View Full Version : What's the verdict on Windows 10?

Greyhound1
11-09-15, 07:06 PM
Just purchased a new desk top computer with Windows 10. I have no experience with it and it seems much different.

Just curious what others think of it.

Abi
11-09-15, 07:07 PM
I like it

Its better than 8 / 8.1

midnightstar
11-09-15, 07:08 PM
It works well on my laptop, I find it's a right pain on my phone though.

Greyhound1
11-09-15, 07:20 PM
I will still only use my phone for the forum. I have used it here since day 1 and can't imagine using a real keyboard and mouse here. I am ten time faster typing with my thumbs and it seems so much easier than using the computer.

Socaljaxs
11-09-15, 07:24 PM
I like it Its better than 8 / 8.1
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::D

It's easier to operate than the old windows 8/ 8.1... Windows which is what I've always used, and never had problems with but Windows 8 was just a nightmare for me,... I still find myself doing more business and play time on the iPad and may go mac in the future, but Windows 10 is much better than the 8 was user friendly wise IMO

midnightstar
11-09-15, 07:27 PM
Windows 8 was a serious pain in the derriere, even this laptop had issues with it when I got it brand new :eyebrow:

dvdnvwls
11-09-15, 07:34 PM
I like it

Its better than 8 / 8.1
Here's my opinion...

Microsoft always wants everybody to use the latest version, and will always do what they can to make life easier for those who do and more difficult for those who don't.

Therefore, IMO always use the latest version, unless your machine won't run it (or unless that new version is very bad, which has certainly happened within recent memory).

And when a "real computer person" such as Abi says he likes the new one, it's highly unlikely for it to be very bad.

So... IMO that settles it in favour of Windows 10. If you're going to use Windows. :)

Socaljaxs
11-09-15, 07:40 PM
Windows 8 was a serious pain in the derriere, even this laptop had issues with it when I got it brand new :eyebrow:

Me too! :umm1::umm1: I thought maybe it was just my laptop also, I purchased a new HP when touchscreenfirst came to retail mainstream) and Windows 8 just showed up... My thought at first was it being one of the none of the first hp touchscreen models, as to the reason why it was not functioning as well as a new laptop should. But nope it was the Windows program. I still have that pc though the screen is cracked and now only use it for traveling with.. But ugh Windows 8 hurt..

What phone do you use with Windows on it?

midnightstar
11-09-15, 07:42 PM
Me too! :umm1::umm1: I thought maybe it was just my laptop also, I purchased a new HP when touchscreenfirst came to retail mainstream) and Windows 8 just showed up... My thought at first was it being one of the none of the first hp touchscreen models, as to the reason why it was not functioning as well as a new laptop should. But nope it was the Windows program. I still have that pc though the screen is cracked and now only use it for traveling with.. But ugh Windows 8 hurt..

What phone do you use with Windows on it?

Nokia Luminia (sp)

:grouphug:

acdc01
11-10-15, 05:52 PM
I'm one of the minority who loves windows 8/8.1 and decided to uninstall windows 10 after playing with it for a while.

It's cause my laptop has a touchscreen which I use a lot. I think a lot of things about windows 10 just aren't as touchscreen friendly.

Like those small icons on the new version of internet explorer (I think it's called edge but can't remember). Buttons so small I can't stand it when trying to use it with touch.

I also loved how I could just swipe the screen to switch between programs. I know swipe still brings up a switch program choice but I liked the one it was set up in 8.1 a lot more.

Gilthranon
11-10-15, 08:00 PM
It's cool but Windows seems to be indecisive between the 'settings' windows and old school windows. Also I miss the fancy gadgets and aero

FogNoggin
11-11-15, 01:50 PM
Here's my opinion...

Microsoft always wants everybody to use the latest version, and will always do what they can to make life easier for those who do and more difficult for those who don't.

Which is why when my (Geez can't remember*) version of windows died, I vowed not to go buy Vista, so I've been using Linux since 2007.

I don't know why I am in this thread.

*XP

dvdnvwls
11-11-15, 02:08 PM
Which is why when my (Geez can't remember*) version of windows died, I vowed not to go buy Vista, so I've been using Linux since 2007.

I don't know why I am in this thread.

*XP
That's why I added "If you're going to use Windows" at the end of my post. :) I've been using Linux for a long time. If you're not a serious gamer, and you don't need to run a specialized Windows-only application, and you don't have Windows compatibility requirements for work or school (which are often silly and usually easy to work around), then there's no need for Windows.

