View Full Version : Motion Sickness 5 year old - medicine side effects

bhaibhai
11-02-15, 10:05 AM
My 5 year old girl has motion sickness and sensory issues. I am very skeptic of these motion sickness tablets and will prefer using them for my kid only for very long journeys 5+ hours. However my wife has been giving her these medicines for even short rides in car.

The kid sleeps during the journey, is extremely drowsy and cranky afterwards.
I am more concerned about any other side effects.

The tablets I am talking about are :
Dramamine (ingredient Dimenhydrinate)
Phenergan (ingredient promethazine)

If anyone has any experience or any reference to any clinical study please reply.

Lunacie
11-02-15, 12:20 PM
My 5 year old girl has motion sickness and sensory issues. I am very skeptic of these motion sickness tablets and will prefer using them for my kid only for very long journeys 5+ hours. However my wife has been giving her these medicines for even short rides in car.

The kid sleeps during the journey, is extremely drowsy and cranky afterwards.
I am more concerned about any other side effects.

The tablets I am talking about are :
Dramamine (ingredient Dimenhydrinate)
Phenergan (ingredient promethazine)

If anyone has any experience or any reference to any clinical study please reply.

Fortunately although I do have severe sensory issues, motion sickness isn't one of them.

I had a friend once who had it. I seem to remember her chewing gum on car trips.

That would less sedating so worth a try?

Fuzzy12
11-02-15, 12:30 PM
I used to get horrible motion sickness as a kid. It's slightly better now but still a problem. When I was a bit older, maybe late teens or early twenties I started taking avomine (promethazine). They work a treat for motion sickness but they did completely knock me out. I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes open for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure about any other side effects or if it's different in a young child. A few other things that help me:

-Sit in the front (not sure if she'd be allowed to at 5 years) or in the rear middle seat and stare ahead (not out the side windows)
-Sleep (as a young kid I trained myself to fall asleep as soon as the car started moving. I still struggle to keep my eyes open in any moving vehicle. It does help with motion sickness though).
-Coke
-Ginger
-Very light, non-fatty meal before the journey. Sometimes chewing dry bread or biscuits during the journey helps as well
-don't try to read (or browse phone/ipad, etc)

stef
11-02-15, 12:40 PM
Please, don't not give her anything. My husband has terrible motion sickness due to one eye being stronger than the other. He feels awful for at least an hour afterwards. (we don't have a car but if we unexpectedly get a ride somewhere, it's terrible! it depends on the person driving and the road). He takes dramaine if we know there is a car ride. I hope you find the right med and even a few side effects would be better than getting over motion sickness (if it's as severe as I'm describing).

Corina86
11-02-15, 02:43 PM
I've done a quick google search and there's lots of useful information on drugs.com

The second drug seems to have more dangerous side-effects and more interactions.

Also, is your daughter on any sort of other meds? I'm asking this because Concerta is making me far far more prone to motion sickness than I usually am.