View Full Version : 17 year old friend struggling with substance abuse

HolypunkfAce
11-05-15, 11:57 AM
Last night he took 80 mg of adderall xr and it was his first time. He felt like his legs were weights, and he kept shaking and sweating and felt numb and talked really slurred and weird. Did he od?

He has struggled with substance problems for a while, he has gone to drinking and smoking weed to doing cocaine and taking adderall/ Xanax. I am very concerned for him and need to know how to
Help him.

sarahsweets
11-05-15, 06:06 PM
Call 911. That will help.

Rattie
11-28-15, 05:01 PM
Dont call 911 or get your friend in any kind of trouble. You could risk ruining his life.

Here is some advice you can give him: xanax and alcohol can be deadly when combined. If he insists on abusing substances tell him to take multiple smaller dosages within the time span of around an hour rather than one large dose. That would lower the risk of overdosing.

Does he take the adderall for medical reasons on a daily basis or is he just buying it through dealers? How much does he usually take?

Lunacie
11-28-15, 07:49 PM
Last night he took 80 mg of adderall xr and it was his first time. He felt like his legs were weights, and he kept shaking and sweating and felt numb and talked really slurred and weird. Did he od?

He has struggled with substance problems for a while, he has gone to drinking and smoking weed to doing cocaine and taking adderall/ Xanax. I am very concerned for him and need to know how to
Help him.

If there is a chance he has ADHD or any mental disorder, encourage him to see a doctor and get a diagnosis and proper treatment.

Tell him to go to Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous meetings ... or to both.

There really isn't much you can do to help him unless he wants to help himself.

And consider going to an AlAnon or Alateen support group yourself. They'll be better able to listen to you and support you.

sarahsweets
11-29-15, 06:28 AM
Dont call 911 or get your friend in any kind of trouble. You could risk ruining his life.

Here is some advice you can give him: xanax and alcohol can be deadly when combined. If he insists on abusing substances tell him to take multiple smaller dosages within the time span of around an hour rather than one large dose. That would lower the risk of overdosing.

Does he take the adderall for medical reasons on a daily basis or is he just buying it through dealers? How much does he usually take?

Telling someone not to call 911 because it might ruin their life is irresponsible. No one should be afraid of medical help because they would get in trouble. This is why so many heroin users die. They are with their friends and when they overdose their friends are afraid to get them help because they fear getting the police involved. This is why NJ passed the good samaritain law.

Fortune
11-29-15, 09:05 AM
Washington state also has a good samaritan law.

i41agree
04-06-16, 12:52 PM
No don't call 911 after the fact. If he's using and you're honestly worried about his life, of course call 911. But is he's obviously okay, calling 911 is going to get him in trouble, probably ruin your friendship (which he might need), and from my experience, do NOTHING to address his actual addiction.

Jiberish
04-25-16, 12:59 PM
I would call 911. They will most likely not ticket him, or take him to an ER. Their are laws with HIPPA in regards to telling the police. At that young of an age, he could get into a rehab to get him on a better path.

In college I had to call my good friends dad because he was locking himself in a room with a half gallon of vodka. He still thanks me to this day. He now is a cop, helping others especially with drug abuse. Might seem like a bad Idea, but he will most likely thank you later.

Rebelyell
05-01-16, 08:57 PM
Years ago I knew a kid, he was at a party in nj,this chick od they carried her/dragged her down the street cause they all had rap sheets, kid of the house would of gone to jail for another drug rap ,then they called 911.I thought it was really messed up,I wasn't anywhere near the party.I would of called the paramedics if I thought a friend was in a bad way not that I really have many.To this day I don't know how I never used drugs when my associates at the time all did drugs an bad things stole shoplifted etc had rap sheets.

Johaan547
05-10-16, 12:10 AM
I can give you some advice as I have been through the situation as yours. My son was an opiate addict along with major depression and PTSD. When he first went to rehab he was completely against talking in groups. But the comprehensive treatment program(Bellwood Health Services - Alcohol & Drug Addiction – Comprehensive Treatment Program) helped to see a brief period of sober life in him. I hope that you find a solution and get him some help.