In the early 90s, Linux was a pain for most people to install, and was not as easy to use as Windows. Those problems are gone now. Linux is just as good for day-to-day use as Windows is. Both still have their problems and their inconveniences, but in roughly the same amounts.

optimismhitting
01-19-17, 11:04 PM
The last I heard there was a huge update that irked people who has that OS.

jkimbo
01-19-17, 11:49 PM
It's Microsoft, what do you expect? A rock solid OS? LOL

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 11:58 PM
Windows 7 Ultimate.... No other windows operating system compares. :)

aeon
01-20-17, 12:03 AM
Windows 7 Ultimate.... No other windows operating system compares. :)

I could not have said it better myself.

Win7 4Evah! :yes:

Cheers,
Ian

Fraser_0762
01-20-17, 12:07 AM
I've got 2 laptops, one with Windows 7 and the other with Windows 10. I'm using the Windows 10 one right now and i'm defo going to upgrade it to Windows 7. :yes:
(Like when I upgraded Vista to XP)

aeon
01-20-17, 12:11 AM
(Like when I upgraded Vista to XP)

WinXP, the other gold standard.

Basically, Microsoft gets it right every other release.

Cheers,
Ian

Fraser_0762
01-20-17, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I remember when I recieved a vista installation DVD (unlike the standard CD used for XP) and thought.... this is gonna be great! It must be packed full of great features!

Oh god, how wrong was I.....

psychopathetic
01-20-17, 12:18 AM
I like it, though I've only used it a tiny bit.

Anytime I have to spend more than 10 minutes on windows though, I start missing my Mac.

Fraser_0762
01-20-17, 12:24 AM
*Don't hate me* but the last mac I used was an Apple Mac computer back in the mid 90's when I was only about 5 or 6. We had one in the class room and I remember inserting the huge floppy disks into the drive and entering all of the boot up commands, just so I could be in 8bit game heaven. lol

aeon
01-20-17, 12:25 AM
*Don't hate me* but the last mac I used was an Apple Mac computer back in the mid 90's when I was only about 5 or 6. We had one in the class room and I remember inserting the huge floppy disks into the drive and entering all of the boot up commands, just so I could be in 8bit game heaven. lol

That must have been an Apple ][ of some sort.

Yes, I still have mine. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Fraser_0762
01-20-17, 12:30 AM
Talking about bits.... anybody remember the old bit wars between the gaming consoles during the 90's? People were going crazy comparing 16, 32 and (supposedly 64 bit) consoles. But clearly had no idea what it all actually meant.

Little Missy
01-20-17, 10:26 AM
I hate W10. What a load of continually changing crap. Every day practically something looks different or isn't how it was. Honestly, I'm ready to take my old XP tower to someone and have it re-built. :eyebrow:

Fraser_0762
01-20-17, 10:27 AM
Parition your hard drive and install windows XP on to the new partition. :)

Little Missy
01-20-17, 10:38 AM
Parition your hard drive and install windows XP on to the new partition. :)

I don't think its worth it. I'm using laptops at my house and at LOL's that are getting old. I'd rather pay some computer guy to fix the hard drive on the old tower and have everything how it was. Can that even be done?:confused:

Fraser_0762
01-20-17, 10:42 AM
I don't think its worth it. I'm using laptops at my house and at LOL's that are getting old. I'd rather pay some computer guy to fix the hard drive on the old tower and have everything how it was. Can that even be done?:confused:

Repairing a dysfunctional hard drive is like trying to repair an ADD mind, it ain't going to happen. :lol:

You can reformat the hard drive giving it a fresh wipe, assuming it doesn't contain loads of bad sectors.

Johnny Slick
01-20-17, 11:54 AM
Honestly, it's like 300 times better than 8.1 and at this point, between 7 and 10, I'm okay with either one. I use 7 at work and 10 at home. Each have their own foibles.

acdc01
01-23-17, 08:56 PM
After having Win 10 for a very long time now, I've decided I like it and MS did a good job.

I was able to make Win 10 function pretty similar to Win 8.1 for me and my sister (both whom prefer 8.1 the most as we have a touchscreen laptop) and make it appear as close to Win 7 for my sister's boyfriend who doesn't like using a touchscreen and doesn't like change in general so wants Win 7 back. Win 10 is quite customizable.

