View Full Version : Fired!

guffman44
11-18-15, 01:30 AM
How many of you have been fired (terminated is the business term) from a job? This makes 3-4 times for me. The last one I put great effort into...like 12 hour day effort, and still failed. I have had more than 25 jobs in my life (I'm 57) and over half have been fired or layoff. In one instance, I was the only one not kept from our group during an outsourcing. So I guess you could say that was performance related also.

So a lot of these layoffs have been in I.T. I'm starting to think that my A.D.D. is not a good fit for an I.T. career :-)

Mine is not the physically hyperactive type. My mind is hyper....and confused. Has anyone found a good source for what careers might be good for people with non-hyperactive A.D.D.? I'm kind of broke, kind of down, and kind of looking for a career change. My A.D.D. and problems with anxiety don't seem to fit with what I am doing now.

acdc01
11-18-15, 09:24 AM
Mine is not the physically hyperactive type. My mind is hyper....and confused. Has anyone found a good source for what careers might be good for people with non-hyperactive A.D.D.? I'm kind of broke, kind of down, and kind of looking for a career change. My A.D.D. and problems with anxiety don't seem to fit with what I am doing now.

What do you like doing? What do you enjoy is what's good for you. What weaknesses made you fail in the past and what are your strengths?

Are you taking meds?

guffman44
11-18-15, 12:51 PM
What do you like doing? What do you enjoy is what's good for you. What weaknesses made you fail in the past and what are your strengths?

Are you taking meds?

Do I like what I'm doing? I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it either. I really don't know what I enjoy. The only hobby I have is working out. It seems the jobs I do best at is where I get to move around some. The jobs I seem to do the worst at are when I am tied to a desk. Maybe it's just not the right desk job.

I tried a couple medications years ago. Ritalin worked for the first week or so, then turned me into a zombie. Dexedrine turned me even daffier than I am now. Then a couple years ago, a friends son let me try his Focalin. It got rid of the ear worms that constantly plague my brain. It made me a little hyper though. I didn't stick with it more than a couple days because of my source. Now I don't have medical coverage, so I guess I'm screwed on getting any meds for the time being. The only thing I take now is Prozac for anxiety.

Gilthranon
11-18-15, 01:36 PM
I was addicted to quitting before. Still sort of am, but been sacked 3 times. Technically. Usually at the same time both my supervisor and me share a similar feeling of discomfort and I just react quicker than the time needed to execute a diplomatic decision.

At 19 sacked from a hotel where I couldn't actually leave hence they had the time to officially let me go.

Once at 23 where I, erhm, let my inner demons take over and started manipulating people into submitting for misleading subscriptions as a street fundraiser. Mere greed if you'd ask me, as I still highly respect and aim to participate and contribute my forces and dedication as a charity activist.

Same thing happened a year later but in more dramatic ways for the same job but ironically different country. But in the latter there was an influencing context to be taken into consideration.

kallyw
11-19-15, 02:15 AM
How many of you have been fired (terminated is the business term) from a job? This makes 3-4 times for me. The last one I put great effort into...like 12 hour day effort, and still failed. I have had more than 25 jobs in my life (I'm 57) and over half have been fired or layoff. In one instance, I was the only one not kept from our group during an outsourcing. So I guess you could say that was performance related also.

So a lot of these layoffs have been in I.T. I'm starting to think that my A.D.D. is not a good fit for an I.T. career :-)

Can you specify what exactly is the reason that you got fired? Or give us an example. I think IT is too broad. Some part would be very tedious and repeating, and is also very detail orinted ; while some other part needs a lot of creativity, designing, and everyday is different. I definitely think the later one suits ADD patients better than the former one. I felt very bad while doing a job I dislike and the chance of making mistakes is much higher than when I do the jobs that are more suitable for me. So as an ADD, try to do sth you like, but do not stay on a job not suitable for you, or you will easily get fired. Also, I guess you was not very well able to manage your relationships with your boss and other colleages- correct me if I am wrong.

acdc01
11-19-15, 08:58 AM
My opinion, once you get your insurance back get meds as soon as you can. You've gone your whole life trying without meds and it has been so tough. Try the meds next time.

