View Full Version : What does an antidepressant do?

Drexir
11-22-15, 09:22 PM
This may seem like a stupid question. But considering tuesday (Nov 24th) will be exactly four weeks since I started Celexa 40mg I was wondering since I was told it may take up to 4 weeks give or take to feel better. How will I know if I feel better?

Will I just stop having suicidal thoughts? Will I feel somewhat normal level of happiness I guess? Will the effect be sudden or gradual over a couple days-weeks?

I've been hospitalized five times in the last month and half. I didn't even know I was depressed before my first hospitalization. The doctor told me I could have been depressed for four years and it wasn't till recently that I just kinda completely gave up. It's been a terrible feeling. 3 months ago I had my jaw fractured in two places I would take that any day rather than have this feeling.

I just get these random urges almost on a daily basis with intent on suicide and I cut myself. The last hospitalization I wasn't even out for a full 24 hours and cut so badly that I had to get staples put in my arm. I was hospitalized for a week again. And then the day after I got out. I started cutting again.

My point is it's been the longest month of my life. Afraid that at any moment the urge will come over me. I feel like a really weak person.

sarahsweets
11-23-15, 05:13 AM
The idea I think behind antidepressants is to balance the chemicals in the brain that arent working right, at least thats my really dumbed down opinion. For me, it wasnt instant, over time I realized that I didnt feel that cloud of pain and saddness hanging over me.

Fuzzy12
11-23-15, 07:13 AM
You are not a weak person. When I'm depressed, I feel like the scum of the universe but that's (mainly:rolleyes:) just the depression talking.

The first time I took anti depressants, the effect started kicking in within a few days (but it pooped out fairly quickly as well) though normally it can take up to 6 weeks, I think. I'm not sure how to explain it. I think, I slowly started feeling a bit lighter, as if this huge stone that had been lodged in my chest was starting to disintegrate a bit. I also stopped ruminating and obsessing so much.

It can take a bit of time to find the right anti depressant and the right dose. Are you seeing your doc again sometime soon? It might be worth trying something else.

Drexir
11-23-15, 12:01 PM
That's weird you guys felt the effects in less than a week. I was on Wellbutrin for a little bit and I felt that within a few days but I think that's because it's also a mild stimulant and I have ADD and low energy.

The celexa i'm taking the max dosage which is 40mg.

And my psychiatrist wanted me to follow up within two weeks. And that would suck if I had to start a new anti-depressant and wait another six weeks. I could barely wait 4 weeks currently.

katrin-ru
03-30-16, 07:07 AM
In general, they work by inhibiting the reuptake of specific neurotransmitters, hence increasing their levels around the nerves within the brain.http://undepress.net/antidepressants-how-do-they-work-types-choice-list-of-antidepressants/

badwolf616
06-05-16, 10:09 PM
sounds like you need some talk therapy along with the meds. i know this is an old post but hope youve found some more help by now