Sister and boyfriend seem satisfied enough though both still cry for their old OS versions back as Win 10 can't mirror the old OSs perfectly. I swear, it's impossible for MS to satisfy everyone.

I used to get way more viruses and bugs back in my Windows 7 days and I rarely get any now even though I still do the same stuff with my laptop. Bootup is super fast. I absolutely love touchscreen and the ability to draw stuff on my laptop which apple doesn't have unless you go for a powerless ipad.

All in all, I personally think Win 10 is a winner.

Fraser_0762
01-23-17, 09:00 PM
How do you put up with the 3 hour updates? (That completely ignores your update settings) That's all I ever get with Windows 10. Never had a problem like that with Windows 7 and I download a lot of ****.

Little Missy
01-23-17, 10:01 PM
How do you put up with the 3 hour updates? (That completely ignores your update settings) That's all I ever get with Windows 10. Never had a problem like that with Windows 7 and I download a lot of ****.

Its a great big hairy mess and it does whatever it wants to whenever it wants to.

acdc01
01-24-17, 10:41 AM

You're still getting 3 hour updates? I don't seem to be getting updates that interrupt me that frequently or long anymore. I thought MS was trying to cut down due to the number of complaints in the beginning (when I do remember long updates). Feels to me like most updating on my laptop happens in the background or when I turn off my laptop. They can take as long as they want when I turn the laptop off as I've already set my laptop aside anyway so maybe I just don't notice how long it takes. The updates at startup seem to happen very quickly for me.

Little Missy
01-24-17, 10:59 AM
Every Single Day they change the opening photo to somewhere in some ungodly place I despise and ask, "Do you like this?" :eyebrow:

Little Missy
01-24-17, 11:01 AM
They quit asking for feedback when I typed up unearthly diatribes of filthy invective for them and read every other filthily typed up invectives from everyone else underneath me.
I suppose it may have worn them down. There will be more, I'm sure.

acdc01
01-24-17, 01:57 PM
Hmm, I don't get any of the issues you have Little Missy. I'm guessing the difference is your settings. I actually went to settings and went through every single option they had (which was a ton) and set everything the way I wanted it. I did that with Win 7 too so maybe that's why I don't feel a difference. Perhaps the autosettings with Win 7 are better. Autosettings seem to be something apple does way better than MS.

If you don't want to go through all the setting options, you might try settings/system/notifications and then just adjust notifications to be what you want. Also, check out settings/personalization and the options within that area. Maybe if you set a certain picture for your background and lock screen and turn off any "tips" it should get rid of your photo issue. Not sure if that will solve your problems but that's a couple of the things I did and I don't have a problem. If that doesn't help you, maybe someone else knows what's going on.

Wuvmy3kitties
02-07-17, 10:04 AM
I don't mind Windows 10, but there are a few things I dislike. Like how they substituted the games with "trial" versions, making you sign up for a monthly subscription to some site or other. I uninstalled them and found a package of the old Windows 7 games, then installed those.

Same with Word and Excel. Instead of giving you the full versions you get a "trial" instead. Those got uninstalled and replaced with OpenOffice right off the bat.
I love freeware and open source programs, and try to support them as often as I can.

I'm still wondering if there is a way to see the documents/files you last accessed in a certain program in Windows 10, just like there was in Win 7. I miss that.

salleh
02-07-17, 11:37 AM
which came last Vista or 7 ? ......I liked them both ......I hated 8 with a passion, and 10 drives me nuts, but not as much as 8 .......

even so, I think, but I could easily be wrong, that your main whatever you call it can make a difference ....my friend Janet ( who I stay with in the winter) and I both hve 10 now, but she runs firefox ( foxfire ?) and I run chrome.....I think that's what I mean .....my computer knowledge has been won by just using a computer ......I'm old and didn't grow up with them .....I didn't hit the internet until about 10 years ago .....

...anyway, I can't figure out anything on her computer, she runs into problems and I can't help her cause I know how to do some stuff on mine but they don't translate over to hers.....we both use PCs.....

Wuvmy3kitties
02-08-17, 03:22 PM
which came last Vista or 7 ? ......I liked them both ......I hated 8 with a passion, and 10 drives me nuts, but not as much as 8 .......
Vista came out, followed by 7, followed by 8, and now 10.

My mom had Vista and it was a pain in the (ahem). I had 7 and I really liked it, though I missed some features of XP. Never had 8, although I've heard nothing good about it.
Still not crazy about 10.