View Full Version : Caffeine for ADHA

Codykins
10-28-15, 10:37 PM
I haven't been here for awhile. My 14 year old refuses to take medication. I get him to try something new for a few weeks, his teachers see such a difference as does he. However, he hates his flatness and side effects. He so struggles with his attention and focus that it frustrates him too.

Out of the blue, he told me that he drank a Reds bull energy drink and really made him feel alert. My immediate reaction was that I really didn't want him drinking caffeine stimulant drinks.

However, I do remember his doctor telling me once to give him coffee in the AM because caffeine is a stimulant much like meds. So now I am wondering if these drinks might help instead of medication stimulants or maybe a caffeine pill?

I will ask his doctor before giving him anything like this but was wondering if anyone here has experience with caffeine stimulants for treatment?

dvdnvwls
10-28-15, 10:58 PM
Caffeine is not dangerous or bad in itself.

For me, it acts as if it was an extremely rough, extremely low-quality ADHD medication that doesn't work right.

Like finding your oven is broken and using a blowtorch to make dinner. :)

(highly unsatisfactory, and with unpleasant results, but you feel like you're doing something about the problem)

aeon
10-28-15, 11:19 PM
Caffeine can help, but only a small amount, and with significant side-effects, some of which will compound
ADHD deficits.

For these reasons, caffeine is not a prescribed medication for the treatment of ADHD.

If your son feels flat on the usual psychostimulant medications, it could be that his dosage is incorrect.
Flatness is a common experience, especially when a dosage is too high.

If this is the case, a reappraisal and new titration process might be in order. This could result in a lower dose,
with lessened and/or fewer of the side-effects he hates, yet still efficacious for his presentation of ADHD.

That all said, there isnít anything wrong with his consuming caffeine as long as it is in moderation, and with
the approval of your physician after a consultation.

Before my diagnosis (at 41), I used to sometimes experiment with caffeine. At a dosage sufficient for
relief from aspects of my ADHD, I would be irritable, anxious, and I would tremble. Afterward, I would
feel exhausted and ragged. This would also set me up for later withdrawal...debilitating headaches.

One other thing I might suggest, if you have not done so already. Present your son with the lifespan consequences
for those with ADHD, as taken from long-term studies. Not to scare him, but to inform him of reasons why medication
may be something he chooses...so as to increase his chances of avoiding undesired experiences and outcomes.

And as you might guess, he might not like (or listen to) that if it comes from you. Perhaps you know someone
in your sonís life who could help you with this. Yes, this is a difficult thing I have suggested. I do so because I can
only wish I had been treated for my ADHD at your sonís age. So many opportunities lost, so many potentials
squandered...and it could have been otherwise.

I donít mean to sound like a downer. I just want your son to be as happy and well as he can be, as he would judge
those things. If medication could be a help in realizing that, it merits a reconsideration, I think.

Well Wishes,
Ian

ADHDsim
10-29-15, 12:42 AM
Agree with Aeon in that it's a low quality stimulant for ADHD at just about any dose.

With that said taking it first thing in the morning is a clever idea. My mornings with untreated ADHD were some what still a dream state for the first 3hours.

Anyway If he dislikes his medicine there's something wrong with either the type of medicine, amount being prescribed, dosing hygiene. This should be reanalysed by a phyciatrist. The long term ramifications naturally as you are aware can be dire.

Did anyone else "speed up" from morning to night when they had untreated ADHD?

Noubarian
02-03-16, 11:08 PM
Red bull, jolt cola things like that are too much for thechild with ADHD, will cause anxiety, uncontrollable energy for the child (the kind where they feel like their skin can not hold all the frustration and energy and they just want to explode, coffee with a little sugar and lots of milk has the most amazing calming effect. If my 9 yr old is having one of those days where it stats with tears and turns to anger in a matter of seconds i make him coffee (my mom used to do this with me too, and i have ADHD as well) in 5-10 minutes they are the calm, happy go lucky child again. I myself now use coffee to sleep. The coffee is ok to use (in my experience) the other energy drinks are not effective except to make the child want to explode. Another thing that might work to calm them? Overload them with sugar, i was having a day the other day where i had so much anger and anxiety i felt i was going to explode, i just wanted to scream, or run for an hour until it was gone so i thought "I'm going to try something as sugar always seems to calm me: i had a bowl of nesquick cereal - high in iron for the stimulant users who seem to have a problem absorbing iron, half a very large dark chocolate bar and a giant glass of pepsi - all in under 5 minutes and doyou know what? I was ready to lie down and relax with my kids calmly with no tummy summersaults within just a few minutes, you guys have got to try this at least once and see if it works for you or your child. You may have already noticed that your child reacts differently to sugar than other kids - makes them sleepy instead of a sugar rush. Another thing to try? Push ups! They are amazing 10 here, 10 there when they are starting to get antsy. It lets out the full body anxiety they are feeling andhelps them focus. I've done this for years myself and just convinced my son that wow mom, that really does help.

windsoul
02-04-16, 09:44 AM
havent read the original post but will do in a moment.
watching the 'The Gift' now - as you can i am bored and lonely, wanting to share that with you guys.

anyway, Caffeine.. there were times that coffee did give a 'kick' as i was growing up, but i think as i grew older it only made me anxious, perhaps due to tolerance or something, or changes in the body, adjusting to managing the levels in it.

