun".

I've always felt really mature in some respects, and then I have a super naive and optimistic side.

Roundmouth
12-03-15, 07:55 AM
I've also noticed the opposite thing, people won't believe you're serious if you're not mature.

BellaVita
12-03-15, 09:17 AM
I've always felt really mature in some respects, and then I have a super naive and optimistic side.

I'm the same way. :o

Little Missy
12-03-15, 09:33 AM
Not having lived in Europe so I wouldn't really know but you all appear to be so restrained.

Really na´ve of me to say that. Especially when all I see of it there is on PBS. Or what's-his-faces-European tours show.