View Full Version : Alcohol and different meds

Abcdef
10-31-15, 03:44 PM
Does anyone feel that some medications are more beneficial at controlling alcohol urges than others?

I'm currently on dexamphetamine just now and although it helps in many ways, I feel it does nothing to dampen these impulsive thoughts that lead me to purchasing alcohol. On some ocassions I find it even increases the risk of this.

I had better luck on Concerta tbh, I can't remember giving in so easy and if I did
it was just on the odd occasion with a notably bad day where I felt that a drink was justifiable.:mad:

I feel it comes down to how each drug works.

Amphetamine- with a forced increase in dopamine, how does your mind know when enough is enough? It may continually seek more ways to increase this.

Methylphenidate- As it works by blocking the release of dopamine your mind is continually in a state of satisfaction- it's using what it's got there and then instead of waiting for this unnatural flow of dopamine to fulfill your needs.

Just my 2 cents/pence/rupees/euros

Abcdef
10-31-15, 10:43 PM
Lots of views but no feedback.

Remember this is just my opinion on the matter, feel free to agree or disagree or call bs!

How did each med impact your drinking urges?

Unmanagable
10-31-15, 11:05 PM
I drank rather heavily and frequently up until l I was diagnosed and medicated at age 43. Adderall IR was what I was prescribed.

It was my way of unwinding, chilling out, celebrating, pacifying pain, and being able to engage others with no holding back....which didn't always turn out well.....and unfortunately, alcohol is also one hell of a memory eraser.

I had a brief trial with vyvanse, but it wasn't very pleasant and was very short term. Wellbutrin was prescribed in addition to the adderall for a bit, too. I continued to drink sparingly.

My urge to drink lessened greatly, once I found the most effective therapeutic dose of adderall, to just having one or two with a meal or a few socially. And as I learned more about the effects of combining food with alcohol and other innards related stuff, I stopped drinking altogether.

Delphine
10-31-15, 11:32 PM
Maybe this is off topic. Ignore if so.

No experience with meds and alcohol - sorry- (because not yet on meds) ....and am usually 'the designated driver' in social situations so that tends to be a natural inhibitor of general alcohol intake. (Also, I often like to be the sober driver and have my car so I can leave if I need to.)

But sometimes I love if someone else takes on that role - and in those times when I am not 'the designated driver' - I notice a curious thing with alcohol.

I can take several, or lots, of glasses of wine without any significant outcome!!! I feel merry, upbeat, more good humoured than normal.....I like it..... but most people around me, even non-drinkers, do not particularly notice that I've had anything much to drink!!!

I am fairly upbeat enough in social situations (those I do not avoid; I avoid plenty).... but when I do join in and drink along at parties...... nobody seems to notice, and I can keep up with the best of them without much apparent impact.

Perhaps I sing a bit more, or joke a little bit more.... but not a lot more than usual. And I can sober up in a whisper if someone in the party needs someone to be there for them.

Is that an ADHD thing? Have always found it curious....

Delphine
10-31-15, 11:38 PM
To add to above post -
I mean..... is it normal, or an ADHD thing, to be able to sometimes drink plenty of wine (alcohol) without appearing as if you've done so...? Doesn't happen for me a lot.... once a month if that.... but friends who are drinking the same amount as me are always far more noticeably impacted than me.... :) And yet, all in all, I drink far less than them in any given week.....

Abcdef
11-01-15, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your input :)

I suppose it's a lot about re-training your brain to get used to these situations without.

However, I feel like dex has almost made it harder sometimes.

I'm seriously considering going back to the dark side of Concerta...if a lil bit of anxiety keeps these urges in check then maybe it is worth it.

Because I know this drinking game is life wasting....one night of booze-ruins the next three and no med can ever change that.

I'll resurrect this thread when I have something to report back....I think I've bamboozled the rest with my mad scientific explanations :eyebrow:

Delphine
11-01-15, 12:02 AM
Yet, when I do drink quite a bit, or even lots more than them..... I still seem to be 'the sober one'.... how is that?

Delphine
11-01-15, 12:11 AM
Okey doe Abcdef....
I fear I have cross threaded your input with my addition and I didn't mean to do that.

Maybe people will maybe still post according to your original query?!. Jumped in too quickly!!

Hopefully it hasn't stomped on your question..... :o

Abcdef
11-01-15, 12:45 AM
Sorry I never actually seen your posts because it took me so damn long to write mine lol.

Brb

Abcdef
11-01-15, 01:13 AM
Delphine-

I wouldn't says this is an adhd thing.

It shows that you are responsible and do not like to take risks...for one.

By the sounds of it you have an outgoing, bubbly personality :) matched with a possible high tolerance for alcohol which would make things less noticeable to people around you.