The past months about 3 months now i have quit caffeine. I think i do get the lethargy back but i dont get quite as much anxiety than if i were to have caffeine. Overall i do it for health cos im a health nut.

However I did notice that the instant 3in1 coffees.. some did give more anxiety (or it could be the caffeine levels in them Or perhaps the black coffees were the same, and i was reacting to "cheaper" coffees differently... i dont know)

anyways, im also taking Faverin which apparently raises levels of caffeine in the blood by about 2 or 3 times which was also a contributing factor to why i quit coffee too. I still do tea once in a while.

coffee... maybe once a month, next month. cos the smell is so tempting, but other than that i have grown older and am stricter with coffee consumption.

my 2 cents, cheers! probably come back to post again after reading the other posts.

windsoul
02-04-16, 10:03 AM
Red bull, jolt cola things like that are too much for thechild with ADHD, will cause anxiety, uncontrollable energy for the child (the kind where they feel like their skin can not hold all the frustration and energy and they just want to explode, coffee with a little sugar and lots of milk has the most amazing calming effect. If my 9 yr old is having one of those days where it stats with tears and turns to anger in a matter of seconds i make him coffee (my mom used to do this with me too, and i have ADHD as well) in 5-10 minutes they are the calm, happy go lucky child again. I myself now use coffee to sleep. The coffee is ok to use (in my experience) the other energy drinks are not effective except to make the child want to explode. Another thing that might work to calm them? Overload them with sugar, i was having a day the other day where i had so much anger and anxiety i felt i was going to explode, i just wanted to scream, or run for an hour until it was gone so i thought "I'm going to try something as sugar always seems to calm me: i had a bowl of nesquick cereal - high in iron for the stimulant users who seem to have a problem absorbing iron, half a very large dark chocolate bar and a giant glass of pepsi - all in under 5 minutes and doyou know what? I was ready to lie down and relax with my kids calmly with no tummy summersaults within just a few minutes, you guys have got to try this at least once and see if it works for you or your child. You may have already noticed that your child reacts differently to sugar than other kids - makes them sleepy instead of a sugar rush. Another thing to try? Push ups! They are amazing 10 here, 10 there when they are starting to get antsy. It lets out the full body anxiety they are feeling andhelps them focus. I've done this for years myself and just convinced my son that wow mom, that really does help.

do you have any suggestions on Iron?
do you take supplements for that..

Pixelatedmind
02-04-16, 10:11 AM
Out of the blue, he told me that he drank a Reds bull energy drink and really made him feel alert. My immediate reaction was that I really didn't want him drinking caffeine stimulant drinks.

I relied on RedBull for a good while on exams, it does help boost my focus and alertness to some extent, but It makes you more hyperactive and restless and it ends with a horrible crash (when I drank more than 2)

Unmanagable
02-04-16, 10:14 AM
Knowing the effects that sodas, caffeine, energy drinks, etc. have on our innards, and especially long-term health, makes me cringe when I read how these things are so often suggested and/or used as treatment options.

Good luck in treating all the residual issues that will likely show up as a result from ingesting all that synthetically and artificially created stuff. Not trying to change anyone's mind, just noticing it more as of late, I guess, since I no longer partake.

Caco3girl
02-04-16, 03:06 PM
I'm not a doctor, and don't know anything about the inner workings of the body....BUT...I do know that energy drinks are becoming a hot button topic in health circles.

I find it interesting that several pro-sports teams have banned energy drinks. There has also been numerous studies about the affect of drinking several a day can have on someone's kidneys, and they have been noted in several medical journals as the theoretical cause of several medical issues. It may be worth a google search for anyone considering this.

windsoul
02-06-16, 11:04 AM
I'm not a doctor, and don't know anything about the inner workings of the body....BUT...I do know that energy drinks are becoming a hot button topic in health circles.

I find it interesting that several pro-sports teams have banned energy drinks. There has also been numerous studies about the affect of drinking several a day can have on someone's kidneys, and they have been noted in several medical journals as the theoretical cause of several medical issues. It may be worth a google search for anyone considering this.

basically it gives the concentration boost that helps with adhd - but in the long run, especially in the gut and the crashes dont help overall health.