View Full Version : GAD, ADD, and Vyvanse

soccerdads
11-02-15, 07:30 PM
I just wanted to compile everything I've kind of experienced and learned while on 30mg Vyvanse with ADD and GAD, both for me, and anyone else experiences the same things I am. I started Vyvanse in August for ADD, and I am a 19 year old female in university.

While on Vyvanse, I am able to focus on one task until completion. I can socialize with people without feeling lost and I overall feel like I no long lack motivation to do things that I want to do. For example, before being diagnosed, I would not be able to keep my room clean no matter what. I wanted to, and I didn't enjoy having a messy room, but there was no way I could stay focused on the task for long enough to actually get it done, and keep it that way. On my medication, I am able to set my mind to the things I want to do, and just do them.

My side effects include lack of appetite, sleep issues, irritability during crashes, and some rage issues related to the irritability. When I crash, it is about 8-10 hours after taking it, and I become extremely irritable, tired, distracted, and sometimes anxious. Also some memory loss/ dream state happens with me. Like certain days or events just feel like dreams, or not 'real.'

In terms of anxiety, Vyvanse increases my anxiety nearly every time I take it. Less in an attack kind of way, and more of a baseline, general worry kind of way. It makes me feel like I should always be doing something and that there is always something to be done. This is not always a bad thing, but can get annoying when there truly is nothing I need to be doing with my time and I just want to relax. My GAD is focused on social situations, so when I'm on Vyvanse, I find myself planning social interactions, etc, to a higher degree than I normally would. Overall, though, it is not so big of an issue that it makes me not want to take Vyvanse anymore.

It is also worth noting that the last time I drank on Vyvanse, I took it at about 4pm (instead of my usual 12pm, so that I could stay up later and avoid crashing during my party) and I had about 4/5 drinks from 9pm-1am. This is a very normal amount for me, and I often drink more than that at a house party, but I remember very little of the night. I remember having certain conversations and feelings, if that makes sense, but no specifics. I recall being in different places in my house, with not recollection of how I traveled to and from those places. I remember things from later in the night, but not from the that 4ish hour time space.

I've definitely learned some ways to deal with the side effects.
1. EAT EAT EAT. Eat when you're hungry and eat when you're not hungry. I currently have a 2 hour schedule for eating, where even if I'm not hungry and don't want to eat, I have a snack (usually something whole like almonds, fruit, chicken). This is reduced my crashes significantly, as well as the general anxiety. There is nothing worse than not eating all day, and then experiencing a crash from the Vyvanse on top of a crash from not eating all day.

2. Similarly, drink toooonnnnssss of water. I aim for at least 3L per day. Kind of like the food, you don't always realize how thirsty you are until you're crashing with the worst headache of your life.

3. Sleeping is also super important. Now that I'm on the meds, I'm actually able to stick to a bedtime that I set for myself, so I try to get 9 hours a night. This is just what I've found to be my ideal time, but it really helps me with all the side effects I experience. I have not noticed anything with caffeine aside from increased anxiety if I'm sitting still, which I have always felt after drinking massive amounts of coffee.

4. This may sound a bit strange, but I like to make sure I have things to do when I know I'll be feeling the most effects from the medication. It's not that I use them in order to study or clean, but if I know I have chores to do, I try to leave them for the afternoon, when I know I'll be antsy to get stuff done and be productive.

5. I think this one is pretty obvious, but don't take them too late in the day. Even if I am dead exhausted, if I took my meds after 4pm, I won't be able to sleep until 3am. I just want to be up and around doing things. I have found, however, that smoking a small amount of certain substances is a way to get to sleep if I absolutely can't fall alseep. I won't smoke enough to feel the anxiety that comes with it, but it's enough to quiet my mind and let me fall asleep.

I think that's all I have in terms of experience to share, and I hope any of the things I figured out can help someone else. I'd love to hear other people's experience on Vyvanse as well. Does the general increased anxiety ever go away? How do you deal with crashes?