View Full Version : How the hell does one find the right dosage for Dex?

ak2146
11-08-15, 03:33 PM
Hi all,

How the hell does one find 'the right dosage' or 'sweet spot' for dexamphatamine sulfate? I still have not been able to do that after being on dex for 3 years!

Really confused!

Regards,

Ak2146.

aeon
11-08-15, 03:42 PM
Through the process called titration.

Perhaps dextroamphetamine sulfate is not the med for you, regardless of dosage.

Cheers,
Ian

ADHDsim
11-08-15, 09:54 PM
Hey,
Yep it's not easy especially if you are taking instant release dex.

With IR I sometimes had to go a little too high to get a longer period of normal or stay lower longer to avoid going too high. Essentially it was up and down.

Dex spansuals is like taking an entirely different medicine all together. It just flat lines where I like It.

IR sucks, it's a complete game trying to stay at a constant normal.

ADHDsim
11-08-15, 10:06 PM
For what it's worth, if your stimulation seeking, lots of coffee, thrill seeking then you are too low. If you are hyperfocusing then you are too high.

A good rule of thumb I use is what type of music id like to listen too right now.

If it's Ataxia3 ultra complex rhythmic metal then I'm too low (stim seeking)

If it's Gin blossoms and the wallflowers I'm at a good calm doseage.

If it's moonlight sonata then I'm in a weird pleasant ultra calm state :/ (weekend calm)

If I'm too high then I start changing songs every minute... Nothing is good.

dvdnvwls
11-08-15, 10:16 PM
In a nutshell, here's how:

If you ever take a dose with unacceptable side effects, cancel that dosage immediately and return to the previous one.

Quit caffeine and wait 3 days for it to be completely out of your system.

Start at a dose that's obviously going to be much too low, intentionally.

Stay on this much-too-low dose for at least 5 days - longer is better. Five days is the bare minimum already; don't reduce it for any reason. Monitor all effects, good and bad. Keep detailed notes.

Only if necessary, after the minimum of five days and preferably a week or more, raise the dosage by one notch. (i.e. move to whatever is the manufacturer's next dosage, even if you are sure it won't be enough.) Again with each new dose, do not even consider switching dosages until a minimum of 5 days has passed, and continue to keep detailed notes.

You want maximum good effects from a minimum dose. You need to leave room for potential later dosage increases. If you aim for a high dose and then need more, many doctors will refuse to prescribe outside the children's dosage guidelines, so it's better to stay as low as possible.

ak2146
11-11-15, 05:02 PM
I think that you are right, Ian. 5mg makes me hypermanic and starts affecting my speech. Maybe, Dex is not for me. Thanks.

adhdseeker
11-24-15, 05:30 PM
Hmm,.... I am trying to find my right Dexedrine dosage as well. I think if I take a full 10mgs ER of Dex, it's too much but hard to tell... I switch from activity to activity. But I think I am more observant of my surroundings and less "in my head." Generally I pour a little bit out... and that makes me happy and content but less observant of surroundings. hmm..

adhdseeker
11-25-15, 04:31 AM
Update -- never mind!! I took more and when it fully kicked in, everything cleared up. i still wonder if i'm on too much... i'm more hyper less calm, but external sensations are coming in very clear. yay titration.

Pilgrim
11-25-15, 10:41 AM
It depends what I'm doing so I plan as precisely as I can. I had an instruction exam with heavy machinery that took all day, so l had as much as I needed to focus.

My rule of thumb is as long no distress is present in my thinking I am happy. I monitor it constantly.