View Full Version : User's Guide to the Brain: Attention, Perception, and the Four Theaters of the Brain

Way Too Flighty
04-30-05, 03:52 PM
Has anyone read a User's Guide to the Brian: Attention, Perception, and the Four Theaters of the Brain? It's by John Ratey, one of the coauthors of Driven to Distraction, Solutions to Distraction, and the latest Delivered From Distraction.

I just flipped through what I could see on Amazon.com, and it sounded like it might be insightful for those of us happy to delve into heavy tracts on the nature of neurological function. (Or in my case, delve into, get up, pace around, delve back into, get up, jump around a little, delve back into.... you get the picture! ;) )

Anyone read it? Any thoughts on it?

Imnapl
04-30-05, 04:03 PM
(Or in my case, delve into, get up, pace around, delve back into, get up, jump around a little, delve back into.... you get the picture! ;) )
Hey, your learning strategy makes perfect sense to me! :cool:
Thanks for the book.

Way Too Flighty
04-30-05, 05:45 PM
Hey, your learning strategy makes perfect sense to me! :cool:
Thanks for the book.

HA HA Ha Ha HA HA !!! Lmnapl, it is hardly a STRATEGY! It is something I do and hardly realize I am doing it! I definitely did not develop this behavioral pattern on purpose, and I am not even attentive to the fact that I am getting up and pacing around until I see someone looking at me funny! :D

ClearConfusion
05-01-05, 11:08 AM
(Or in my case, delve into, get up, pace around, delve back into, get up, jump around a little, delve back into.... you get the picture! ;) )
Ha ha! This is me too. When I lived with my parents I would, for example, walk around the table I was sitting and reading at; around and around. Can't do that now; not enough space. I also hold imaginary discussions on the subject.

Thanks for the tip!

Way Too Flighty
05-01-05, 12:12 PM
Ha ha! This is me too. When I lived with my parents I would, for example, walk around the table I was sitting and reading at; around and around. Can't do that now; not enough space. I also hold imaginary discussions on the subject.

Thanks for the tip!
It's so funny that you guys thought I was giving such a great tip; to me it was just a sidenote about something that I do that I can't really help doing!

ClearConfusion, your pacing around the table reminds me of how I finally managed to read Homer's The Illiad. We had to read The Illiad and The Odyssey as summer reading before my sophomore year of high school. I have always loved to read, but I HATED these books. I'd spend an hour and a half reading a page because I couldn't focus because I hated it so much. Finally, I figure out that if I paced around the square perimeter of a vacant room on the vacant upper floor of a small building my dad was renting, I could get through that dang Iliad. :)

But really, back to the subject of the thread. Has anyone read The User's Guide to the Brain? I didn't mean to recommend it, what I meant to say was that I have heard of it and I wanted to know if anyone else is familiar with it and would recommend it? Thanks.