View Full Version : Meds wearing off at night....driving and job?

LilysGrama
11-06-15, 12:09 AM
Hi....I am new here. We have a 17 year old son who has taken ADHD medication since he was 6.......he takes Vyvanse and it probably wears off about 7 PM.

He is starting to drive and will be getting his license in 3 months, and he has starting applying for jobs.

I am nervous about him driving and/or working later in the evening with his medication wearing off. I asked his doctor about it and he kind of shrugged it off.

Anyone have any insight? Am I worrying over nothing? Thanks!

ADHDsim
11-06-15, 12:47 AM
Hmmm, I'd say it depends on the severity of which he feels when the medication wears off.

Everyone is different, I myself actually wake up more when my medication wears off at night, but I am not him.

As for distractibility it's neither here or there, personally I hyperfocus when I drive especially at night (it's relaxing)

It comes down to how your son judges the situation. He will know best, naturally night time driving isn't the safest in general, it's his call.

Polymorphed
11-06-15, 01:24 AM
I tend to agree with ADHDsim, but it's worth pointing out that different people function at different levels when off meds. My wife off meds is a car-insurance nightmare. Myself, I'm hyper-vigilant off the meds and arguably a better driver haha I seem to have the processing power to take in all the distractions without actually becoming distracted. My wife, on the other hand ... will often gaze out the side window at an animal she noticed and begin veering in that direction. Not so safe!

So really, it comes down to your son's judgement.

Personally, I sometimes take another dose at 6-7pm (roughly when the last dose is wearing off) when I know I'll have challenging tasks ahead or maybe it's just a Friday or Saturday and I want to be productive after the kids go to bed. This can come with a cost on one's ability to sleep, so keep that in mind. I have a prescription of fast release quetiapine for such occasions where sleep is a problem.

acdc01
11-06-15, 07:31 AM
There are meds you can take as a supplement for the evenings that won't affect sleep.

That said, it really is about your son and his abilities. You'll have to see by watching him (I'd say listen to him but 17 year olds are always overconfident).

I'm a safety hazard. And at 17, well I'm not sure how I lived through that time except that I didn't drive all that much.

LilysGrama
11-06-15, 02:19 PM
Thanks all!

ccom5100
11-07-15, 07:40 PM
There are meds you can take as a supplement for the evenings that won't affect sleep.

That said, it really is about your son and his abilities. You'll have to see by watching him (I'd say listen to him but 17 year olds are always overconfident).

I'm a safety hazard. And at 17, well I'm not sure how I lived through that time except that I didn't drive all that much.

I also have a new teen driver and would like to know more about the meds you can take in the evening that won't affect sleep.
Thanks. :)

Polymorphed
11-09-15, 09:34 PM
I'm not really aware of supplements that offer a similar stimulatory effect as typical ADHD meds without any eurogic effects. However, one can take an extra evening dose of their normal stimulant medication and use a supplement to help one relax before bed.

L-Theanine is known to help diminish some of the hyper-stimulatory sensations without reducing clarity and focus and it is known to do the same to other stimulants. It will allow one to drink coffee without getting the jitters etc. for example.

There are quite a few other amino acid type nutritional supplements that can help. There are also quite a number of nootropics that can function as sleep aides, such as Phenibut, Picamillon etc.

One can also focus certain vit/min supplementation to the evening. Magnesium/Calcium is know to promote sleep, for example.

Then of course, there are medications that help. Benzos, GABAgernics, Choline enzyme inhibitors etc.