I agree with kallyw wondering what type of IT job do you have right now and whether another job that does different type of work but still within the same IT field might be better for you.

If you decide to switch careers and get out of IT, you are unskilled labor that needs to get a job immediately so don't have time for training. In which case, I recommend you scan down the jobs classified section of your newspaper and see what you like and can do. Look for jobs where your weaknesses won't hurt you as much and might be in a field that you could ultimately build a career in once your immediate need for money is solved and you can train if needed.

Do you have strong, decent, or weak people skills?

When you say you have a confused mind, what does that mean (i.e. can you not problem solve well)?

Would a job that involves helping others motivate you? Which "others" (i.e. plants, animals, adults, or kids)

guffman44
11-19-15, 05:22 PM
Can you specify what exactly is the reason that you got fired? Or give us an example. I think IT is too broad. Some part would be very tedious and repeating, and is also very detail orinted ; while some other part needs a lot of creativity, designing, and everyday is different. I definitely think the later one suits ADD patients better than the former one. I felt very bad while doing a job I dislike and the chance of making mistakes is much higher than when I do the jobs that are more suitable for me. So as an ADD, try to do sth you like, but do not stay on a job not suitable for you, or you will easily get fired. Also, I guess you was not very well able to manage your relationships with your boss and other colleages- correct me if I am wrong.

The reason I was fired was for performance issues. I made mistakes, but was always trying to correct them. There were no complaints from anyone I worked with. I was always my worst critic, which looking back was a major mistake on my part. This was a very detail oriented job, with a lot of reporting in Excel and Powerpoint, two programs I was not very familiar with. So I struggled with that part. I was doing so much reporting, that I had little time to handle Risk events. This type of job was new to me. They hired me for my IT experience, but the job really had very little to do with IT.

The biggest problem I have is organization of my thoughts, and anxiety that I won't be able to come up with the right answer, or a quick answer. So instead of thinking things through, I give up easy and ask for help. This doesn't go over well with coworkers who have their own work to do. I also take more time than the average bear to complete my work, mainly I think because of the constant other thoughts swimming through my brain. I was always a slow test taker in school, even if I knew the material backwards and forwards. It's just the way it is. I also have a big problem listening, understanding, and remembering what I have been told. I have what I would call blinks during conversations. I will try to intently listen, but then my mind starts drifting off into other things. I have to have people repeat things a lot, which again causes some consternation.

Is this part of A.D.D., or is my brain much more damaged than I even thought?

Little Missy
11-19-15, 05:28 PM
Sounds like me. Sometimes even with my meds.

guffman44
11-19-15, 05:37 PM
My opinion, once you get your insurance back get meds as soon as you can. You've gone your whole life trying without meds and it has been so tough. Try the meds next time.

I agree with kallyw wondering what type of IT job do you have right now and whether another job that does different type of work but still within the same IT field might be better for you.

If you decide to switch careers and get out of IT, you are unskilled labor that needs to get a job immediately so don't have time for training. In which case, I recommend you scan down the jobs classified section of your newspaper and see what you like and can do. Look for jobs where your weaknesses won't hurt you as much and might be in a field that you could ultimately build a career in once your immediate need for money is solved and you can train if needed.

Do you have strong, decent, or weak people skills?

When you say you have a confused mind, what does that mean (i.e. can you not problem solve well)?

Would a job that involves helping others motivate you? Which "others" (i.e. plants, animals, adults, or kids)

I actually have really good people skills. Sometimes I wonder if I should have been in sales. I was okay at it when I was a lot younger, but I was somewhat more introverted then. If I went into sales, it would have to be a product that interested me.

As far as IT goes, I have 4 certifications that I passed tests for. However, within the IT industry, there are those that test well, but have trouble putting their knowledge into practice. I am one of those people. A business I once worked for gave me a test before the interview to test my knowledge. I had one of the highest scores that ever tested for them. But when it came to the job itself, I couldn't do it. Of course it was at a place that had one of the worst environments for an A.D.D. person: phones constantly ringing, people sitting not more than 3 to 4 feet away from me talking to each other or on the phone, etc. I would get so nervous at client sites that I would forget a lot of things and take more time to do things than my coworkers. So anxiety plays a lot into my performance also.