Sorry about the bad timing of the posts, I chopped and changed what I was wanting to say and in the end it took forever for me to write.

Feel free to jump in anytime :D

TangledWebs
11-01-15, 04:55 AM
When I was initially trying to stop drinking entirely, Adderall XR would increase my impulsive urges to drink alcohol for sure. I've been sober for months now and those urges have disappeared regardless of whether or not I'm on Adderall XR. I don't drink at all, so the temptation is gone.

Abcdef
11-01-15, 05:53 AM
When I was initially trying to stop drinking entirely, Adderall XR would increase my impulsive urges to drink alcohol for sure. I've been sober for months now and those urges have disappeared regardless of whether or not I'm on Adderall XR. I don't drink at all, so the temptation is gone.

Thanks for this!

I know it's mainly all about making your brain forget about these temptations..something only time and abstinence can cure.

But I'm at the early stages and have been for a while- on and off and it's damn hard...all it takes is a trigger memory and that's it!

Maybe a month of Concerta would help and then back on old faithful once the urges have faded.

I'm feeling quiet positive now, ta :)

switcher25
11-01-15, 07:10 AM
I Think that Aderall like other amphetamine medication are more euphoric than methylphenidate _ It's just my idea I didn't use this kind medictation before _ so It may let other drugs as alcohol more pleasant.
Or as you say you can't stop yourself thinking about alcohol that may be explained by psychological addiction to alcohol.

Delphine
11-01-15, 10:19 AM
Sorry I never actually seen your posts because it took me so damn long to write mine lol.

Brb

:) think I was in jitterbug mode, jumping in all over the place!.

I'm interested in your replies re meds and alcohol. I do have a high tolerance; haven't started meds yet and imagine that alcohol would be contra-indicated to ADHD meds.
I would be great if there was one that would diminish the desire for alcohol altogether!

Abcdef
11-01-15, 10:55 AM
Well with you in jitterbug mode and me in snail mode it's was a recipey for disaster lol

Yeah that would be good, unfortunately there is only those things that make you violently sick...brutal!

Delphine
11-01-15, 11:31 AM
Well with you in jitterbug mode and me in snail mode it's was a recipey for disaster lol

Yeah that would be good, unfortunately there is only those things that make you violently sick...brutal!

:lol:Hahaha! Sounds like a little story.... the snail and the jitterbug...:)

Abcdef
11-01-15, 12:34 PM
I'm sure we could write one now that we are certified Verbal-linguistic's :lol:

Clilback
11-09-15, 11:28 PM
Strattera hasn't made me drink less, except I fall asleep earlier, so I suppose that helps.

i41agree
04-06-16, 08:26 PM
After 17 years of killing myself and ruining myself 24 hours a day with alcohol, I just suffered though 9 months of self-imposed sobriety. I got through it, but I constantly felt uncomfortable and tempted to drink again.
Last week I was diagnosed with ADHD and started 20mg Ritalin daily - against all the warnings from doctors, parents, the internet, and hell, even the drug's own monograph saying not to give it to alcoholics. (Yes, my doctor is fully aware that I'm an alcoholic.)
Since I started taking it, the thought of drinking has become both ridiculous and repulsive. It's only been a week, but it's constant. Zero desire to drink. After 17 years of struggling with addiction, freedom from the ADHD symptoms is just an added bonus!
I know there's a chance that I may overuse and/or become dependent on the Ritalin.
What many others will never understand is that I'm 100% willing to take that chance in exchange for freedom from a crippling mental condition and death from alcohol self-medication.
Cross your fingers...

sarahsweets
04-07-16, 02:20 AM
against all the warnings from doctors, parents, the internet, and hell, even the drug's own monograph saying not to give it to alcoholics. (Yes, my doctor is fully aware that I'm an alcoholic.)
You have a good doctor. Good doctors know that the risk of substance abuse is higher for people with adhd, especially untreated adhd. There is tons of research to back up treating addicts vs telling them they are too dangerous to give stimulants to.

I know there's a chance that I may overuse and/or become dependent on the Ritalin.
What many others will never understand is that I'm 100% willing to take that chance in exchange for freedom from a crippling mental condition and death from alcohol self-medication.
Cross your fingers...
What makes you say that? I am an alcoholic in recovery and I have been on stimulants for over 10 years. Ive only been sober 3 years and for me, the meds combined with a 12 step program are what worked. Never abused them or felt the need to. With addicts we need to address why we want to use mood altering substances and work on our innards instead of just using white knuckle abstinence.

i41agree
04-07-16, 04:58 PM
Thank you for your support Sarah. I really appreciate it.
I was feeling really insecure about trying this because I feel like the whole world it predicting that I will just "trade one addiction for another".
I know it's only been a week, but I just have this constant "too good to be true" feeling.
Fingers crossed!