View Full Version : How do I secure internet connection?

midnightstar
11-14-15, 02:12 PM
So nobody else can use it without permission?

Little Missy
11-14-15, 04:08 PM
Psycho will know. Or ask The Hound! :)

Pilgrim
11-14-15, 05:01 PM
Some type of access code. One way is to turn off access at modem, they will have given you a code for your signal. You keep it tell no one else.

dvdnvwls
11-14-15, 10:09 PM
Strategy #1: Turn it off. :)

Strategy #2: A difficult password is required to get a connection. If you had a password but you told it to the wrong people, get instructions on how to change your password.

midnightstar
11-15-15, 06:31 AM
My internet provider told me if I switch the internet box off it will affect the phone line

Abi
11-15-15, 06:42 AM
Star, come see me on Yahoo, we shall sort it out.

Little Missy
11-15-15, 06:42 AM
My internet provider told me if I switch the internet box off it will affect the phone line

Did you ask your internet provider?

midnightstar
11-15-15, 07:25 AM
Did you ask your internet provider?

Yes and they said switching the internet box off would upset the phone line.

Little Missy
11-15-15, 07:28 AM
Yes and they said switching the internet box off would upset the phone line.

I understand that but did you ask them how to secure your internet connection? Surely they will tell you how.

midnightstar
11-15-15, 07:32 AM
Star, come see me on Yahoo, we shall sort it out.

OK just logging in now thanks FAbiulous :grouphug:

midnightstar
11-15-15, 07:33 AM
I understand that but did you ask them how to secure your internet connection? Surely they will tell you how.

They said I got to plug the yellow wire thing into the laptop but the yellow wire doesn't seem to like the laptop :scratch:

*sits in corner wearing dunces hat*

Little Missy
11-15-15, 07:37 AM
They said I got to plug the yellow wire thing into the laptop but the yellow wire doesn't seem to like the laptop :scratch:

*sits in corner wearing dunces hat*

Then make a service call and they will come and do it for you. :)

midnightstar
11-15-15, 07:38 AM
Managed to coax laptop to accept the yellow wire (finally!)

But putting the wire in booted me off yahoo Abi :faint:

Little Missy
11-15-15, 07:39 AM
whoops, didn't see above. Abi will get it done for you!

midnightstar
11-15-15, 07:48 AM
I've contacted the internet provider directly, their website says it's possible to turn off wireless so in order to access my connection anyone would need to have the wire connecting their computer to my internet box :grouphug:

midnightstar
11-15-15, 08:01 AM
Wireless is off now so my connection can't be accessed without my permission again now :thankyou:everyone :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
11-15-15, 10:28 AM
Even with wireless you should be able to have password protected wifeless. :scratch:

mchclay
05-13-16, 11:51 AM
True, but the encryption is pretty easy to break over time. If someone has enough time (such as your neighbor) they can break it capturing enough packets using something Open Source like Wireshark.

midnightstar
05-13-16, 03:33 PM
True, but the encryption is pretty easy to break over time. If someone has enough time (such as your neighbor) they can break it capturing enough packets using something Open Source like Wireshark.

Is it possible to hack a wired connection? :faint:

aeon
05-13-16, 04:36 PM
Is it possible to hack a wired connection? :faint:

Yes, but without physically breaching your living space, it is difficult and requires very expensive equipment.

Cheers,
Ian

Mercurial
07-09-16, 06:28 AM
JMO, I turn off my wireless connection via device manager. Your wireless connection is only encrypted from start to end. During transmission your wireless signal can easily be intercepted.
Use WPA2 AES and at least a 28 multi-character pass when setting up your router if you wish to use a wireless connection. Turn off your SSID that broadcasts your visible identity and make sure your shared key is also Multi-character, something like this "b#e*f^mE*n#s@b" etc.

The average wireless router can be hacked into by a 10 year old using tools readily available on the web. A wired (RJ45) ethernet connection is your best bet for a secure connection.

Mercurial,
MCSE,CCNP, A+, and 30 years experience.

Laserbeak
07-09-16, 01:00 PM
Set up a VPN