As far as meds go, I would really like to try Adderall, or maybe stay on Focalin longer than I did. But without insurance, I am screwed right now.

Little Missy
11-19-15, 05:41 PM
Guff, if you can get a script there a bunch of discount Rx things you can either get from your doc or online. One is called Good Rx. Google it!:)

madmax988
11-19-15, 06:04 PM
yes it seems IT and ADD do not mix. I can sit here comfortably and think about how well and how perfect quality work I could do,become an "employee of the month" and in real;when I do work,my mind slowly starts to drift off and I keep getting forgetful.Heck, I even repeat whatever work I wanted to get done 2-3 times atleast. But a harsh reality is imo, I.T. HATES people like us to the bone. Technically my last job was IT related and more about ridding the software/app off bugs and usability testing, I thought I was doing a good job for the day,didn't create any problems at work at all,no one was bothered, I come home,have some tea and all of a sudden got a stinker in the form of getting fired directly.bummer. Also, is it just me or anyone else needs to repeat the same work over and over as your concentration fizzles out half way and you need to get back to task at hand. And your colleagues cannot help you
as they're far too busy themselves.
I seriously think its far better to follow our dreams and see how it pans out rather than to follow someone else's just to get nothing in return.

acdc01
11-19-15, 06:24 PM
yes it seems IT and ADD do not mix. .

I personally do not agree. IT is often considered one of the better jobs for ADHDers. But I think it's probably the hardware side of things like the ones where you go from location to location setting up computer systems for peoples office spaces (this way they aren't stuck at a single desk all day). Or maybe like the Best Buy geek guys that fix hardware.

Also, in general, there really isn't one job that fits all of us.

acdc01
11-19-15, 06:41 PM
That's great that you have good social skills guffman44. It's actually a very important skill to have and opens up a lot of jobs.

Look online or in a newspaper and see what sales jobs are available right now if that interests you. The great thing about sales is you can make a stinking load of money right off the bat as experience really doesn't matter as much. You have to pick the right product to sell though for great financial success. And I have a feeling some areas of sales might be ageist and prefer people in their 20s-30s. But I'm guessing some areas don't care what age you are.

Real Estate agents make a crap load of money if they are successful ones and they get to drive all around and look at peoples homes all the time. Schedule is flexible too though clients seem to want things asap all the time - no real separation between work and private life. One problem with real estate is that the initial investment needed is high (to get licensed, marketing, a car that looks good, etc). Plus you really have to be self-motivated as you have to put in the effort to look for clients yourself. I actually wouldn't do it myself cause of the pressure. They seem to have to get things done quickly and right away. But that could be good and bad for ADHDers.

In my area there is a great demand for technicians that install the internet services into the home (i.e. fiber connections). Don't know if it's the same in your area. This puts your IT and customer service as you do need to talk to home owners. Allows you to not be stuck at one desk. But you have to be able to troubleshoot and they crawl under houses sometimes where there might be rodents (i.e. to install a cable under the house).

Again, I recommend skimming the help wanted to see what you like. A lot of times, the jobs where you feel like you are actually helping people and contributing the world in some way are the ones we enjoy most (though this is not true for everyone).

finallyfound10
11-21-15, 02:00 AM
Hi,

I am sorry that you lost your job. The job that I am in right now isn't a good fit for me right now either and need to figure out if I should stay or look for something else. I haven't been fired but have had issues at most of my jobs and quit before it got that far.

When I didn't have insurance and wasn't making much money, I was in Johnson and Johnson's Patient Assistance Program for Concerta. It was a Godsend. I'm sure all of the Big Pharma Co.'s have them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

acdc01
11-21-15, 04:32 AM
Finallyfound10 has a good point about prescription assistance programs. Course the biggest cost is seeing the dr. to get a prescription compared to cheaper meds like Ritalin. You most likely qualify for Medicaid although I don't know if psychiatric appointments are covered - I would think they should be.

guffman44
11-22-15, 03:38 PM
Finallyfound10 has a good point about prescription assistance programs. Course the biggest cost is seeing the dr. to get a prescription compared to cheaper meds like Ritalin. You most likely qualify for Medicaid although I don't know if psychiatric appointments are covered - I would think they should be.

I never thought of Medicaid. I thought about Obamacare, but I think it will go the way of the dinosaur by next year. Seems to be hemorrhaging a lot of money, is expensive, and has high deductibles. I will check, and thank you for the suggestion.

guffman44
11-22-15, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I am sorry that you lost your job. The job that I am in right now isn't a good fit for me right now either and need to figure out if I should stay or look for something else. I haven't been fired but have had issues at most of my jobs and quit before it got that far.

When I didn't have insurance and wasn't making much money, I was in Johnson and Johnson's Patient Assistance Program for Concerta. It was a Godsend. I'm sure all of the Big Pharma Co.'s have them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you for that suggestion. I will check into it.

I really thought about quitting, but I wouldn't get unemployment. Then I would have nothing. I will let them fire me or lay me off. It really doesn't have the stigma it used to. I will have references that will tell my future employer how hard I worked at this last place. For only being there 3 months, I made a lot of friends.

indianrunner
11-24-15, 11:52 PM
Thank you for that suggestion. I will check into it.

I really thought about quitting, but I wouldn't get unemployment. Then I would have nothing. I will let them fire me or lay me off. It really doesn't have the stigma it used to. I will have references that will tell my future employer how hard I worked at this last place. For only being there 3 months, I made a lot of friends.

Sorry for the job loss. I am about half your age, working on and off for about 8 years. my breaks have been as long as 18 months between jobs. Had to quit my last job to move to a different state with my wife. ironically, it was the longest job i held ( just about 2 years).

We ADHD buggers are too good at any given job, until it crosses 3-4 hours a day, especially when we are untreated. Doesn't really matter which field your job is in, we get bored of everything very soon. For ADHD buggers like us, the following job profile suits a lot better.
1. Part-time, never more than 4-6 hrs a day, or on a streatch.
2. Doesn't require us to work in the first part of the day, we work a lot better when we start our day at noon.
3. NOTHING that gives us free time behind a desk. Cash register managers, Cab drivers, Sales & marketing executives etc.

* Looking at your messages, have you ever tried your hand at Motivational speeches or Human resource training or Just maybe tutoring people in the IT?

From another ADHD bugger trying to complete his education.

guffman44
12-01-15, 02:26 PM
Sorry for the job loss. I am about half your age, working on and off for about 8 years. my breaks have been as long as 18 months between jobs. Had to quit my last job to move to a different state with my wife. ironically, it was the longest job i held ( just about 2 years).

We ADHD buggers are too good at any given job, until it crosses 3-4 hours a day, especially when we are untreated. Doesn't really matter which field your job is in, we get bored of everything very soon. For ADHD buggers like us, the following job profile suits a lot better.
1. Part-time, never more than 4-6 hrs a day, or on a streatch.
2. Doesn't require us to work in the first part of the day, we work a lot better when we start our day at noon.
3. NOTHING that gives us free time behind a desk. Cash register managers, Cab drivers, Sales & marketing executives etc.

* Looking at your messages, have you ever tried your hand at Motivational speeches or Human resource training or Just maybe tutoring people in the IT?

From another ADHD bugger trying to complete his education.

Thank you for writing me. I don't think I want to tutor in IT. Like most ADD'ers my short term memory sucks, and sometimes I have trouble speaking coherently. Much better at writing my thoughts. When speaking, I forget my place often, forget words, and other fun stuff that sometimes makes me hard to understand. I have so many thoughts, and they can't all come out at once. I don't know how I could be a motivational speaker because they are usually successful at something, and transfer that knowledge to others. I guess one thing I have been successful at is surviving. I think there are others that would have off'ed themselves by now if they had lived my life. But even though I am tempted sometimes, I am a survivor and I will get myself out of this.

Funny that you talk about being at a desk, because one of my most successful jobs was a contract job I did for 2 months. I was constantly fixing problems with printers and other PC hardware. Nothing really in depth, but very challenging none the less. Anyway, I was always on my feet running to some part of the factory to fix some computer issue. It was pressure packed, but exhilarating. When the contract was done, the guy in charge told me I was the best contract person they had ever had there doing that job. Now, I'm not physically hyper, but I do seem to do better when I am active.